topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Screenshot Captor 3 - Window Object and Scrolling Capture Screencast Videos  (Read 160157 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Some screencast videos demostrating how to use the new Object Capture and Scrolling Window Capture tools in Screenshot Captor v3:

Using object capture (multiple objects, capturing all children):
Screenshot - 2_4_2012 , 12_19_10 PM.png
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc19/sc19.html

Basic scrolling window capture:
Screenshot - 2_4_2012 , 12_20_10 PM.png
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc20/sc20.html

Another scrolling window capture:
Screenshot - 2_4_2012 , 12_20_13 PM.png
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc21/sc21.html

A more troublesome scrolling window capture (ms word):
Screenshot - 2_4_2012 , 12_20_16 PM.png
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc22/sc22.html

Performing a scrolling window capture and adjusting settings manually:
Screenshot - 2_4_2012 , 12_20_19 PM.png
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc23/sc23.html

When you need to scroll the contents MANUALLY yourself (new):
Screenshot - 4_25_2014 , 2_02_21 PM.png
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc29/sc29.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:02 PM by mouser »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, thanks for these nice screencasts. Especially the Word-one is very helpful :up:, though I've not yet scroll-captured any Word stuff yet, I'm quite sure I'll have to, sooner or later.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the kind words Ath  :Thmbsup:

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the screencasts (and the functionality!)  :Thmbsup:

I've watched the first two so far:

Using object capture (multiple objects, capturing all children)
Basic scrolling window capture

These seem to me to be good introductions to the new overall functionality covering the four paths on the initial screen of the new dialog:

• Save the selected Object/Region Image
  • Save the selected Object/Region Image and Choose Another
  • Scrolling Window Capture on Object
  • Capture Multiple Images, One for each Child Control

Heard / saw some nice tips:

• Ctrl+Click being blocked by some apps (and what to do in such cases)
  • Resetting after guessing / modifying margins and/or overlaps
  • Including the outer border in a final image

I think it's particularly useful to see concrete work flows along with commentary about what might be a typical order of operation and possible variations  :up:

On a side note, I've wondered about the placement of the "Test Window..." and guess buttons -- when I first tested scrolling capture I didn't know which controls / buttons might be useful to interact with and in what order.  Don't have any concrete alternative ideas apart from having those buttons appear above other controls -- but I'm not confident this would be clearly an improvement.  Any thoughts along these lines?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:23 PM by ewemoa »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the demo movies!
Tedious to do, I know, but most helpful for the halt and the lame — and I am at a limp standstill.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Watching:

A more troublesome scrolling window capture (ms word)

learned:

• (00:34 - 01:05) Interpreting the "Pre-capture Evaluation Report" can be helpful.
  • (01:36 - 02:03) Nice to know to look out for cursors impacting captures.
  • (02:51 - 03:42) About "Trim and Show" functionality + Fit button and working with "duplicates".
  • (04:11 - 04:16) It's possible to drag the "bar" under the number / arrow controls of the margin, overlap, and trim and show configuration items.  Neat!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Brilliant. Thanks mouser.
All makes sense. Now off to use SSC a bit more...    :)

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mousiiiiiiieeeee,

wow, awesome and informative videos. Love the new features of SC. Also the "capture all childs automagically" feature is very helpful for us when we are writing our manuals and documentations.

WOOHOO!
JoTo

peterlonz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great example of first class SW programing.
Though I do not personally have any great need for this, you have to also admire the quality of work & the effort that has gone into the presentation.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Extremely impressive! Next time I need to do screenshots for a Help file for one of my apps, SC will be my tool and a donation will be forthcoming.  I've tended to use Faststone Capture, but I can see how v3 of SC could save me a LOT of time when I want to capture images of multiple controls!

nsathishk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The only reason I have other screenshot capture tools installed is for scrolling captures.  From my experience as an application tester, I find that each tool captures of a couple of simple setups well for which they seem to have been designed and fails miserably in all other cases.
I tested the new enhancements in screenshot captor v3 against some of the most difficult setups I had to deal with in my job and can  confidently say screenshot captor does scrolling capture *better* than other free and commercial screenshot capturing tools (including snagit which uses a IE plugin for Internet Explorer capture which screenshot capture was able to best by guessing settings correctly even for pages with frames!)

A couple of suggestions:
1. Just like the rest of screenshot captor, there needs to be an (non-default) option for taking screenshots with minimal intervention - an option for always taking scrolling window capture (3) auto-guessing margins and overlaps after selecting the object & ctrl+click
2. Even the vertical (right) side) scroll bars can be trimmed - not sure if it was designed and didn't work only for me

peterlonz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's hard not to acknowledge the design & dedication that went into this program.
IMHO however, the chances that anyone using the program infrequently, could accomplish a satisfactory result, within modest effort & time constraints is extremely unlikely.
Sure, if you have a need to do this frequently, you might well get close to Mouser's skills, but otherwise forget it.
I quite often wish to copy multi-page datasheets that display on my browser in .pdf; most times only part of the first page is visible so you need to scroll for info.
Copy-paste generally does not work otherwise I would create a new pfd file in Word.
So I generally settle for "copy page", which is a Chrome option that seems to work, although I always end up re-opening to check!
This is at least intuitive.
I hoped Screen Capture would provide a one step alternative but so far no joy.
I can't say (unlike most here) that I found the video easy to follow either, because my V3 does not behave like the video.
This is getting all to hard except for the straightforward applications.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First, do not take my comments as detracting from the power that SsC brings. SsC is a great tool with a lot of power, my comments only refer to the scrolling capture functionality and are not meant as a detractor to the rest of the application.

