ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

All-In-One Multi-Touch Computers - Thoughts?

<< < (6/12) > >>

JavaJones:
Well that's just lame, both on Win7's part and, IMO, on the monitor manufacturer's part as it sounds like they're doing some non-standard weirdness. Oh well.

- Oshyan

TaoPhoenix:
For those of you who have used an AIO, how do you find looking at the screen so close you can reach it with you hands? I hate using my laptop and screen together - I much prefer to use either an external monitor with the laptop keyboard or wireless kb with laptop screen pushed away (or both). Then again my tired old eyes like a bit of distance relief for extended viewing. I can't image using an AIO for anything other than a media centre or similar where I only make a few inputs then walk away.
-DougalS (January 25, 2012, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's a different perspective. Work went with the all-in-one style for this fleet upgrade. My solution - I just don't bother to touch it! Now it's basically back to being a fancy desktop, except it really IS a desktop now, not a "floortop"!

I'm a software guy, I hate hardware, so I'd be taking it to a shop anyway if something fizzed out.

Carol Haynes:
I have seen a number of customers with AIO and touch screen computers - not had to take one apart yet (apart from a jammed DVD in a slot drive).

The touch screen looks fun for the first five minutes but I haven't seen anyone bother using it after the first five minutes.

There's a slight frisson - ooo cool, and then - where's the mouse.

This is my biggest worry with Windows 8 - manufacturers will start moving wholesale to touchscreen AIOs to 'take advantage' the new lame features and it will become a nightmare and expensive to repair or upgrade them without a ridiculously expensive return to base.

superboyac:
It really depends on the person (I'm not a fan).  I imagine most people here know enough about computers to understand that the "ease" that these AIOs offer are probably not worth it to you.  From what I've seen with my friends, they like these computers mainly because they don't have to "worry about all the cables and stuff".  They also like the idea of grabbing the unit and taking it somewhere...it's kinda portable, I suppose.

But in reality, no one (except maybe one of my friends) moves the computer, like, ever.  So there goes that benefit.  Secondly, if you know what hardware components cost and you understand the specs, you'll probably end up with the thought, "I can get this and that cheaper with dell (or hp, or build my own)".

I'm a big time nerd with computers, so I like to have my options open and flexible.  I like the cables, and the separate boxes, and a tower so ridiculously big, I can crawl into it.  But that's me.

40hz:
But in reality, no one (except maybe one of my friends) moves the computer, like, ever.  So there goes that benefit.  Secondly, if you know what hardware components cost and you understand the specs, you'll probably end up with the thought, "I can get this and that cheaper with dell (or hp, or build my own)".

I'm a big time nerd with computers, so I like to have my options open and flexible.  I like the cables, and the separate boxes, and a tower so ridiculously big, I can crawl into it.  But that's me.
-superboyac (January 30, 2012, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 on both points. I don't think I've ever acquired a piece of technology or a tool that I haven't begun to disassemble and tinker with less than 15 seconds after I got it. Many times, I've only done it in my mind. But not always.

There's a certain inventor/DIY mindset a lot of us have that will never be totally satisfied with any canned solution - no matter how perfect it is.

And as far as neat, built-in, polished appliancey looking computers and environments go - you can keep them. I'm of the submarine/missile silo/matrix persuasion where everything's out in plain sight and easy to get to.

Look at this little crow's nest. It's the control center in a Virginia-class nuclear attack submarine. It's awesome.

I'll always prefer my computing environment to be a little funky looking. Part of that comes from building my own (either out of necessity or for the pure joy of it) as often as possible. To me, there are few things more intellectually gratifying than sitting it the presence (or middle  :mrgreen:) of some incredibly complex dogpile of technology - and realize you understand it all its complexity!

And it becomes an even bigger 'head rush' when you've built it yourself.  8)

So please pass your pretty tablets and slick Apple designs over to someone else. Ūber-neat packaging leads to brain-rot! Besides, builders like to leave the hood open so they can admire their creations.

And fix them. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version