ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is our perception of worth/value affected by venue?

<< < (3/5) > >>

bmikey:
Well, I think that people appreciate talent more when they see it in the proper setting and usually, our perception is a little off when we are situated in a place where we don't usually see that kind of stuff.  Which makes me wonder if people really see talent or, in some way, just goes with what others things just so they would not be left out, it could be the perfect argument right?

Deozaan:
It was a set-up.

It's hard to get someone to stop to give you the time of day when they're busy on their way somewhere hoping they're not late. The focus of the crowd was largely to get to their destination or suffer the consequences.

Beethoven could be conducting (live!) in the main lobby of a hospital and the people heading into the emergency room with a loved one who is having a heart attack or other urgent, fatal, medical condition, probably will be too caught up in their own situation to notice.

Whereas if Joshua Bell had been playing somewhere and some time in which people had time to spare and no other urgent matters (such as a weekend street marketplace) I am quite confident more people would have paid attention and perhaps even recognized him.

wraith808:
It was a set-up.
-Deozaan (January 26, 2012, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was the point.  And that's the provoking part to me.

40hz:

It was a set-up.

-Deozaan (January 26, 2012, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes, all it takes is four well-chosen words.

Is our perception of worth/value affected by venue?

Deozaan just nailed it. :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
But is it a set up when the set up is part of the experiment?

Leonard Slatkin, music director of the National Symphony Orchestra, was asked the same question. What did he think would occur, hypothetically, if one of the world's great violinists had performed incognito before a traveling rush-hour audience of 1,000-odd people?

"Let's assume," Slatkin said, "that he is not recognized and just taken for granted as a street musician . . . Still, I don't think that if he's really good, he's going to go unnoticed. He'd get a larger audience in Europe . . . but, okay, out of 1,000 people, my guess is there might be 35 or 40 who will recognize the quality for what it is. Maybe 75 to 100 will stop and spend some time listening."

So, a crowd would gather?

"Oh, yes."

And how much will he make?

"About $150."

Thanks, Maestro. As it happens, this is not hypothetical. It really happened.

--- End quote ---

The 'set-up' was part of the experiment, so that's not an analytical observation as much as it's a given?  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version