topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A Siri challenger emerges. Meet Evi.  (Read 12649 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A Siri challenger emerges. Meet Evi.
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:29 AM »
Interetsting news from MIT's Technology Review (Link to full article here.)

we.jpg

New Virtual Helper Challenges Siri

An app named Evi uses semantic data to provide a wider range of answers.

Friday, January 27, 2012  By Rachel Metz

-----------------------------------------

The market for sweetly named smart-phone assistants is heating up, as Siri, Apple's iPhone-based virtual helper, just got a new "frenemy" named Evi.

Created by True Knowledge, a Cambridge, U.K.-based semantic technology startup, Evi, like Siri, can answer questions posed aloud in a conversational manner. But unlike Siri, which is only loaded on the latest iPhone, Evi is available as an app for the iPhone and phones running Google's Android software.

Siri and other personal assistants are still fairly limited. As they become more popular, established companies and startups will need to expand the range of tasks they can perform. True Knowledge is hoping the semantic database it has built up over the past few years could provide this edge.

Evi's availability and promise as an artificial intelligence app, coupled with its low price (99 cents on the iPhone and free on Android phones), caused its popularity to skyrocket following its Monday release, and made it difficult for those downloading it to try it out.  Evi isn't the only Siri competitor—and in fact its capabilities are somewhat different from Siri's offerings—but plenty of smart-phone users, it seems, are eager for Evi's help in particular.

<continued>

Seemed cool enough to drop a dollar to get it on my iPhone just to see. (It's free for Android. Are we surprised?)

I asked it: what is donationcoder?

It answered: DonationCoder.com, the website hosting a community of programmers and software fanatics.

Not bad! Dunno if I'd completely agree with that characterization since DC is so much more than that. But close enough. And correct as far as it goes.

A few quick questions yielded up mostly correct and useful answers along with some spectacular failures. Trick questions sometimes produced unexpected and very funny answers. But only about a third of the time. It is easy to deliberately confuse Evi. But considering how this type of search technology is in its earliest adolescence, that's hardly surprising. Straightforward technical and academic questions were either correctly answered or redirected to site(s) hosting the correct answers more often than not.

It's somewhat flawed overall. Your Google/Bing/DDG search skills aren't obsolete yet. But for what and where it currently is, Evi is quite impressive.

Right now it's more of a cool toy to play with rather than a serious tool. But with luck it won't remain so forever.

Fun! I'm gonna have to play with this some more... :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:35 AM by 40hz »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A Siri challenger emerges. Meet Evi.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22 AM »
It looks like we have cloned a whole new species!  Maybe we should ask ourselves about this new kind of monstors!   :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:26 PM »
^William Gibson called them "ghosts" (indulging in a little wordplay on 'ghost in the machine') in his book Mona Lisa Overdrive.

A ghost was a personal assistant visible only to the person it belonged to. It was the ultimate personal info assistant. It could look things up, find things out, remind you of appointments, make excuses for you...basically the personal secretary every busy person could have ever hoped for.

Evi ain't that by a long shot.  ;D

My personal dream is getting something like the Librarian in Neal Stephenson's sci-fi masterpiece Snow Crash. If you haven't read this book yet - do so!

Stephenson posited a world where knowledge workers "goggle-in" to a computer generated 3D world called the Metaverse. (After you read this book you'll swear this was where Second Life got its inspiration from.) The Metaverse is a mashup of everything you'd ever do online. It's the Internet, Facebook, Twitter, Steam, online shopping, web-enabled remote access and control, YouTube, NetFlix, Google, and several other things that haven't been engineered yet. And you interact with it by putting on goggles and using a 3D avatar instead of a keyboard and mouse. No brain implants required. This technology uses eye-tracking and other kinesthetic cues picked up by a camera mounted in every laptop which allows you to control your online avatar. After you get used to it, it becomes almost subconscious and automatic. Like walking or swimming or riding a bike.

Very cool. And very doable - even with today's technology.

Note: Google has the whole book up online. To get a sample of what the Librarian is, go here, navigate back to page 106 and start reading from where it says: He is no longer connected to the network by a fiber optic cable... and start reading.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Maybe we should ask ourselves about this new kind of monstors!   :D

No need, we can ask Evi.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Someone please come up with Ask Jenny  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Someone please come up with Ask Jenny  :D

Sounds good.

Better than what some government types may be hoping for instead:

fate.jpg

;)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:54 PM »
A ghost was a personal assistant visible only to the person it belonged to. It was the ultimate personal info assistant. It could look things up, find things out, remind you of appointments, make excuses for you...basically the personal secretary every busy person could have ever hoped for.

Hmmm... Evi + Google's new cross-service searching?  :o

CCpotter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:39 AM »
This sounds a lot of fun, i'm gonna try it on my phone now

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I got it and had a play with it. Its fun.
A bit useless in reality. I asked it how I could get a date with Taylor Swift and it only gave me her website :(

I have had an idea for a long time of what is needed and wanted to code it myself but I'm never going to be good enough.
I was a voice recognition keyboard.
NOT to recognise words, but to be totally local and recognise letters. When driving its not too hard to touch 'reply', then dictate, n-o-t-space-t-o-n-i-g-h-t-commar-space-t-r-y-space-t-o-m-o-r-r-o-w-space-eight-colon-three-zero.
Surely this wouldn't be too hard to code.

Anyone want to try?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:39 PM »
A bit useless in reality. I asked it how I could get a date with Taylor Swift and it only gave me her website :(

Don't give up, Fred!!! She's patiently waiting for you to find a way to communicate with her! ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:01 AM »
The first visit, I am glad to join this forum. After a lot of exchanges..

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find it to be as friendly a place as I have over the years. :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Siri?
Android?

Well: Alicoid.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 05:22 AM »

Don't give up, Fred!!! She's patiently waiting for you to find a way to communicate with her! ;)

There were those 2 college guys who set up www.ahugfromtaylorswift.com and she heard about it and ended up doing meeting them. But thats been done now, so I need something else.

Hey, I might get a song written about me. I'll make sure it includes a DC reference.. The royalties would pay hosting for a long time.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:42 PM »
There were those 2 college guys who set up www.ahugfromtaylorswift.com and she heard about it and ended up doing meeting them. But thats been done now, so I need something else.

I can't believe you haven't thought up www.akissfromtaylorswift.com yet!

* Deozaan registers the domain.
You snooze you lose! It's mine now. :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:17 PM by Deozaan »