topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anonymous on FBI Phone Call  (Read 5264 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Anonymous on FBI Phone Call
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:11 AM »
Well, it's not really phreaking anymore, but I suppose it's as close as you're going to get today:

http://www.scmagazin...obes/article/226231/

At one point during a nearly 17-minute conference call that took place in January between the FBI and Scotland Yard, the moderator -- an FBI special agent -- suggests that the call will be short because fewer than expected people ended up joining.

Little did he know that there was someone else listening in. They just didn't say so.

The call, which was recorded and subsequently posted  Friday on YouTube, involves FBI and Scotland Yard authorities discussing the case statuses of a number of alleged Anonymous and LulzSec operatives. In total, six people were on the call, but only five introduced themselves. The other was a member of the Anonymous hacking collective, who somehow had gotten a hold of the credentials to join the call.

The funny part:

"We're looking to try and build some time in to allow some operational matters to fulfill on your side of the water," he said. "So, we've set back the further arrests of Kayla and Tflow. We've got our prosecution counsel making an application in chambers, without defense knowing, to seek a way to try and factor some time that won't look suspicious."

Ooops. ;D

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anonymous on FBI Phone Call
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Nothing like having the upper hand on the other foot.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:55 AM »
The FBI is taking the matter seriously.

"The information was intended for law enforcement officers only and was illegally obtained," said a statement emailed to SCMagazine.com. "A criminal investigation is under way to identify and hold accountable those responsible."

Okay...

According to a New York Times report, which quoted an unnamed FBI official, one of the email recipients forwarded the message to his personal email account, which was then accessed by hackers.

...Looks like an open & Shut case to me...  :D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Hilarious!  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:04 AM »
We've got our prosecution counsel making an application in chambers, without defense knowing...

Applications? Applications? We don't need to show you no stinking applications...

Nice to know that the facts and law are so clear on this case of theirs that they don't need to resort to legal chicanery or otherwise attempt to ambush the defendant's counsel.

File this one under: "Can you believe this BS?" :-\

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:44 AM »
Needless to say, this is just going to make them angrier and make it more 'personal' for law enforcement. If I were involved with Anonymous or Lulz, I'd be scared ;o. This is ballsy stuff. I think the people who did this are too young to understand they can indeed go to prison.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:53 AM by db90h »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11 AM »
This is ballsy stuff. I think the people who did this are too young to understand they can indeed go to prison.

Especially now that they can shop around for a legal jurisdiction, and extradite internationally as needed to "send a message."

Not that you'd really need anything like a trial any more...

Officially determine this latest stunt is a "threat to national security" (Hmm...secret communications between two national policy agencies compromised? Yep, we can call it that!) and all those nifty new indefinite ( and optionally secret!) detention without charges or trial powers can be invoked.

And likely will be.

Right now, I think the risk of getting arrested is the least of their worries. Especially as this latest escapade has made it somewhat "personal" as db90h so aptly pointed out.

Too many people are laughing about it.

And the whole point of authority is making sure nobody ever laughs at the wrong time. :o

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:17 AM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:32 AM »
If the don't want people laughing at their little "scepters"...then they should quit waving them around all the time.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 11:58 AM »
@40hz: Indeed! These kids have no idea what the 'system' can, and will, do to them. If you listen to the phone call, they are just that too - kids. One is identified as 18, one as 15. When I was that age I thought I was invincible too. The Man showed me who the man was in short order though :o. Of course, nothing like what these kids will get from The Man. The Man was already wanting to make an example of them. Now, ...  Well, I anticipate a large roundup of individuals from around the world in the near future. Naturally they'll put some stupid codename on it. Operation Hackercrack or Operation Crackerjack .. Cops love a good 'roundup' name.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:17 PM »
The problem with these kids is that there's too much posturing and coup counting going on for their own good.

Part of it might be because many of them are approaching the real world with a 'gaming' mindset.

Messing with secure government communications is definitely not a game. If you're crazy and committed enough to do something like that, you should hopefully be smart and cagey enough to realize you can never claim credit for it - if you don't get caught while doing it. "Loose lips..." as the saying goes.

Because the minute you so much as hint of anything to anybody (and it doesn't matter who), your very own personal 'doomsday clock' starts ticking.

And the law has time on its side.