ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is WinZip still worth updating?

<< < (6/15) > >>

Ehtyar:
People still use Winzip?
-Josh (February 07, 2012, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
People still use WinRAR?

Ehtyar.

40hz:
People still use Winzip?
-Josh (February 07, 2012, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
People still use WinRAR?

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (February 07, 2012, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know a few people that still swear by it for reasons they're never quite able to explain in ways I can understand. But they're all VCIW types anyway. If it ain't obscure, abandoned, or a hopelessly lost cause, they're not happy with it. ;D

Target:
I know a few people that still swear by it for reasons they're never quite able to explain in ways I can understand.-40hz (February 07, 2012, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I pretty much use 7Z exclusively these days, but winrar does a few things (via the GUI) that I haven't found in any of the others, specifically round building or extracting multiple archives (sorry I don't have it installed on my work machine, so I can't be more specific).

granted these aren't things I use very often, but they are very handy when you do

NigelH:
One thing that WinZip has that no other zip tool has (that I'm aware of), is the checkout feature.
I used to find this pretty useful for s/w with no installers.

I think someone posted recently asking for a tool that could do something like this with DC tools
Nirsoft has one, although it appears broken under Windows 7 NirSoft Zip Installer

rjbull:
You'd better be aware jZip installs (or tries to install) add-ons, set your browser homepage and add a search-toolbar.-Ath (February 07, 2012, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Grump.  I didn't notice that  >:(  Thanks for the heads-up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version