topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WEATHER or Not ?  (Read 4266 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WEATHER or Not ?
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:02 AM »
My new search engine is DC!   ;D  I'm looking for a simple weather program that can display my local temp in the System Tray.  And maybe an Alert popup or balloon that'll warn me if some nasty stuff is headed my way.   :)

No need for active-maps or graphics.  I'll be tuned-in to NOAA if there's a hurricane brewing...  :(   Just the temp and early warning would be nice.   :D

The one that I was interested in at DC, Weather Watcher, is no longer freeware.   :(

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WEATHER or Not ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:27 AM »
I've been very happy using sWeather by long time DC member Skwire.

Doesn't have an alarm setting, but that can be a feature request away, if you ask nicely :D (though detecting 'nasty weather' could be an issue)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12 AM »
I've been very happy using sWeather by long time DC member Skwire.

Doesn't have an alarm setting, but that can be a feature request away, if you ask nicely :D (though detecting 'nasty weather' could be an issue)

Thanks, Ath, I think sWeather would be great!  I don't really need the bad weather alert... I just added it in case it was available.   :)

One more question.  I'm an absolute 'Novice-User' when it comes to computers.   :-[    I'm used to 'Install Wizards' and can't handle much less.   :(    Does sWeather use one?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:04 AM »
I'm used to 'Install Wizards' and can't handle much less.   :(    Does sWeather use one?
Not for as far as I can see.

Normal steps for this 'portable install' would be:
- Download the zip-file
- Unpack all files to a directory of choice
- Create a shortcut to a handy place, like the desktop (right-click-drag from Windows Explorer to desktop, release, choose Create shortcut here, optionally rename the shortcut)

You could PM Skwire, and ask if he can provide an installer, if needed I can assist with some Inno Setup knowledge.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:37 AM »
I'm used to 'Install Wizards' and can't handle much less.   :(    Does sWeather use one?
Not for as far as I can see.

Normal steps for this 'portable install' would be:
- Download the zip-file
- Unpack all files to a directory of choice
- Create a shortcut to a handy place, like the desktop (right-click-drag from Windows Explorer to desktop, release, choose Create shortcut here, optionally rename the shortcut)

You could PM Skwire, and ask if he can provide an installer, if needed I can assist with some Inno Setup knowledge.

I guess I'm not as dumb as I thought I was.   ;D   Thank you, Ath, I followed your instructions and it's working just fine.   :)  I have a new toy!

Not sure what you mean by 'Inno Setup'   :huh:  but I welcome any knowledge you wish to share.   :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:28 PM »
@Ath: Thanks for helping out.  =]

@crabby3: Thanks for trying out sWeather.  I hope you find it useful.  =]  BTW, InnoSetup is an application that makes installers for software.  In other words, it makes the "Install Wizards" you referenced in a previous post.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 06:16 AM »
@Ath: Thanks for helping out.  =]

@crabby3: Thanks for trying out sWeather.  I hope you find it useful.  =]  BTW, InnoSetup is an application that makes installers for software.  In other words, it makes the "Install Wizards" you referenced in a previous post.

sWeather is GREAT, skwire, just what I was hoping to find!   :Thmbsup:   I especially enjoy your Change the Weather!? option.   ;D