I agree with nsathishk in that there needs to be a simple way of performing a scrolling capture without having to tweak the options in place. I do a lot of capture for scrolling windows and use these captures for tutorials, documentation development, and a few other projects, and when I capture, I want it to be as simple as possible. 9 times out of 10, I do not want to tweak any options, I just want the tool to capture the window and provide me the option of saving or editing the capture.

I am also in agreement with peterlonz in that I need a simple option. There is a lot of power in the tweaking options, but to take a simple screen capture of a scrolled window, I haven't found a way to reliably capture a scrolling window in SSC. Browser windows, mirc windows, scrolling word docs, and some of the sources I use for tutorials or documentation purposes all result in "seams", overlaps, or multiple captures of the same area in the final product.

robbero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm very very happy with the power of this great scrolling functionality. I do a lot of scrolling capture and noted in the past (using other software) that most software did not handle the scrolling capture very well. Almost no software does a correct scrolling capture in mozilla browsers. I often tried various software for a single scrolling capture screenshot to find out which one had the best output.
Now with these new functionality I have to say that I never used an other software for scrolling capture any more. SC has all in it.

Personally I don't have problems to pass every time the scrolling capture options but maybe there is a way to have two kinds of scrolling capture: Maybe mouser can separate them in automatic way / manual way. I don't know.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice indeed. I have some sort of problems but I think are my fault. I keep trying.
 :-*

BabyToys

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello. Howcan  I can hide/remove object scrolling and capture tool window. I tried to make screenshots and this window each time pop-up . How can I  hide this window. I tried all of available settings.

Thank you.

cmori

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello.  Wondering if the videos still active? 

I have clicked and got only a blank page with start arrow which does not work for me.  Not sure if my computer or if vids not active.  Trying to see how to do a continuous scrolling capture. 

My current capture (using v.4.8 not Captor 3 from Subject line) results in separate pages while I prefer a top to bottom scroll with no divisions, if this feasible. 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello.  Wondering if the videos still active?  

I have clicked and got only a blank page with start arrow which does not work for me.  Not sure if my computer or if vids not active.  Trying to see how to do a continuous scrolling capture.  

videos are still active; I have mixed success with this depending on the page in question, but getting a look at the video definitely helps :-)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've added a new video above demonstrating the new Manual Scrolling method:

Screenshot - 4_25_2014 , 2_02_21 PM.png
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc29/sc29.html

Epamitut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Please, for Editing/Saving Window: Enable image navigation throught keyboard buttons: Page Up, Page Down, Arrow keys, or others.

The Scrolling there by wheel mouse is slow, however in Irfanview too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:23 PM by Epamitut »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not following what you are saying.

Epamitut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi mouser.

That user can navigate the resulting image using the Keyboard, not just the cursor mouse dragging navigation bars.
The Scrolling images are large.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi mouser.

That user can navigate the resulting image using the Keyboard, not just the cursor mouse dragging navigation bars.
The Scrolling images are large.

after years of SC use, I discovered this year that using the rightmouse button with click & drag will pan an image.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
rightmouse drag is ESSENTIAL for working with large images in SC.

aparente001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I watched enough of the second screencast to feel overconfidently ready to give it a try.  A bunch of things went wrong and I'm not sure if any of the screencasts address my problems.  Also it's rather overwhelming to have a big list of screencasts.  (If they were text and screenshots I'd have an easier time skimming through them to find my problem.)  So, I apologize for not watching them all.

First problem -- I am using a trial version of some fantastic software called Draftable for MS Word to compare two files.  The results are so much nicer than what the built-in compare feature in Word gives me.  (I'm working with Word 2010.)  It's a bit like the compare plugin for Notepad++, in case you're familiar with that.

Draftable gives me two side by side windows and I can choose to lock them together for scrolling down, or to manually control the scrolling.  Screenshot Captor didn't want to select both windows.  I don't know if this would happen with Notepad++ Compare or Word Compare.

Second problem -- I started by selecting the left-hand file (window) but my capture didn't scroll -- it just gave me a little strip at the top.

Third problem -- I went back to my old technique, defining the region myself with the cross hairs and the dragging, but the capture didn't automatically get put into the clipboard as it used to do before I updated the software.  This is the problem that I really need to solve -- I can live without the scrolling feature.

I looked in the preference screens but couldn't find a solution.

Thanks.