ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is our perception of worth/value affected by venue?

(1/5) > >>

wraith808:
I just saw a picture and article posted by a friend about Joshua Bell, world reknowned violinist playing on the subway incognito, and for playing a set that he'd played for $100 a ticket in a concert hall, of some of the most intricately arranged classical pieces (though not popular tunes), on an instrument worth 3.5 million dollars, he received over the course of an hour $59, and was recognized only once.  I thought this had to be a hoax, but did some research and found it to be true.

A Concert Violinist on the Metro?

Pearls Before Breakfast

I'm normally pretty observant, especially in regards to music and the arts.  But I started to wonder... would I have really noticed?  Is our perception of the relative beauty of art/music- and the worth of that skill and talent- affected so much by venue?

Something to think about...

40hz:
In Josh Bell's case, I don't think it's so much the venue as the the structure of the "audience." And the difference between "audiences" and "attendees." And their differing degrees of "engagement."

People who are paying $100 are "in the market" to listen to Mr. Bell. They know who he is, what to expect, and have made a decision to pay the asking price in order to hear him. And because of the expense involved (ticket price + dinner + travel time and expense + etc.) they arrive very "motivated" to hear him and get their money's worth. And that opportunity to be "fully engaged" with the performer and the music is also a big part of what they're paying for.

For example...

... ok...bad example. Let's move on, shall we?.

The people on the subway are NOT in the market. They're paying to get where they're going - and preferably as quickly and painlessly as possible. Josh Bell is an "unsought for" product in that context. Some people enjoyed his music enough that they kicked some money into his hat. But since many people in attendance weren't interested in what he was doing (since musical styles appeal to different audiences) and possibly lacked the time and patience to check it out, he was just as likely to be taken as an annoying busker as he was an internationally recognized performer. Likely because he wasn't recognized. But possibly even if he were.

If venue (which I'm taking to mean location) had any bearing, I think it has more to do with physical appropriateness rather than a social highbrow/lowbrow perception of the place. Violins are acoustic instruments. Subways are crowded and noisy - and (if located under NYC) also smell...um...rather piquant. None of these are conducive to the environment needed (i.e. quiet, distraction free, peaceful) to really appreciate the subtitles and nuances of a violin, or a player like Mr. Bell.

The subway was a bad choice. It has too many physical negatives going against a violin performance to really be valid in this context. I have a similar opinion about outdoor and sports arena rock concerts. The sound quality is usually bad enough that I'm not interested in attending even if I like the groups that are playing and have tickets.

It's an interesting question. But I don't think this experiment had sufficient controls or identification of variables to be anything other than "interesting." And possibly point the way towards a more scientifically valid experiment.

wraith808:
I just wonder how much I miss by not paying attention, especially noticing the exit interview.  And I was very touched by the person that went to be out of his 'space' but still listen.  Then after he had to move on, humbly gave the $5 tip.  It was more those interviews that affected me more than the actual events in the subway.

It's sort of like walking through a forest to get somewhere, and never noticing the trees.  It just saddened me for some reason.

mahesh2k:
Compare "apple products" sold in applestore and "windows products" sold in any random computer shop.

wraith808:
Compare "apple products" sold in applestore and "windows products" sold in any random computer shop.
-mahesh2k (January 25, 2012, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that's a fair comparison.  This is true art that one person in a million has the skill to develop and true artistry like none other.  To compare that to popcorn technology is not quite an apt comparison in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version