topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Humble Indie Bundle - Mojam!  (Read 6926 times)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Humble Indie Bundle - Mojam!
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:24 AM »
Mojang (creators of Minecraft) are holding a game jam this weekend.

What ever they produce is up for grabs via The Humble Indie Bundle site for a donation of your choice, with all money going to charity!

Plus - two other studios have joined in... Wolffire (Overgrowth / Laguru) and Oxeye (Cobalt) - so that is 3 brand new games in 48 hours!

Plus - you can watch the whole process live (whether you donate or not) as it is all being streamed live :)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Humble Indie Bundle - Mojam!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Well the Mojam came and went with $458,247.95 raised for charity - a good thing.

I watched some of the live streaming and was entertained by the process of putting the 3 games together. That said, the live footage would have benefited from greater focus and more of a running commentary from those involved.

Mojang's game "Catacomb Snatch" saw several builds released over the weekend, with each one adding significant new features, and the end product being fully playable if a little simplistic. The source code has now been released and a small community has emerged fixing bugs and adding new content.

Uber Catacomb Snatch.png

See Uber Catacomb Snatch for a compiled fork of the code, and Catacomb Snatch on GitHub for a repository of community developed source code.

Wolffire have also released their game "The Broadside Express" along with the sourcecode. This one seems far less finished to me, but again there looks to be a small community who intend to develop the product.

Oxeye have yet to release their game.

Overall I do not regret contributing to the Mojam, but I do feel a little disappointed - it is of course better that the games are open sourced so that they see further development, but now that they are out in the wild, what did I actually get for my donation? Not the product, not the live streams (they were accessible to all) - I guess just a benevolent feeling.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Overall I do not regret contributing to the Mojam, but I do feel a little disappointed - it is of course better that the games are open sourced so that they see further development, but now that they are out in the wild, what did I actually get for my donation? Not the product, not the live streams (they were accessible to all) - I guess just a benevolent feeling.

It's sort of like Kickstarter... or a ransomw, where your donation helps to get something into the wild?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34 PM »
There are three games on the download page now (one still to be released):

21-02-2012 18-31-59.png

I did contribute but I haven't got round to trying the games yet.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Oxeye have now released their game... gave it a brief play. As with the other two games it will really depend on whether a community develops to build on the foundation as laid down in the Mojam.

Catacomb Snatch seems to be on a roll at the moment with bug fixes and new features flying out - there have been 5 new versions released on GitHub in the 1st 24 hours!

I worry however that with no designer or design team to steer the project it may all fall apart just as quickly as it emerged!