topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: fast pdf preview  (Read 4493 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fast pdf preview
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:49 AM »
hello!

not sure if it has been discussed already, but I am looking about a way to open in a tooltip a preview of the first page of a pdf file

is there a program that can do that out-of-the-box or at least it can as fast as possible display a preview of the first page of a pdf file?

thanks!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: fast pdf preview
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:06 PM »
If you are using xplorer², you can open the "Preview pane" to display the contents of any file you are looking at.
In the example below, I am scrolling down a list of PDF files, and the Preview pane is displaying the first couple of pages.
If you enlarge the Preview pane, then you can read a single page (or part of a single page) in more (enlarged) detail.
This can be quite handy when riffling through downloaded documents with obscure names, before moving them to my library.
Spoiler
Screenshot - 2012-02-12 xplorer² Preview pane.png

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:24 AM »
Adobe Reader will provide both thumbnails (1st page of the document) and viewers/previewers, and I guess is what most people use.

If you are on 64-bit Windows, Adobe still haven't fixed Reader to generate thumbnails, but I fixed it for them:

http://pretentiousna...f_x64_fix/index.html

With Adobe Reader, plus that fix installed (or on 32-bit Windows), you could get an instant preview of the first page of all PDFs by switching to thumbnails mode. In Directory Opus you can also get the same thumbnails in the infotip you get when hovering over a PDF, if you put {thumbnail} into the PDF intofip definition. (Or, like I do, into the All Files infotip definition.)

You can also open the preview pane for Adobe's preview handler, which lets you scroll through the whole file. (The same preview handler that Windows Explorer uses, although in Opus we have some extra code that detects Adobe's preview handler and fixes several bugs in it, e.g. not repainting properly and not responding to the Tab key correctly. There's a list of those on the page I linked above.)

Last I looked, which is a while ago and may no longer be true, most other file managers didn't support preview handlers but would show PDFs via Internet Explorer which in turn would use Adobe Reader's ActiveX control. You can use that in Opus as well if you want, but it's not the default as it doesn't work very well on Windows 7 and/or later versions of IE, thanks to Adobe's brilliant programming no doubt. :)

PDF-XChange is an alternative PDF viewer that supports both thumbnails and preview handlers, without needing any fixes like my ones for Adobe, so you might want to look at that as well, and how well it works with Windows Explorer or whichever file manager you prefer.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00 AM »
every man's Explorer > View > Extra Large Icons:
or Directory Opus > View > Thumbnails > Extra Large:
meaning it is not a preview as such, but a mini picture:

2012-02-12_135622.gif