ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?

<< < (4/8) > >>

40hz:
Zimmerman's case was particularly sad. The government didn't have a leg to stand on. The legal theory they went after him under wouldnt have gotten a first year law student a D if they presented it in class. And they frankly admitted as much.

But that didn't stop Uncle Sam's cowboy prosecutors from making Phil's life a living hell for a few years.

And that was enough to put the kabosh on most serious homebrew and independent academic cryptography projects.

Once again - your basic avoidance conditioning strategy.  :-\

tranglos:
@tranglos: Is Amazon complaining because:
1) Your IP appears from outside the USA?
2) Your account shows that you live outside the USA?
3) Your means of purchase, (ie. credit card), shows you're outside the USA, (which really shouldn't matter)?
-4wd (February 03, 2012, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Who knows. I guess it's not the IP, since if it were, they might just not show the listing to me at all. It's not the cc number, because they haven't asked for it yet (though they have it on file). I browse logged in, and they almost let you complete the purchase, until the page where you would enter or pick your cc. So I suppose it's (b).

When I browse audible.com (which is also Amazon) logged in, they don't show the audiobooks not available to me. But Amazon.com does, the teasers that they are.

Something to try next time.
1a) Use a free VPN, (eg. TunnelBear).
2a) Change your home/delivery address, (FakeNameGenerator).  Address doesn't matter for digital download.
3a) Purchase a Gift Card and then change your home/delivery address.

--- End quote ---

I suppose one of these could work. For (1a), I would be wary of completing a secure transaction through an unknown (to me) entity's network. (2a) doesn't work; I tried that once when I wanted to buy a Kindle book that was "US only" as well.

But I have an ethical (kind of) block against workarounds like these. Perhaps using the combined brainpower of Donation Coder regulars (and ir-) we can figure out a way to make this happen. Whatever we came up with, it would have to involve lying to Amazon about who the buyer is, so in the end it might be problematic in one way or another. But more importantly, we should not have to do this in the first place!

It's like discussing personal privacy against state and corporate snooping. Techies will say, just encrypt your email, or use Tor - and yeah, it'll work (up to a point), but it will only work for the techies and those lucky enough to have friendly techies nearby. If we have to resort to these sorts of techniques, we've already lost. Everyone has.

Do tell me if my horse is high enough already :-)

Stoic Joker:
Other than that... I cannot delete threads on DC, but if Mouser does, as maybe he should, the story will be complete :-)

--- End quote ---

@StoicJoker: See that? There's a perfect example of what I was talking about. People are beginning to wonder if maybe they should consider self-censoring themselves.

Brave new world indeed! TaoPhoenix was spot on when he characterized it as insanity.  :o
-40hz (February 03, 2012, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know, that's why I played off the line (to draw attention to it). ;)

TaoPhoenix:
Hence the corruption, once you allow that it becomes fairyland.

Heh do I have to spend $1.98, one copy for me and one for Trianglos? : )

Edit: Heh I have been saving hard to catch up on debts, maybe I can afford that : )

TaoPhoenix:
Playing with my tinfoil hat, I have been glacially designing a Whitelisted Media computer, where (almost) every piece of IP on it is categorized according to copyright legality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version