ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

All-In-One Multi-Touch Computers - Thoughts?

<< < (11/12) > >>

40hz:
The other is the Roku box for your TV set.
-40hz (January 31, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Roku has been in my backup plans for a while.  But...superboyac is going to overengineer hisself a home theater system in 2012 that has been in the works for 3 years.   :Thmbsup:
-superboyac (January 31, 2012, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah!

In my case, I think I'd keep my current modest home theater system, add a Roku to the mix, and then plow any money saved into the biggest, highest quality screen I could comfortably view. And maybe buy a real theater popcorn maker if there was anything left over!

Because those are two things I likely wouldn't be able to build for myself.;D

A lesson in budgeting resources. (NSFW)I didn't make this one up, but the truth found within it is so profound I thought I'd share it: :Thmbsup:

-----------------------------------------------

Two bulls were standing on a grassy hill, looking down at a pasture, which was home to a large herd of cows.

"Well Old Timer." said the Young Bull, "I think I'm gonna charge down this hill, jump over that fence, and mate with one of them cows! How about you?"

"Sorta..." rumbled the Old Bull, looking at the herd and chewing reflectively on a mouthful of sweet clover.

"Sorta?" laughed the Young Bull. "What do you mean 'sorta'? Are you gettin' to be over the hill on us?"

"Nope," said the Old Bull. "I was just thinking more along the lines of taking me an easy stroll down this hill, walking through that open gate over yonder, and then mating with ALL of them."

;)

Stoic Joker:
I'm at the HP conference in Las Vegas, and HP just released the new Z1 AIO workstation. Super easy to work on tool-less design.

I'm impressed.

mouser:
Pretty Slick: Z1 AIO page.

Stoic Joker:
Yes, it quite handily forces me to retract my earlier vitriol.

(god this phone is hard to type on)

bcpaladin:
Back in the fall I put in a whole new network (only 3 stations) for a chiropractor to go with his new software that was mandated by the US Government (Medicare).  It was touch-screen compatible and he was excited by possibilities.  We opted for All-in-Ones, which came with wireless keyboard and mouse, given the price/size of standard touchscreens.  As soon as I saw them I knew I wanted no part of supporting them.  In construction they are basically laptops writ large.  I told him that he had to go through the manufacturer for support but I would assist if I could.  In the process of setting up the two All-in-ones I came to the conclusion that they're nice for limited use but ergonomically incompatible with any kind of intensive use.  Most people's shoulders won't take it, I know mine didn't.  If you can get it below and fairly close to you you're fine, but anything else is literally a pain.  Also touch is fine with programs that are designed with touch in mind i.e. Larger buttons and fields but the operating system (Win7) is not optimized for touch even if it is capable.  Icons are fine but to enter information in fields and interact with drop-down lists is difficult because they are so small on a 20 inch screen at max resolution.  I can't count how many times I hit the wrong line on something.

I would suggest that you stick with a standard desktop if that's where you're leaning.  Laptops are nice but I find the keyboards on most regardless of size to be uncomfortable to use. I have yet to find a current one that is even remotely close to feeling like a regular keyboard.  Oh, and I hate trackpads.  But both of these are easy to overcome by using usb peripherals.  However, now you're dealing with extra space for the keyboard and mouse not to mention that kind of hinders portability.  If your wife still has her iPad or whatever, you don't really need to worry about portability.  A desktop will be generally less expensive, however with the price of hard drives right now you're not going to get as much for your money.  

J-mac, I believe I know the fan you are looking for and I have at least one used one on hand.  If you want to leave a message, I would be more than happy to give it to you for the cost of shipping.

I'm with 40hz on Acer.  I recommend them to all my customers if that is what they want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version