Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 18, 2014, 12:43:55 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hard Disk Sentinel PRO - Mini-Review  (Read 18354 times)
peterlonz
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »

One thing that becomes clear reading thro' the above is that most of you have avery good technical grasp of your computers & associated hardware etc.
My objection TO HDSPro is that the process of setting the configuration for your own application is a very significant task & I became weary of all the tech stuff I had to consider just to do a half pie job of configuring.
For example you can arrange an eamail warning to yourself - not a bad idea - but how many of us can quickly do that - not me, it would take me some time to find the relevent info.
I could go on but in truth I have no degree of certainty that what I have done will be effective or at least as effctive as possible - this is not good.
I think a set of default configuration options should be inbuilt to cater for lesser mortals.
Also the above identifies a bug - what's the response from the authors?
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 03:43:45 AM »

...Also the above identifies a bug - what's the response from the authors?
Oops, I don't think we had identified a bug in HDS.
There were only two things I can think of that you might be referring to:
  • Case studies: The developer (Janos) at Hard Disk Sentinel sent me a link to some cases of problems discovered using HDS (that means examples/logs of hard drive problems which HDS has discovered on users' computers):
    They are under Support -> Knowledge base -> Hard disk cases, here: http://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_cases.php
  • Real-time performance monitoring: Registry settings necessary to enable this are not set by HDS, the user has to set them. When I set them, they were not sticking, so real-time performance monitoring in HDS was not enabled, or kept being disabled. I gave a quick ad hoc registry fix for it - documented in the opening post. Something - and I don't see how it could be HDS - is occasionally clearing the registry settings that enable this - they are not "sticky" at any rate. I suspect (but have no proof) that it might be CCleaner as that also seems to be responsible for occasionally knocking out the registry settings affecting xplorer¬≤ on my laptop. (I have a quick ad hoc registry fix for that too.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:48:16 AM by IainB; Reason: Minor corrections. » Logged
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 04:57:52 AM »

It looks as though the real-time performance monitoring registry settings, necessary for enabling HDS Pro's disk performance monitoring, appear to be getting deleted under these specific circumstances:
  • the laptop disk powers-down (part of battery power conservation scheme);
  • the laptop goes into "sleep" or other inactive mode;
  • the laptop is rebooted.

CCleaner does not so far appear to be implicated.

I suspect that this may be a laptop-only issue and that PCs (as opposed to laptops with battery power conservation settings) would not suffer from these effects.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »

Just made a few updates to the Opening Post and added this edit:

EDIT 2012-09-17:
Hooray! This seems to be an effective fix to the episodic real-time performance monitoring issue:
(for more info., refer HDS FAQ page http://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php)

The real time performance monitoring worked per the Registry settings workaround (see earlier edit below), but after some time (for example after connecting/removing external hard disk, pendrive or similar storage device) it stopped working and I periodically had to reset the Registry settings - i.e., the Registry settings change did not "stick". This was apparently caused by a function in HDS which provides for performance monitoring when a new device - e.g., an external hard disk - is connected/detected. When this happens, Hard Disk Sentinel has a function that clears the performance object cache and re-detects the performance objects. On some systems (regardless of hardware configuration) this function apparently causes the Windows performance monitoring settings in the Registry to be disabled.

If this happens, you can disable this HDS function as follows:
  • 1. click "start" (Windows) button and to the search field enter REGEDIT
  • 2. open REGEDIT
  • 3. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\HD Sentinel (or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HD Sentinel under 32 bit Windows), where you will see a lot of keys.
  • 4. create a new STRING key named DisablePerfCacheClear and specify a value of 1 for that.
Then restart HDS, which now will not issue this special function to clear the performance object cache when it detects the change of configuration, so the performance counters will continue working normally - once reset in the Registry. Those Registry settings should now "stick" and not need to be reset again.    Thmbsup
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »

A post from the future   ohmy

(It's still 16th here)
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »

A post from the future   ohmy
(It's still 16th here)
Yes, the date is in NZT - which is +12hrs ahead of UTC (GMT/Zulu), and +16hrs ahead of NYT.
(NZ is not far off the International Date Line.)

Mind you, that's nothing compared to my Thai wife who was born in 2517!
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »

Just made a few updates to the Opening Post: Updated application interface shots (added more) and amended some notes/format.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:42:13 PM by IainB » Logged
tn_dang
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 08:42:35 AM »

Special Cyber Moday offer: Hard Disk Sentinel Professional with 55% OFF

Promotional price: EUR 12.60 / USD 15.75 (retail price: EUR 28 / USD 35)

This deal is available until 26 Nov 2012, 11.59 pm (23.59) GMT
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 05:43:37 PM »

Just to make a note that the new registry fix (DisablePerfCacheClear) to enable real-time performance monitoring to persist, as described in the EDIT 2012-09-17:, in the opening post, has worked fine. It does persist, and is stable and is still working effectively a few months on.
It has not been undone even after having gone through several critical Microsoft Windows Updates (Win7-64 Home Premium), so I guess the fix is as good as permanent. The previous registry fixes to enable the real-time performance monitoring did not persist  - they kept getting cleared in an ad hoc manner by the Disk Performance Cache being cleared by HDS, often after Microsoft Windows Updates and/or the registry being cleaned by CCleaner runs.

Signed: Happy HDS Pro user.    smiley
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »

Was pouring over HDS reports whilst making a post in this discussion Re: How long do hard drives actually live for?

I had earlier noticed that the "Health" percentage had fallen from 69% to 60%, and went looking for the analysis.

Here is the overview as at 2012-02-03:

Here is the overview as at 2013-11-14:

Here is the latest problem analysis:

I distinctly recall at some stage banging the laptop accidentally against a door-jamb whilst moving it when it was still switched on. (Thus breaking one of my own rules about not carrying about an active laptop.) I also recall knocking it on my lap and nearly dropping it (whilst moving out of the baby's way.)
The analysis shows that a G-Sense event occurred around the date of the non-critical but unrepairable event #197 (Current pending sector count) appearing in the log. So, it looks like I did could have done this one myself. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:13:23 PM by IainB; Reason: Minor edit. » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.038s | Server load: 0.11 ]