topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Legitimate Ubisoft Games unplayable next week because of ludicrous DRM  (Read 3715 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Assassin's Creed, Might and Magic, Settlers unplayable during Ubisoft server switch (via Destructoid)

Normally, a day that the game is unplayable isn't a big deal... except that this is a situation completely of UbiSoft's creation because of their inane DRM.

Thanks to Ubisoft's insidious "always-on" DRM, legitimate copies of several Ubisoft titles will be unplayable next week. The publisher is shifting its servers, which would usually only affect multiplayer games, but will instead cut off access to a number of single-player titles that require Orwellian checkups via an Internet connection.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Three words: Good Old Games. (www.gog.com:-*

Bookmark it! 8)

:Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah... I get games there.  But that doesn't solve the problem... which was why I wanted to bring it to light.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ I can understand the pain. Somebody gifted me a Steam title a few years back to try to get me interested in PC gaming. (Why my friends think I'd be so great at computer games is a puzzlement to me. I like board games. But even then I'm still terrible at chess even if I can more than hold my own in a game of Go or Nine Man Morris.)

But I hardly ever use Steam - and I've only bought two other titles for it. I could never get used to how intrusive its DRM systems are. Sucked all the joy out of it for me.

Funny thing is I do play the stuff I can get on GoG.

It might be because I'm into retro titles (IMO much better gameplay and concepts even if the graphics can't rival today's newer offerings) but that's not the only reason. I really appreciate the fact the titles GoG carries don't treat me like a would-be criminal. And I also appreciate how they bend over backwards to get you all the spiffs (cards, manuals, soundtracks, extras, etc.) to make the experience that much more enjoyable.

Since I've opened an account on GoG back in August, I've bought maybe something like fifteen games - which is more than I bought in the last twenty years combined. And the main reason I did so was because I like not needing a web connection or being forced to allow something to put a modified bot or trojan or rootkit (let's call these things what they are) on my machine in order to play any of them.

In the meantime, my Steam account, with it's three titles, languishes unused. I think I'll just give my credentials to my game playing nephew next time I see him.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i've given up on Ubisoft long ago.

just a recent reminder that they don't care..

"We've heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about there being no version for them. But are these people just making noise just because there's no version or because it's a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?"
-Ubisoft dev
http://pc.ign.com/ar...s/121/1213362p1.html

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

just a recent reminder that they don't care..

"We've heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about there being no version for them. But are these people just making noise just because there's no version or because it's a game they actually want to play? Would they buy it if we made it?"
-Ubisoft dev
http://pc.ign.com/ar...s/121/1213362p1.html

The 40hz NSFW analysis of Ubisoft

From the Gospel according to 40hz (Ch:7 V:17):

The phrase "FUCK YOU!" takes many forms.

Ubisoft's above response is yet one more way of saying it.

8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

It's just hard when they make such entertaining games.  So I've started to have the policy of only playing ubisoft games on my xbox 360.