topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Introducing BaDa - the new way to build web based database applications  (Read 15706 times)

kindrosker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi

My name is Sergey and I'm developer of project BaDa - Build A Database Application.

http://buildadatabaseapp.com/

With BaDa you can build useful web based applications that turn data into information. But unlike other web based tools such as ZoHo, BaDa places no restriction on what you can do since it is open source.

In version 1.0 you can define materials and relate them to each other, define listing and forms and create custom dashboards all the while controlling access via sophisticated user controls.

And version 1.0 is only the start.  With your interest and support, we plan to build an application that will make the effort to build an online database app child's play.

So please download a copy of BaDa today and tell me what you think!:)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You know Bada is also a Telephone OS owned by Samsung? And that is already making inroads around the world, so I'd pick another short-name if I where you ;)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You know Bada is also a Telephone OS owned by Samsung? And that is already making inroads around the world, so I'd pick another short-name if I where you ;)
Or simply append 'ss'  :o

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very interesting, this competes with multi user MS Access, SQL Reporting Server and Qlikview am I right? I was thrown off initially by 'building a database application' as I understood it was to be used to make web apps. However it's more alike a data reporting tool from reading the website. A useful tool for business! And with forms you can use it for all kinds of replacement for paper forms (hot thing at the moment in education) - so now you are competing with Sharepoint/Infopath?

All the examples I mentioned are very microsoft centric so it will be good to see a viable alternative for some use cases when not using a microsoft stack. Very impressive!

kindrosker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
as I understood it was to be used to make web apps. However it's more alike a data reporting tool from reading the website.
Yes, with BaDa you can build web based application and share information to other people.

Reports in BaDa is very important part where you can create report for any entities and filter data by any fields that you created.

Also BaDa has extended user right where you can configure access to each entity and for each filed that you crated in you app...

So yes it will be really good for business or for education I think:)

kindrosker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, you are right, renamed short name to "Bilt"

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm a little confused by what I'd be allowed to do under the terms of your license. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems to say you're only licensed to load BaDa onto a single PC - yet it seems to be a multiuser database app.

Also the part where it talks about commercial use seems to say you can sell a solution you developed using BaDa in one place, and then in another paragraph it seems to say you can't.

Any chance of clarifying exactly what a developer is allowed to do with BaDa at this point?

Thx. :)

P.S. I did download it earlier and I'm planning on giving it a try this weekend. Looks to be a very nice app. Wish you success with it. As Justice mentioned earlier, it does provide a nice alternative to the usual Microsoft stack.

----------
And on a purely personal note:

Ukraine-120-animated-flag-gifs.gif  Go Ukraine! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:14 PM by 40hz »

kindrosker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any chance of clarifying exactly what a developer is allowed to do with BaDa at this point?

From license:
You can download the core code.
You can also download and install skins, translations, plugins and applications.
You can adapt the core code, skins, translations, plugins and applications.

But it is for single use.

when we say "it is for single use" it means you can't redistribute it and share your modification with other name on your site.

Of course you can install many copies on your server and do any code modification that you need because all code is open source.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for clarifying that.  :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
when we say "it is for single use" it means you can't redistribute it and share your modification with other name on your site.
I'd also change the text on the site and in the license. We're most likely not the only ones being confused by that. ;)

kindrosker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Introducing BaDa - the new way to build web based database applications
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:13 PM »
I'd also change the text on the site and in the license. We're most likely not the only ones being confused by that. ;)
Yes, we updated license text http://buildadatabas...om/bilt_download.php
The license is trying to protect:
1.       Illegal distribution
2.       Multiple use of single use paid addons

We are not restricting download.

quasimotoca

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What an incredibly useful idea and application.  Can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve for 2.0! Well don.
Dave

kindrosker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What an incredibly useful idea and application.  Can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve for 2.0! Well don.
Dave

yes, we are working on next version and there will be more configuration:)