topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Searching a good Screenrecorder  (Read 25846 times)

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Searching a good Screenrecorder
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:38 AM »
Hi,

last weekend I wrote about 45 pages documentation on a Typo3 project with tons of screenshots. It took me the whole Saturday and Sunday. It has taken only 1 - 2 hours, if I had the chance to record me steps through the Interface. Earlier this week I found a free version of Camista Screen Recorder (an old version) which doesn't meet me requires. I surfed around the web and found TurboDemo which looks great, but costs a gigantic amount of money ;). So the question is: Do you know any Screenrecorder with a reasonable price, which produces interactive Flash Movies and allowes me to annotate the Clicks?

thanks in advance

bye
Andreas

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Searching a good Screenrecorder
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 05:44 AM »
What better than DC's Best Screencasting Tool review to answer your question? ;)

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 05:55 AM »
Oh my god - I found it 1 second before I read your reply... Im such a moron ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:03 AM »
there is a 50% discount on bb flashback still ongoing for dc members.

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:44 AM »
Check also the free Wink.

Bye!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 08:29 AM »
see also some other screen recorders (free and commercial) in the discussion area for that review:
https://www.donation...index.php?board=41.0

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 09:03 AM »
Looks like Wink 2.0 is on the verge of being released

One of the key missing features of Wink 1.5, sound, will now be incorporated in Wink 2.0  :Thmbsup:

http://www.debugmode...viewtopic.php?t=2455

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:45 AM »
Here's one I use from Microsoft with sound it's pretty good

Only Validation is Required: and it's free:

Windows Media Encoder 9 Series:

http://www.microsoft...encoder/default.mspx
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:52 AM by Baseman »

Keilup

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • eBoxofStuff.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Looks like Wink 2.0 is on the verge of being released

One of the key missing features of Wink 1.5, sound, will now be incorporated in Wink 2.0  :Thmbsup:

http://www.debugmode...viewtopic.php?t=2455

Indeed.  Sound is in 2.0 and the first 2.0 release is nearly ready.  Good chance it'll be out within another week from now.

Another new feature often asked for is undo/redo along with multiple callouts and buttons per frame.  It's shaping up to be a fine release.  Stay tuned...

Keilup

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Searching a good Screenrecorder - Wink 2.0 Released
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 02:26 AM »
Wink 2.0 has been released.  :D

http://www.debugmode...om/wink/download.php

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 02:32 AM »
wow, congratulations to the wink developer(s), thats great news  :up: :up: :up:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 02:35 AM »
anyone used it yet?

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Wink 2.0 has been completely rewritten:

New features:

• Translated to more languages
  • Undo/Redo
  • Unlimited textboxes
  • Unlimited buttons
  • URL Buttons to open a webpage when clicked
  • Image objects
  • Shape objects, create and use shapes just like callouts with no text
  • Audio (can record while capturing, as well as add/edit later)
  • Improved and simpler properties panel
  • Improved flow of control in output swf file so no more flickering of title/callouts when no buttons are used
  • Ability to disable frames in a project so they won’t appear in output

My first impression: Looks like old Wink and the only major new feature is Audio recording/editing.

Guess the result of the screen recorder review won't change much. Wink is the best freeware one and a very good piece of software, but can't challenge commercial solutions, like Camtasia or BB Flashback.

BTW: BB Flashback got recently updated to version 1.5. It didn't change a lot, but now it creates incredible small SWF files.

Here's a screen video I made for a friend the other day:

BB Flashback 1.5
http://data.wr975.com/patchcd.html  (218 KB)

And to compare, here's a video made with Wink

Wink 2.0
http://data.wr975.com/test.htm (480 kb)
http://data.wr975.com/donationcoder.htm (247 kb, by bmm)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 07:05 AM by wr975 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 07:36 AM »
thanks very much for the report and samples wr975! very very helpful.

i should say i havent tried wink 2.0, but last time i tried it it wasn't good at all at producing smooth flowing movies automatically (or at least i didnt see how to do it).  my memory is i had to tell it when to snap a screenshot. this new result you are demonstrating seems to suggest that it can make a nice video movie now, which is a huge improvement.  unless i was missing something before. which is possible.

thanks again for the samples, really helpful.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 08:02 AM »

BB Flashback 1.5

Wink 2.0

Interesting thanks. It is interesting to note the file sizes as BBFlashback seems to produce a longer more complex movie in less than 50% of the space.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 08:10 AM »
last time i tried it it wasn't good at all at producing smooth flowing movies automatically (or at least i didnt see how to do it).

