ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is WinZip still worth updating?

<< < (3/15) > >>

db90h:
No.

I personally use WinRAR (licensed). It is very affordable. 7z is a great F/OSS alternative, but not quite as mature in the UI department as WinRAR.

WinZIP? Come on ;p. It's been nothing more than revenue machine with little real progression for ages, afaik.

Carol Haynes:
Used to use WinRAR but now use 7z which seems to have got better over the years and is pretty quick and supports most formats.

flamerz:
im another winrar user... just surprised about many of you still use it as main compressor.

Ath:
Hm, I fail to see any advantage of WinRar over a free compression tool. Despite your recommendations :-\.

Any time I use WinRar (on someone else's machine) for a file I want to extract from a subfolder in an archive to a totally unrelated subfolder on disk, it insists on prefixing the file with the path inside the archive, so I have to move it in the intended location afterward. It's probably a setting somewhere, but it's just daft that it's on by default. Never have that with any of the other archivers.

app103:
When WinZip moved from 9.0 to 10.0 they asked everyone to pay again. I didn't and continue to use my old 9.0 version, but I only use it to zip files from Explorer's context menu, for distribution on the web. I don't assume people have something else installed to support extracting other formats.

For my own locally stored archives and for extracting stuff acquired elsewhere, I use WinRar from Explorer's context menu, the free anniversary version (3.5) they gave away back around 2006.

If WinRar can't do the job then I reach for 7zip, which has only happened once or twice.

I wasn't too thrilled when WinZip decided not to honor their previous lifetime licenses, and took an approach into scaring people to upgrade. They introduced proprietary technology and attempted to plant the thought in their user's heads that if they didn't pay up that they would one day find themselves with zip files they couldn't open. You were expected to pay and upgrade because "everyone else is doing it".

I knew better and decided not to encourage them. Anyone with any sense in their heads would shun their new proprietary stuff, knowing that not everyone would be able to extract it. Therefore any version of WinZip above v9.0 is a complete waste of money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version