ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to force "Register DLL"?

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
Lately I have been getting "Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" a few times too many from different programs I was installing. But not being able to repair my ageing 32-bits Vista Home Premium, I was hoping for a get-around solution. Can I somehow force Vista to register such a DLL at next Start, or something?
 :tellme:

Ath:
It's quite pre-Windows 7 this DLL, and it probably needs to be RegSvr32'd from an elevated command-prompt, or with UAC turned off (but that requires a reboot if it's currently on).
It's not an OS-used DLL, so it won't need to be done while (re)starting. It might help if AV is turned off during the RegSvr32 action, but usually that's not required.
Worst case it's missing some required file(s).

It's actually a fail in the installer, that should take care of things like that, but if if the installer is really old it couldn't know, ofcourse.

Curt:
-sorry. I should of course have told that I have tried many solutions, including turning off security related programs. UAC has not been enabled since day one; I am the only user.

But if the failure was done by the installer, I will contact the various companies.
Thank you!

Ath:
Looked it up to be sure, 0x5 is simply Access Denied.

The installer should be run as administrator, sometimes _even_ if UAC is turned off. Could also be a 32 vs 64 bit issue.

4wd:
Could also be a 32 vs 64 bit issue.-Ath (January 26, 2012, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't be, Curt's trying to install on a 32bit system - 64bit programs normally won't install, (well, they didn't want to when I was running 32bit :) ).

Perhaps try changing the Owner of the install file before running it elevated?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version