It was my main interest to see if Wink 2.0 changed something in this area. Unless there's something I missed, it's exactly the same. Just like the old version it offers three modes.

• Single frame capture - You've to tell when it should do a snapshot
  • Timed frame capture - Creates a snapshot at a given intervall (like 4 frames / second)
  • Input Driven - Creates a snapshot every time you click a mouse button or press a key

My short sample was done with timed frame capture, 4 frames/sec. More frames/sec would make the video smoother, but increase file size.

For optimal use someone would need to change between the three recording modes while recording.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 08:13 AM »
ah i see, so its timed frame capture mode, i understand now.

Keilup

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • eBoxofStuff.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 01:02 AM »
Here's the official announcement of 2.0:

http://www.debugmode...viewtopic.php?t=2598

I also wanted to point out that Wink was not designed to capture and then present in a movie like fashion.  However, with 2.0 and the addition of sound, it comes pretty close.

I took a look at those 2 samples by wr975.  Quite similar.  Mostly just didnt' add the callouts to the Wink sample.  And comparing the costs between BB Flashback and Wink, well, there's no comparison there.

Personally, I think Wink 2.0 is a fine piece of software.  It doesn't do everything and it won't.  But it does a lot and does it well for free.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 01:07 AM »
not only that but wink may even be superior if your desire is to not record a movie live, but rather manually make one from static screenshots.

bmm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bent Møller Madsen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 09:04 AM »

BB Flashback 1.5

Wink 2.0

Interesting thanks. It is interesting to note the file sizes as BBFlashback seems to produce a longer more complex movie in less than 50% of the space.
-Carol Haynes (April 14, 2006, 08:02 AM)

From watching the two movies it is clearly the Wink movie that is more complex because there are more changes in screen contents in the Wink movie. Also the Wink movie was recorded with a gradient Title Bar that also increases the size. Finally the Wink movie could be smaller by reducing the number of colours (by adding a palette to the Wink project). I did a quick test trying to mimic the BBFlashback movie as much as possible (with textboxes and pauses) and got a 275 KB file from Wink. Still not as small as the BB Flashback movie but certainly much more comparable.

About the discussion of continuous (fluent movie) capture vs. frame based capture. This is matter of taste and the task at hand. Continuous capture is a easier to do (than automatic (input driven) frame capture) but also more prone to mistakes during recording since everything is recorded and not just screenshots of actual actions. I find continuous capture best for "simple" screencasting while framebased capture is better for "professional" tutorials/simulations.

While Wink can do continuous (timed) capture it is not in the same league as either Camtasia or BB Flashback in this regard and this is also not the goal of Wink. The best/smallest projects with Wink are done with input-driven capture that automatically captures screenshots for each key press and mouse click.

The afterwards editing of a project is easier in a framebased project than a continuous captured project. It is impossible to do simple edits of cursor position in both Camtasia and BB FlashBack. Interactivity is much easier to do in a framebased product. Although Camtasia has come a long way in this regard it is still not anywhere close to Captivate. I find Wink 2.0 more powerful than BB Flashback in both the editing and interactivity part.

And the price of Wink can't be beat as already mentioned. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 09:13 AM by bmm »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 01:35 PM »
From watching the two movies it is clearly the Wink movie that is more complex because there are more changes in screen contents in the Wink movie. Also the Wink movie was recorded with a gradient Title Bar that also increases the size. Finally the Wink movie could be smaller by reducing the number of colours (by adding a palette to the Wink project). I did a quick test trying to mimic the BBFlashback movie as much as possible (with textboxes and pauses) and got a 275 KB file from Wink. Still not as small as the BB Flashback movie but certainly much more comparable.
I didn't even note that and had to look in the settings why there is no gradient title bar. I recorded both movies on the same computer and saved the files in 32 bit. Flashback was configured to disable graphic effects while recording, that's why there is no gradient title bar.

mistakes during recording since everything is recorded and not just screenshots of actual actions.
It's truly a matter of taste. I rather erase some frames and re-record the mouse movement, than inserting screenshots I forgot. :)

In fact, if you keep in mind you can easily erase whole parts, I redo screen operations while recording. I just do the same again, and later erase the whole section where I messed up. The time bar in Flashback allows precise editing.

