Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 23, 2014, 08:47:19 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SOPA Shelved - ACTA is Worse  (Read 5508 times)
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »

Three posts from techdirt and a fourth from another source. Together they could provide a snapshot perspective and background to the rolling assault on freedoms posed by SOPA-->ACTA-->TPPA.
(TPPA is the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement and is arguably potentially worse than ACTA - which latter might be a done deal unless the belated Submit ACTA To The Senate For Ratification petition has some effect.)

I have copied the posts in the spoilers, below, and emboldened a few lines for emphasis, but some of the posts contain embedded links that I have not copied (too much trouble to do in in this forum, sorry), so, if you want to see/follow the links, then you will need to go to the actual post containing them.

Some people might say that the applicable turn of phase to apply in this sort of case could be:
"We've all been hoodwinked".

2011-09-27: US, EU, Canada, Japan, Australia & Others To Sign ACTA This Weekend, Despite Legal Concerns

2102-01-24: What Is ACTA And Why Is It A Problem?

2012-01-25: New Petition Asks White House To Submit ACTA To The Senate For Ratification

2009-06-02: Capitalism Evolving: Be a Cockroach, Not a Dinosaur

Lots of BIG 'roaches here for Renegade, it seems...       Angry

"Psychopathic Capitalist cockroaches - don't you just love 'em?"™     Kiss
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:12:43 PM by IainB » Logged
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »

Maybe aggressive defence might be a good strategy to protect further erosion of freedoms: It’s Time To Go On The Offensive For Freedom Of Speech
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 01:59:37 AM »

Maybe aggressive defence might be a good strategy to protect further erosion of freedoms: It’s Time To Go On The Offensive For Freedom Of Speech

That anyone would ever need to write something so utterly nuts is proof of how completely insane the system has become.

I don't mean to disparage the article there -- hell... I agree with it. But the fact that it has become necessary is just lunacy.

The pure, simple, trivial fact remains... NONE of this would be necessary if governments abided by the the rule of law or followed the law themselves. e.g. In the United States, the US Constitution (perhaps one of the most beautiful documents ever written) is clear in that it would not allow any of this insanity.

This is what the emergence of the police state looks like. This is what the birth of tyranny looks like. This is what the beginnings of enslavement look like. This is what the authors of the US Constitution wished to prevent.

Right now the offensive can still be peaceful... That window of opportunity is quickly disappearing, and we all know what that means... Violent revolution in the name of freedom or submission to tyrants. I refer back to those quotes by JFK and Thomas Jefferson. I believe they were correct.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 08:00:16 AM »

That anyone would ever need to write something so utterly nuts is proof of how completely insane the system has become.
Is that borne out historically? Is it such a surprise?
I'm a bit vague on the history, but I gather that, before you had the US Constitution, human conditions and the conflict between religio-political ideologies which resulted from the then status quo were bad enough that they fuelled a civil war.
After the Constitution, that became a new status quo. The problem is that it now doesn't suit some people/organisations who/that were content to grow in the status quo. But things change and for whatever reason you now have people and organisations with conflicting sets of religio-political ideologies and objectives, which means that they must attack the Constitution at its roots if they want to change things to suit their peculiar objectives.

Aggressive defence per the article above might be the only way to retain that rather precious Constitution. Aggressive defence is a recommended strategy in war and chess as well.

Passive defence could probably be perceived as weakness, and exploited as such, and that is arguably why the Constitution has possibly already been successfully eroded to some extent, in certain areas. There are even government-funded NGO or administrative functions (e.g., including such as the the EPA, TSA, Homeland Security) effectively taking on the responsibility for propaganda and extra-military and extra-police/judicial (lawmaking) roles in society, regarding security and the environment.

That's arguably your emergent "police state", right there.
kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »

I don't mean to disparage the article there -- hell... I agree with it. But the fact that it has become necessary is just lunacy.

The pure, simple, trivial fact remains... NONE of this would be necessary if governments abided by the the rule of law or followed the law themselves. e.g. In the United States, the US Constitution (perhaps one of the most beautiful documents ever written) is clear in that it would not allow any of this insanity.

This is what the emergence of the police state looks like. This is what the birth of tyranny looks like. This is what the beginnings of enslavement look like. This is what the authors of the US Constitution wished to prevent.

+1000.

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 01:23:58 AM »

uncrunched.com post: BIG GOVERNMENT SUCKS TECH INDUSTRY INTO THEIR REALITY
What was it I said above?
"We've all been hoodwinked".
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:35:29 AM by IainB » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.069s | Server load: 0.04 ]