topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 5:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Add Word-Count Capability to Context Menu or Tool Tip  (Read 4181 times)

justW3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • What you think I said is probably not what I meant
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Basically, is there any way of easily displaying how many characters are in a file path?  (I am using Windows XP.)

I keep running up against a frustrating problem when making backups. It seems the length of the path to any file should not be longer than 255 characters (I think). I find Windows will allow a file to be saved to a path even if doing so will cause the number of characters in that path to exceed the limit. (Saving webpages with their original - sometimes very long - file names can throw up this problem a lot.) But the problem only tends to pop up when I try to do anything with that file - eg make a backup - as the backup software then reports it cannot access the file because the path is too long.  :mad:

So, what I am looking for is some way of easily displaying how many characters are in a file path. I thought maybe highlighting the path in the address bar, say, and then right clicking to see a character-count in the context menu, or in a tool tip. Whatever works. I can then make the necessary adjustments to the path length as needed.
Thanx.  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Add Word-Count Capability to Context Menu or Tool Tip
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41 AM »
maybe this tool, Paste Text Like, can be of help. it shows a line with the number of characters in the clipboard.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 09:48 AM »
Not a direct answer, but are you aware that some of the file renamers have features to deal with this?  For example, 1-4a rename (freeware) has features to limit the filename, plus special features for cleaning up music filenames and shortening filenames for CD-R (only 64 characters).  See screenshot.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:05 PM by rjbull, Reason: Typo correction »

justW3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • What you think I said is probably not what I meant
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Thanks both for those pointers.   :Thmbsup:
I think I'll check out 'Paste Text Like' as it seems to most closely match what I had in mind.
'1-4a rename' seems a bit too involved for this particular task, imho, but thanks for flagging it, as I can definately put it to use getting my way too numerous pics in some sort of order!  ;D