While Wink can do continuous (timed) capture it is not in the same league as either Camtasia or BB Flashback in this regard and this is also not the goal of Wink. The best/smallest projects with Wink are done with input-driven capture that automatically captures screenshots for each key press and mouse click.
True, I read here several times now Wink is not designed for live action capture. So my sample isn't a good example for Wink. Also it's not optimized and not showing anything Wink can really do. It's just a tiny sample. Nothing more.

If someone volunteers to do a proper Wink 2.0 sample, I'll gladly replace my link + even offer server space.

The afterwards editing of a project is easier in a framebased project than a continuous captured project.
Guess we won't agree. ;-)

I've been using Wink 1.5 for a long time and then I got Flashback. As someone who knows both worlds, I've to say it's easier in Flashback. But then, I've used Wink the wrong way. Input-driven capture was too much work, so I eventually started using timed-capture only.

It is impossible to do simple edits of cursor position in both Camtasia and BB FlashBack.
Can't speak for Camtasia, but Flashback allows changing the cursor position.

I find Wink 2.0 more powerful than BB Flashback in both the editing and interactivity part
Interactivity, yes. But it's a power user feature, too complicated for the masses. A "pause" is all I need.
Editing? Again, each to it's own. I say no. Wink 1.5 got quite a ressource hog with larger projects, editing got a pain. Also it's not quite easy to insert another Wink movie. Did Wink 2.0 improve?

And the price of Wink can't be beat as already mentioned

Agree 100%.  :Thmbsup:

Anyway, my last words about this:

Wink is a great freeware. For me right in the same league as Autohotkey or StrokeIt. And if I wouldn't have won Flashback, I'd be still using Wink.

For small projects and framed capture (screenshots) with some interactivity, it's the best there is. For live action it just can't compete with Flashback/Camtasia, at least not now... but these applications cost $200! No freeware should be compared with high priced applications, but people do. I guess this alone shows how good Wink is. Perhaps Wink will improve in the most important aspect: smooth videos/live action. Then it would rule. Now with audio recording/editing it probably beats middle priced solutions like Flashback Express/Snag It...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 04:42 PM by wr975 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 02:48 PM »
very well said wr975, i think your summary is exactly in line with my views.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 08:49 PM »
just to let you guys know, i tried My Screen Recorder Pro a while ago, it was not bad.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

bmm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bent Møller Madsen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 06:35 AM »
I did a little more optimization to the Wink project (now down to 246 kb) that mimics your BB Flashproject and have attached a zip file with the project and rendered file. You may replace your example with this one if you want to.

It is impossible to do simple edits of cursor position in both Camtasia and BB FlashBack.
Can't speak for Camtasia, but Flashback allows changing the cursor position.

I know it is possible to rerecord cursorpositions in BB Flashback but I don't find this particularly easy to do since it is hard to match the flow of the captured movie. Is there another way?

I say no. Wink 1.5 got quite a ressource hog with larger projects, editing got a pain.
Yes, when only using timed capture, projects can easily exceed 500-1000 frames which does puts Wink under a lot of strain. But a typical input-driven captured project is often only around 100-200 frames and can easily be handled by Wink.

Also it's not quite easy to insert another Wink movie. Did Wink 2.0 improve?
Wink is a bit different to other screencast tools in this regard but not more difficult (when you know the way :)). Multiple projects can be opened simultaneously in Wink and then it is a simple matter of copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop of frames/thumbnails between projects.

As we have already concluded, in the end it is all a matter of preferences and goals. :) Also while I think the screencast review at this site is really great I don't agree in all the conclusions because I have different preferences to match.

clif_notes

• Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2006, 10:02 PM »
Wow! Great back and forth on this thread.

I wrote about Wink some time ago, and I tried it long enough only to get a feel for it. It's hard to beat the experience of people who actually use it in a project or two.

I hope you don't mind if I reference this thread in a future article about Wink2. Better yet, I'd love it if one of you might volunteer to write a review, since you actually have used it. (Two paragraphs at most with a screenshot)

I always give full credit and offer to plug your favorite site. (DonationCoder?) LOL

Oh, I mentioned DC again in this week's newsletter.

http://freewarewiki.com/Newsletters

Thanks for the tip about the new stuff here Mouser.

Have fun!

Clif

Devoted to promoting freeware and free information