topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AVG claims a virus is found in dexpot.exe  (Read 5492 times)

pyramid36

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AVG claims a virus is found in dexpot.exe
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place to report this, but I installed Dexpot.exe last week and AVG reported a virus backdoor.hupigon5.cbqn and I quarantined it. I subsequently found a post on the AVG forum regarding a similar issue with iTunes.  It's apparently an issue with AVG thinking something is this virus.  I haven't found a workaround, but am going to un-quarantine dexpot and see what happens.

Ken

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AVG claims a virus is found in dexpot.exe
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:37 AM »
AVG has been reported of flagging several Inno Setup installs (the uninstaller specifically) as having a virus. As it's only AVG reporting this issue, and now also on dexpot, I'm inclined to suggest it's a false positive. Best would be to report in their support section.

For a second opinion you can alway use a web service scanner like Jotti or VirusTotal

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 03:38 AM »
Please report to http://falsepositivereport.org *if* you have any interest in simply documenting this occurrence. One of the biggest issues is making people aware of how huge this problem is. Us software developers know, the security vendors know, but end users don't.

TheCenturion

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18 PM »
 >:( I JUST HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH DEXPOT!!!   >:( My avg and Norton both showed the backdoor.hupigon5.cbqn virus.  What happened was that my computer suddenly quit being able to connect to the internet.  The connection icon in the tray said that my network cable was unplugged.  I tried everything to get it to work again.  There is nothing useful i could find on google or yahoo about this occurance other than stupid stuff like check you cables.  I then logged into the linux half of my dual boot and it logged on fine.  Obviously it was not equipment.  I had installed one game and dexpot in the last 2 days. It took me a while to remember dexpot.  This is when i ran the virus scan it showed this virus.  As far as i could tell the damage had already been done.  I couldn't get the internet to work i tried everything. finally i had to reinstall windows and it fixed it.  I think the problem occured in the registry but im not sure.  So yes that is a virus and no it is not a false positive. These people^ have not had this problem obviously.  I don't ever sign up for forums and made a special exception just for you pyramid36 because the internet was having no part in helping me to fix my problem.  And just so you know i really liked that program so when i loaded windows this was one of the first progs i installed.  My avg caught the virus instantly this time so i was able to rid my self of it before it was too late this time.  It took like two days or so to kick in last time. At least to the point of no internet connection.  I really hope that this helps

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Norton? Oh well.

Buy a good scanner.

Also, I doubt it was Dexpot.