ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knowledge Is A Universal Natural Resource - Locking It Up Hurts Everyone

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
It seems some have learned lessons from history that would have been better left alone.
-Renegade (January 30, 2012, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've often felt that way. While it's been said that those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it (by popular pontiffs). It seems more the case that half fixate on the wrong parts with "righteous" indignation ... And the other half look at the ruthless dictators in history thinking Okay, good plan...but here's what they did wrong.

The mistakes just keep get improved on...not learned from.

mahesh2k:
20% of your body -- of YOU -- is OWNED thanks to patents on humans.
--- End quote ---

This reminds me of new movie - "In Time". It's crappy movie but pretty much touch on all these points of - capitalism, resource hogging and crime.

Renegade:
It seems some have learned lessons from history that would have been better left alone.
-Renegade (January 30, 2012, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've often felt that way. While it's been said that those that don't study history are doomed to repeat it (by popular pontiffs). It seems more the case that half fixate on the wrong parts with "righteous" indignation ... And the other half look at the ruthless dictators in history thinking Okay, good plan...but here's what they did wrong.

The mistakes just keep get improved on...not learned from.
-Stoic Joker (January 30, 2012, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for phrasing that much better! :)

I tend to muddle things sometimes. It's great when someone like you can clarify my blatherings much better. :D

Renegade:
20% of your body -- of YOU -- is OWNED thanks to patents on humans.
--- End quote ---

This reminds me of new movie - "In Time". It's crappy movie but pretty much touch on all these points of - capitalism, resource hogging and crime.
-mahesh2k (January 30, 2012, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oooo! That looks pretty good. Just checked out the trailer.

I like these kinds of metaphorical movies about dystopian futures. Sometimes they turn out to be predictions, which sucks, but still... I do like a good horror flick! :D

Deozaan:
There's a book by Michael Crichton called Next that deals with sequences of the human genome being patented. It's not my favorite Crichton novel, but it was pretty good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version