ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Main hard drive in my PC died today suddenly

(1/8) > >>

mouser:
This post is just a warning to all of you who are living dangerously and not performing regular backups.

This afternoon the main hard drive in my computer suddenly and unrecoverably crashed.

Luckily I had a fairly recent system backup, a spare hard drive, and a spare pc to do the image restore with.

Let this be a warning to you -- backup regularly and have a plan for recovering from a hard drive crash -- your next one could be right around the corner..

IainB:
Before the disk failure, had you been running any kind of real-time disk health status/performance monitoring tool?
If so, what (if anything) did it report?

iphigenie:
I have a thing for storage and backups
- use a combination of online sync/storage systems for backup - synchredible (game settings) and spideroak (others) mostly
- have 2 usb drives where (some) things are regularly sync'd and other irregularly
- have a nas where the same things are syn'd
- have genie timeline backing up selected files to either usb drive (laptop) or the NAS (desktops)

all these backups create a duplicate/version mess, but it's unlikely i'll lose a photo or document I know I want.
and yet I know that when a computer will get stolen or a drive will die, there will still be things I realise I should have backed up, or hadnt backed up a while. EIther things I forgot to add to backups, had waited to long to sync, or key files/settings I didnt realise were somewhere (eg: once made a custom object bar skin... still rue that loss as a valuable lesson)

Considered once making a site which would be a database of "whats important to back up" for all software and games... too much work but would be valuable :) But it would be a hugely valuable plus for a backup software to have shareable scripts/configs that set where key data is for each software and OS.

TaoPhoenix:
Heh "Too much work"

I don't have a full system image... I suppose I'll be nervous when I lose my drive - but I am trying to use my second drive as a curated save space for everything but the OS.

tomos:
...but I am trying to use my second drive as a curated save space for everything but the OS.
-TaoPhoenix (February 02, 2012, 07:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

and if that one goes? (asks the guy with a chaotic backup system...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version