ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is our perception of worth/value affected by venue?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Deozaan:
Well maybe this is just hindsight bias speaking, but it seems to me like a foregone conclusion in today's society that busy people usually won't stop to smell the roses, so to speak.

In my opinion, the initial premise wasn't that interesting to begin with because the result could easily be predicted. It would be like asking "What would happen if, hypothetically speaking, we put an iPad under water." The result is predictable. But then again, Leonard Slatkin didn't predict what the actual result was. In hindsight it is easy for me to think things like "Well he's the music director of the National Symphony Orchestra, so of course he'd overestimate the importance of music and the effect it would have in every day people." But as I said from the beginning that may just be hindsight bias working its magic.

Though to be honest, I think the writer of the article knew the result wasn't very surprising and thus not very interesting to begin with so he used Leonard Slatkin's prediction to anchor our expectations so that we were surprised by the result in the end. You can see him set it up right here:

So, what do you think happened?

HANG ON, WE'LL GET YOU SOME EXPERT HELP.

Leonard Slatkin, music director of the National Symphony Orchestra, was asked the same question. What did he think would occur, hypothetically, if one of the world's great violinists had performed incognito before a traveling rush-hour audience of 1,000-odd people?-http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html
--- End quote ---

Before you're given a chance to reflect and honestly predict what happened, you are interrupted and given someone else's prediction, which subconsciously anchors your expectations, causing you to be unable to make an unbiased prediction.

wraith808:
Before you're given a chance to reflect and honestly predict what happened, you are interrupted and given someone else's prediction, which subconsciously anchors your expectations, causing you to be unable to make an unbiased prediction.
-Deozaan (January 26, 2012, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't read that article first though.  Actually, I only saw a picture shared and a story of what happened, which made me think that it was fake, because I couldn't imagine.

40hz:
Anchoring, on the other hand, can do much more than just allow us to indulge in bad thinking.

NLP makes extensive use of anchoring for self improvement and performance enhancement. What you basically do is become consciously aware of the effect of anchoring on your thinking, get yourself into the mental state you want, and then set a physical trigger to invoke the anchor you've just created. Then, whenever you need to get into that state, invoke the trigger, and you're there.

It's very similar to those rituals you see athletes going through before a match to psyche themselves up. Just a lot more streamlined.

It takes practice to make it work effectively and predictably.

But what doesn't?

Here's a link if you want a very quick intro and step-by-step. NLP has a lot more to say about anchoring, which is used in conjunction with other thinkertoys they've come up with. So if you're really interested, check out Wikipedia for Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

If you don't want to get into the heavy duty clinical stuff, motivational guru Anthony Robbins has put together his own riff on NLP which he calls "neuro-associative conditioning." In addition to his term being a better descriptor for what NLP is actually about, some people have also had better success with Tony's variant. Either approach (NLP or NAC) works. Or does as long as you don't let yourself be too put off by Robbin's rah-rah style and delivery and quit.

I can tell you that, based on my experiences with it, NLP works amazingly well. But don't take my word for it. If it sounds cool to you - go check it out.

My GF (who holds a Masters in cognitive psyche) calls it "Gestalt for Geeks."

If true, that alone should make it accessible for most of the people here, right? ;D

wraith808:
Anchoring, on the other hand, can do much more than just allow us to indulge in bad thinking.

NLP makes extensive use of anchoring for self improvement and performance enhancement. What you basically do is become consciously aware of the effect of anchoring on your thinking, get yourself into the mental state you want, and then set a physical trigger to invoke the anchor you've just created. Then, whenever you need to get into that state, invoke the trigger, and you're there.
-40hz (January 26, 2012, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, yes... I understand that.  But my point is that the anchor wasn't set by the article, as I found that in research after the fact, rather than before.

40hz:
But my point is that the anchor wasn't set by the article, as I found that in research after the fact, rather than before.
-wraith808 (January 26, 2012, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah...sorry. Missed a bit of that. Next time I'll read a little more carefully before going off an a semi-tangent. :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version