topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Who needs SOPA? Website accused of defamation is closed by judge  (Read 10865 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Who needs SOPA? Website accused of defamation is closed by judge
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:35 AM »
Website accused of defamation is closed by judge

Damn... It just occurred to me... These people are BRILLIANT~! Seriously. They're making Einstein look like a mentally challenged version of Chris Dodd. Errr... well, for what that's worth anyways. Smart bacteria? Whatever...

With these outlandish chilling effects, it's no wonder that climate warming hasn't gone up in over 10 years! That's the answer! More censorship. More chilling effects! Stop global warming by silencing people!

BRILLIANT~!

:-\

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 07:33 AM »

Well, that article was British/Irish, so in a way the US brigade does want SOPA because it must sorta be necessary to stop those impudent free thinkers from winning the lawsuits without it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48 AM »
Well, that article was British/Irish...

fixed that for you there :-)
with apologies :) I seem to be giving you a hard time today (FWIW, I'm irish...)
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:50 AM »
@ wraith808: Very interesting reading. Thanks for the post.
@Renegade: For something potentially even more chilling in effect:
Secretary of State Clinton says State Department will coordinate with OIC on legal ways to implement UN's resolution criminalizing "defamation of religion" (that'll include on and off the Internet)
Spoiler
Secretary of State Clinton says State Department will coordinate with OIC on legal ways to implement UN's resolution criminalizing "defamation of religion"

Moving rapidly to criminalize telling the truth about how Islamic jihadists use the texts and teachings of Islam to encourage violence and supremacism. Free Speech Death Watch Alert, and an update on this story: "OIC/Islamophobia: OIC Observatory warned since 2009 against the growth of the extreme right in Europe, Washington plans to host a meeting on resolution opposing defamation of religions," from the International Islamic News Agency, August 1 (thanks to all who sent this in):

JEDDAH, Ramadan 1/Aug 1 (IINA)-During the next few months, Washington plans to host a coordination meeting to discuss with the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) how to implement resolution no. 16/18 on combating defamation of religions, and how to prevent stereotypes depicting religions and their followers; as well as disseminating religious tolerance, which has been endorsed by the UN Human Rights Council last March, in agreement with Western countries. The resolution was adopted after lengthy discussions held between the OIC and countries in which the phenomenon of Islamophobia is in the rise.
The U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had announced the intention of the U.S. State Department to organize a coordination meeting during her participation in the meeting which she co-chaired with the OIC Secretary General, Professor Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu in Istanbul on 15 July 2011. The meeting issued a joint statement emphasizing the dire need for the implementation of resolution 16/18.

According to informed sources in the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the two sides, in addition to other European parties, will hold a number of specialized meetings of experts in law and religion in order to finalize the legal aspect on how to better implement the UN resolution.

The sources said that the upcoming meetings aim at developing a legal basis for the UN Human Rights Council’s resolution which help in enacting domestic laws for the countries involved in the issue, as well as formulating international laws preventing inciting hatred resulting from the continued defamation of religions.

On the other hand, the OIC Secretary General, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, stressed that the crime committed recently in Norway was a result of the rise of the extreme right in Europe and its easy mobility in political circles. He said that the OIC had warned several times against of what might be called institutionalization of the phenomenon of Islamophobia through the involvement of the European extreme right in government institutions and political action....

Posted by Robert on August 3, 2011 2:16 PM | 111

Coming soon to a State near you?
If that doesn't make sense to you, it probably will if you take the perspective that it would be the introduction of an important piece of Islamic Shariah law, which makes it an offence punishable variously up to and including by death, to criticise Islam or make offensive statements/actions about Islamic beliefs. That includes those Danish (or any other) cartoons depicting Mohammed (pbuh). It's no joking matter!    ;D

Fair's fair, I say. If it can be illegal to deny the Holocaust of the Jews, then it should be illegal to defame Islamism. Oh, but wait...wasn't it the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem who...         :-[

