topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Universal Marker  (Read 6822 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Universal Marker
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:47 AM »
Universal Marker
When we have to mark a pdf (colouring the text like in the old student times) we can use any pdf editor
In the web and under FF with wired-marker or many other addons.
In a doc with a text processor
Obviously is not so easy to mark in a txt file, or in a html set downloaded to our pc.

How can I mark a HTML file downloaded ?

I am thinking in an application specially designed to mark all types of files or possibilities. The first care I supposed must be the position of the file in the pc (if you change the folder). I suppose is possible with an auxiliary database to control all marks.

Do you know any application with universal purpose or for some types of files ?

Best Regards

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Universal Marker
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:51 AM »
I have never heard about an application for this speciality. You asked two or three questions: One about html files: well, any html editor can do that, and another question about universal or at least "some" file types - I guess you mean text-based files: WordPad or any other Rich Text editor. But they might change the original format. If the file is not a text file, you can use almost any screen capturer's picture editor, but obviously only on a picture copy of the original "thing".

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Guess he's looking for a text marking tool like these but not limited to webpages, but all kinds of applications/files.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:38 AM »
I have never heard about an application for this speciality. You asked two or three questions: One about html files: well, any html editor can do that, and another question about universal or at least "some" file types - I guess you mean text-based files: WordPad or any other Rich Text editor. But they might change the original format. If the file is not a text file, you can use almost any screen capturer's picture editor, but obviously only on a picture copy of the original "thing".

Yeah Curt. Perhaps I am asking a some sort of internal database (or even a database in the cloud like some addons prepared to mark the web and share those marks)

I remember a trial : Xentient Labels

http://xentient.com/

http://xentient-labels.softonic.com/

but seems a project abandoned.

I think that project put the marks independly of the file. Only for mark file names in explorer. A sort of database control I suppose.

When you mark a book or a file you personalize.
In the case of the book is relatively easy delete the mark if were made with a pencil....
In the case of a file is simple made a copy of the original.....
Perhaps you want to have the ability to decide read/send with marks or not.
Or mark directly a simple txt file. Obviously that txt file will not be read with marks from other pc, unless you convert to doc or rich text.
 :-\

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Curt. Thank for the html advice. I don't knew any html editor can do.
Obviously FF is a simple viewer.
 :-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Guess he's looking for a text marking tool like these but not limited to webpages, but all kinds of applications/files.

That's exactly. I know some addons for FF for this purpose. But not a general script to write marks "everywhere" and control the marks.
Probably if you mark a example.txt in a folder and moves the file the marks are lost (in my suposition software....) .

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:44 AM »
And with this supposed software if you want to share the "modified" files with others pc you will need to "write" really or something like that.
Then some files are reconverted like a simple txt file with marks will be a pdf file , or a doc file......or an image file.....
 :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Xentient seems to be in the line of Ath too

http://posterous.com/#welcome

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Ejem. I am not a programmer, but seems a difficult target because of all the variables to control.

What do you think ?

By example. Mark a txt file : a phrase or something inside that file needs a lot of control. And is only a relative link because the mark don't "travel" with the file....
 :-\

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:03 AM »
Curt or somebody knows a super fast and light portable html editor ??¿?¿?¿?¿

Best Regards
 ;D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 05:44 AM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:31 PM »
I supposed must be the position of the file in the pc (if you change the folder). I suppose is possible with an auxiliary database to control all marks.
That's probably true.
Suggestions:
  • You can highlight and make notes in PDFs with. the standard (free) Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  • You could organise your ebooks with Calibre - E-book management (FREE).
  • You could collectively organise your document references, notes, highlighting and management with Qiqqa - Reference Management (FREE). (Seems to be taking on an increasing range of document types.)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I supposed must be the position of the file in the pc (if you change the folder). I suppose is possible with an auxiliary database to control all marks.
That's probably true.
Suggestions:
  • You can highlight and make notes in PDFs with. the standard (free) Adobe Acrobat Reader.
  • You could organise your ebooks with Calibre - E-book management (FREE).
  • You could collectively organise your document references, notes, highlighting and management with Qiqqa - Reference Management (FREE). (Seems to be taking on an increasing range of document types.)

Okis. I'll try.

:-*