ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I, the good law abiding citizen, do not wish to engage in felony infringement of a song!
-TaoPhoenix (February 03, 2012, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

@40hz - Yepp, that "Avoidance Conditioning" thing does seem to be working...

TaoPhoenix:
Heh Joker, I have a small hobby of matching up news stories to former tin foil hat theories.

Look above you - "This thread already indexed by Google" (though I didn't see it listed top on Startpage even though they say they borrow Google results.)

If SOPA 1 and _____ followup had passed, in X years we really would get "real time crime and punishment" like in Judge Dredd. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. I clicked on a silly link in Sidereel and got a copyright notice three days later from my ISP.

It really isn't "make me a mix cd" days anymore.

40hz:

I, the good law abiding citizen, do not wish to engage in felony infringement of a song!
-TaoPhoenix (February 03, 2012, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

@40hz - Yepp, that "Avoidance Conditioning" thing does seem to be working...
-Stoic Joker (February 03, 2012, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

@SJ - Yep! That's why they do it.  ;D

Hmm..I'm just wondering...under the provisions of these laws...are threads like this one now also illegal since they're discussing ways to get around distribution restrictions? If it's illegal to attempt to circumvent, it might now be considered an act of conspiracy to even suggest ways. Even if they're presented with the old "purely for educational purposes" disclaimer and warnings.

It's a whole new post-ACTA world out there boys and girls! ;)

(Note: I'm only half-joking. I really do wonder if it is a violation of some law even having this discussion now. :'( )

tranglos:
Hmm..I'm just wondering...under the provisions of these laws...are threads like this one now also illegal since they're discussing ways to get around distribution restrictions?
-40hz (February 03, 2012, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter. What matters is we don't know whether it is or it isn't. That serves the purpose.

If it's illegal to attempt to circumvent, it might now be considered an act of conspiracy to even suggest ways. Even if they're presented with the old "purely for educational purposes" disclaimer and warnings.

--- End quote ---

As I understand DMCA (but IANAL and I probably don't), it's illegal to attempt to circumvent technical measures. Is it a technical measure? 

Amazon doesn't sell Kindle Touch outside the US. (Well, today they do, but until last night they did not.). So if you bought a Kindle Touch as a gift for someone abroad, would that count as some sort of infringement? Reasonably, it should not, and if you mailed it, there would be a customs duty to pay, but reason has little say when corporate profits are at stake. Personally, I can't really see how **not** selling a product shores up profits, but like I said, reason has no domain there.

Other than that... I cannot delete threads on DC, but if Mouser does, as maybe he should, the story will be complete :-)

TaoPhoenix:
Right, the mere under-the-breath asking if this is illegal highlights the insanity of it all.

A long time ago there was a discussion about the breaking of the "CSS" aka the "Content-Scrambling System" of DVD's. Discussion arose that if a working copy was illegal, how many steps could you remove the algorithm before it became legal? There were music songs, tshirts, and more made.

Someone even coded it into a number, thus theoretically making some number such as 32656265462565456256525552 illegal. (Because it was a 3rd generation removed key to restore the algorithm.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version