Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 01, 2014, 01:14:47 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: coming soon, self-teaching programming assignments  (Read 14693 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:41:15 PM »

i'm a big fan of self-teaching through assignments.

we will soon be putting up some series of teach-yoursself-to-program assignments.  when you complete one assignment you will reveal the next.

we just have to implement some infrastructure on the forum so that non-programmers don't have to see the programming school posts.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 02:45:55 PM »

Nice... Programming School is coming soon! I eagerly wait for it! cheesy

Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »

Sounds fun! Will it be targeted to a specific language?  I ask as I've just started toying with Ruby, and have to say that I am rather impressed.

Ampa
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »

we are going to have a section for each of many different languages, assuming their are people willing to "grade" them.
chr15
Site Programmer
Developer

Everything in life is a gamble

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »

As per usual I am up for the challedge, when I get a little time smiley
svv1999
Participant

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 06:05:26 PM »

we are going to have a section for each of many different languages, assuming their are people willing to "grade" them.

I want to grade in DigitalmarsD.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 06:47:48 PM »

D has some nice stuff; i know there are probably quite a few of us c++ coders who would be interested in seeing how some of the c++ assignments would be coded in D.  Maybe we can have a special section as a kind of catch-all for languages that are more esoteric.
moerl
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »

I can't wait. This is such an excellent idea smiley
skywalka

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »

I've never programed anything (except my VCR) but I've always wanted a reason to start.

Thanx.
Mizraim
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 02:04:41 PM »

Are there any books? Maybe a Library of freeware programming books to help the uneducated coder like myself? If there is any legal way to share some Programming Basic's in the various languages, I think that might be something worth adding.

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 02:44:46 PM »

Are there any books? Maybe a Library of freeware programming books to help the uneducated coder like myself? If there is any legal way to share some Programming Basic's in the various languages, I think that might be something worth adding.

We've mentioned some free books on some other threads. Specifically Places to learn how to program and Free Computer Books, Tutorials & Lecture Notes.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 02:48:02 PM »

since i never posted a final reply to this thread i should mention here that the programming school has been up and running for quite some time - so visit and try some assignments (http://www.donationcoder....orum/index.php?board=77.0)
Mizraim
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

Right. I was just thinking it might be nice on the learners to have a "Library Board" or something so they don't have to dig.  Wink

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 07:31:10 PM »

I run site that is a list of freely available programming ebooks. I am always adding more as I find them and removing any dead links.

http://www.programmingebooks.tk

Just call me the unofficial dc librarian.  cheesy

vaib
Participant

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

Hi Mouser,

Although I am a new joiner in DC but I have a very good suggestion to make regarding programming assignments smiley ... Small programming assignments whose difficulty levels are gradually increased OR programming assignments that test the knowledge of various aspects of the language are good for students and probably for those who want to learn programming in general BUT there's also another category of people like me who don't really want to learn programming because they've done a lot of it ( i know no one can do 'enough' programming but I am getting at something else here  Wink ) . ummm....this explanation is getting no where...so lemme just tell you in a straightforward manner what I need....

I dont want to learn programming in general since I do a lot of it in my office and I've done a lot of it in the past...ofcourse, programming for fun is my second nature ..!!
Since I know C, C++, Java and (recently) .Net.. learning a new programming language is not a big deal for me. BUT i have the craving to learn a lot ( my master list includes Lisp, python, perl, linux shell scripting, j2me, scheme and a lot more  embarassed ). Now if i go by picking up books on these subjects ( which I dont mind ) and reading them whilst making small programs that test my knowledge of the language then I guess it would ' a lot ' of time. Time is a fight for me since I am a very busy person. Someone once told me that the best way to learn a language is to make a project in it and in that project make extensive use of the most powerful features of the language ( like pointers if you talk of C ).
So I guess DC should start a thread recognizing the most powerful features of a language and then suggest a project assignment for that particular language( the project should make use of the language power features ). This would be the best way for people like me to learn new languages and also be an expert in the language power features. People who have had the time to learn *gradually* could polish their skills by taking up these project assignments.

What say ?

Regards,
Vaibhav

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.02 ]