topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?  (Read 18993 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Are there any other outlets you can use, like 7Digital?
http://www.7digital.com
Based in the UK, so the chances are better.

Yes! Thank you! You sign up, they take cc or PayPal, and let you download an album directly as a zip file with mp3s at 320 kbps. The whole thing took less than a minute, and that includes signing up for an account. The prices are in GBP and way higher than Amazon or other places (0.99 GBP is about $1.5 per track), but at least it works exactly the way it should.

How about Rhapsody? I don't think you need to be signed up to buy tracks, and it doesn't look like it uses Amazon for the checkout.
http://mp3.rhapsody.com

Unfortunately, no go. US-only and they require a monthly subscription.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 06:44 PM »
I have emusic, is it on there?

I'll burn $1.98 and get TWO copies, then send you one. That ought to be close enough!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45 AM »
I'll burn $1.98 and get TWO copies, then send you one. That ought to be close enough!

Already obtained the track for tranglos from Amazon.  ;)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34 AM »
Are there any other outlets you can use, like 7Digital?
http://www.7digital.com
Based in the UK, so the chances are better.
Yes! Thank you! You sign up, they take cc or PayPal, and let you download an album directly as a zip file with mp3s at 320 kbps. The whole thing took less than a minute, and that includes signing up for an account. The prices are in GBP and way higher than Amazon or other places (0.99 GBP is about $1.5 per track), but at least it works exactly the way it should.

Glad to help!  :Thmbsup:

And props to 4wd for helpin' a brother out.  :Thmbsup:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22 PM »
I'm in the U.S. as well if anyone needs any help like this in the future.

I've done just as bad or worse when laws have gotten in the way of common sense.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I play a form of double satire by treating the law just like it's written, hopefully with the wink and smile that shows how absurd it is.

In general though, I'd rather just see a huge push for Creative Commons or similar, so that we take the Copyright engine out of play from the big companies.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Marek,

Let me know what you need - anytime - and I'll get it to you. Shouldn’t be this hard for you!

Jim

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 05:14 AM »
...There is one track (pretty niche) I specifically want to buy, but no, I can't:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Yes, that's exactly the problem I had last year. The songs I wanted for my daughter (Lily) were typically US$0.99 cents (NZ$1.19) at Amazon, but I was rejected by the Amazon shop as I was in New Zealand.
It took me 15 to 20 minutes to browse the local RIAA website. Buried in the basement of their site I finally tracked down a link to an approved online music purchasing service, where the price of the songs was typically NZ$2.38 each - that's 100% more.
I understood that message very well.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 07:03 AM »
Amazon UK does mp3 music too. Maybe they are more liberal. If you download a track into a shared dropbox folder, does dropbox makes the infringement as it copies your song onto the dropbox of another user?

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 07:13 AM »
Sorry to hear you can't use Rhapsody, as it is the best for allowing you to either 'just access' DRM protected music, *or* buy the track in high quality MP3 format. I cancelled it though, as I prefer Pandora streaming. Of course, I'm SoL if there's no net access, but music isn't a high priority for me.

While everyone has good intentions, I caution you guys here. But, break whatever laws you want to ;p. None of my business. I have no love at all for the RIAA or MPAA. They treat their consumers like criminals and have vastly over-priced all multimedia, in my opinion. Still ... I always caution people when they are talking about breaking laws in a public forum. Yes, I know, in my opinion this isn't even breaking a law - it's like giving a gift to a friend. BUT, in their eyes, it is criminal.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 11:46 AM »
BUT, in their eyes, it is criminal.

In their eyes humming a tune in the park is criminal.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 02:25 PM »
I'm sure if they had their way the only method we'd have to listen to music would be FM radios with integrated credit card swipe readers on the side.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 02:30 PM »
BUT, in their eyes, it is criminal.

In their eyes humming a tune in the park is criminal.

Pretty much. They've gone after cover bands playing local bar venues. And I'm not talking full out tribute bands either. Just people covering a general mix songs.

Someone with big concern about this is the jazz performance world where improvisation is the name of the game.

When improvising, it's a common and accepted practice to quote bits and pieces of other people's songs and solos when you're preforming your own. Nothing new here. This is how jazz has been played since day one. A jazz player is expected to master a vocabulary of themes, riffs, and 'standard' songs as part of their learning the idiom - and to be able to know how and when to use them. But now, there's a very real worry that everything jazz used to be about may be coming to a close with the ridiculous extremes that copyright rules are getting pushed to.

First it started with record companies sometimes putting restrictions on who a player was allowed to "sit in" with - which is another thing jazz is about since, at its core, it's a live-performance artform that thrives on the cross-fertilization playing with other musicians provides.

Now, some record labels are beginning to feel the need to put the music they hold (under contract) in silos as well...

Talk about bad acid!  :(

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 02:41 PM »
Pretty much. They've gone after cover bands playing local bar venues. And I'm not talking full out tribute bands either. Just people covering a general mix songs.

You're preaching to the quire on that one. (the story has been posted here a few times before) I had one of the aforementioned bars that (BMI) the Media-Mafia "raided" with a flock of lawyers back in the 90's. I've been hating them ever since. They threatened to hit me with fines of $25,000 per person per song played if I didn't apply for a (equally insanely priced) license to have some hick with a guitar murder a few songs on a Friday night.