Interestingly, the new law might find favour with not only Muslims, but also Christians, as it would also outlaw further exhibition of things like the so-called "art" of the Piss Christ (photo of a crucifix in a bucket of the artist's urine) and the eponymous Madonna in a condom statuette (covered in mock semen). Such exhibition of the Madonna has apparently (I gather) already been banned on at least one Internet site (in Austria).
But any exhibition of either artefact in any manner should be punishable by death anyway, as, from a purely artistic perspective, they are both egregiously poor pieces of a type of art which should be discouraged on principle - oh yes, and they are unnecessarily offensive too.    ;)
It irked me that they had been freely displayed in Government-funded museums/galleries.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:55 AM by IainB »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Governments are clearly threatened by the power of the internet to spread ideas and change the zeitgeist around the globe. Governments are fed up with their citizens overthrowing dictators and telling corporations to go f*ck themselves. Just like the US, they're militarizing their police forces and they're going to use the distraction called "piracy" (which they don't understand at all) to assert their authority over your life. Those same governments have no clue that they're sowing the seeds of their own destruction. The French Revolution is looking mighty good from the 21st Century!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Next step will be engineering a gradual reduction leading to the eventual end of open platform PC manufacturing. Afterwards, all there will be left are walled-garden devices licensed, monitored, and controlled by government friendly corporations.

This will be done because the government lacks the constitutional authority to issue regulations that corporations may impose at will - and can enforce thanks to patents, copyright laws, and things like ACTA/SOPA/PIPA which make it illegal to attempt to circumvent any restrictions they build into their devices.  

Do we now finally see where this is all leading? And why things like ACTA are getting signed all over the world despite public protest and concern?

It's not just the USA. Apparently governments everywhere have decided both the free Internet, and open hardware platforms, simply must go. And they want it gone not only from the backbone and the airwaves - they want it taken out of the hands of their private citizens as well.  

Brave new world ladies & gentlemen. It's called "Global Village." And the plans for it say there will be barbed wire fences and guard towers placed all around it.  

Welcome to the Age of the Panopticon. :tellme:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:48 AM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Well, that article was British/Irish...

fixed that for you there :-)
with apologies :) I seem to be giving you a hard time today (FWIW, I'm irish...)

Sorry, I plead "vague article" without doing extensive research. If I may feebly submit:

Opening line: "A JUDGE yesterday ordered a website to be shut down and said lawmakers should think about making it illegal to post "patently untrue" allegations about people on the internet."

Oops, I don't yet even know what *country* we are dealing with here! (Goes to look at the newspaper heading - Something.ie, okay, that's where the Irish half of my remark came from.)

"Sligo-based solicitor ... The action was against site operators John Gill, of Drumline, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co Clare; and Ann Vogelaar, of Parklands, Westport, Co Mayo."

Hence my exhausted post, I didn't know quickly whether those were Irish jurisdictions or British ones. So I hedged. :(

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:58 PM »
(New Topic)

What I don't get is why they're "suddenly" afraid of the Internet in 2012, why was life so grand with it all through Net 1.0 and Pets.com and all that jazz? I was kinda a tech newbie until about 2002, but I'd wager a hamburger that we didn't see some THIRTY vicious copyright/terrorist stories a MONTH in the 90's. Timothy McVeigh was ... just Timothy McVeigh. 9-11 became "The World Will Never Be The Same".

So we copied the living daylights out of stuff on the net in the 90's - where were all those lawyers looking for cheap bucks? The DMCA was passed in 1998.

What am I missing? How did we accelerate into the most vicious top-down control regime in five years?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:05 PM »
^
^no worries Tao ;-)
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:08 PM »
^
^no worries Tao ;-)

Hakuna Matata!

Right then. Back to stern serious stuff!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54 PM »
What I don't get is why they're "suddenly" afraid of the Internet in 2012, ....

Well, since the world ends on December 21 this year they've got to do what almost every politician seeks to do, feather their nest.  The best way to do this is kowtowing to corporations who also have no agenda other than to collect as much of the worlds assets as possible.

It's really just an extension of: Who dies with the most toys wins.

Disclaimer: I'm not cynical, I passed that stage 20 years ago.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:02 PM »
It's really just an extension of: Who dies with the most toys wins.

Whoever dies with the most toys, still dies. There is no "winning" to it ... Just a bunch of greedy vicious self-righteous monkeys.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Next step will be engineering a gradual reduction leading to the eventual end of open platform PC manufacturing. Afterwards, all there will be left are walled-garden devices licensed, monitored, and controlled by government friendly corporations.

Damn... It just occurred to me... These people are BRILLIANT~! Seriously. They're making Einstein look like a mentally challenged version of Chris Dodd. Errr... well, for what that's worth anyways. Smart bacteria? Whatever...

Wow, if you genuinely think these comments are related to the article, then you people lost all grip with reality.......................

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 07:22 PM »
What am I missing? How did we accelerate into the most vicious top-down control regime in five years?

"Yes, We Can!"
"Vote For Change"