ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?

(1/8) > >>

tranglos:
On the margins of the recent wonders of SOPA / ACTA... I buy tons of (e-)books from Amazon, and every so often I check whether they let me buy anything else. There is one track (pretty niche) I specifically want to buy, but no, I can't:

That's free market for ya. A friend recommended I try emusic.com. They have the album, but (a) they want me to install their crapware first (it's Rovi Corporation, it cannot not be crapware) just so that I can download their mp3s, and (b) they don't just let you buy an album, you must buy a "plan", beginning at €12 a month. No can do to both.

Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?

From iTunes I wouldn't buy a cup of water if I was stranded on the Kalahari, because they are fascist and they make you buy the cup and the cupholder and you can't drink anybody else's water in their drinkware or their water in anyone else's glass - but, politics aside, they don't even have that track on iTunes. Good for them!

So would you buy me a single $0.99 track on Amazon? For DC credits or a PayPal transfer? And would that be a crime?

TaoPhoenix:

It shouldn't exactly be a crime, I don't recall the laws outlawing (yet!) that the purchaser must be the listener.

However the funny part is, "how do we deliver it to you?"

tranglos:
It shouldn't exactly be a crime, I don't recall the laws outlawing (yet!) that the purchaser must be the listener. -TaoPhoenix (February 03, 2012, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right, so as long as you promise not to listen :)

However the funny part is, "how do we deliver it to you?"

--- End quote ---

Email, if it's not too big (it's a single 3-minute track; not sure what bitrate Amazon uses).  If you have a website, you can upload it under some convoluted name. As long as nothing links to it, it won't be accessible from the outside. Or I can create an account on my ftp server where someone could upload the track (no public access there). Or it could be attached to a private messge on the DC forum, but (a) PMs don't support attachments here, and (b) we don't want Mouser to end up like Kim Dotcom, that would just be harsh. I even feel dirty discussing this purely theoretical concept here!

TaoPhoenix:

Email, if it's not too big (it's a single 3-minute track; not sure what bitrate Amazon uses).  If you have a website, you can upload it under some convoluted name. As long as nothing links to it, it won't be accessible from the outside. Or I can create an account on my ftp server where someone could upload the track (no public access there). Or it could be attached to a private messge on the DC forum, but (a) PMs don't support attachments here, and (b) we don't want Mouser to end up like Kim Dotcom, that would just be harsh. I even feel dirty discussing this purely theoretical concept here!

-tranglos (February 03, 2012, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly, you walked into my trap!

"How do I deliver it to you ... without making a copy?"  8)

I, the good law abiding citizen, do not wish to engage in felony infringement of a song! :)

A little heavy on the satire, but that's what SOPA and ACTA are all about.

tranglos:
And would you believe (of course you would) that this thread is already indexed by Google? It's the top link for "Rovi Corporation crapware" :-)

(And link #4 is to Wikipedia. Does that mean Wikipedia agrees with me that Rovi makes crapware?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version