ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Ends Privacy

<< < (9/16) > >>

zridling:
I haven't seen a Google ad on a page in many years. Doesn't anyone else use AdBlock?

TaoPhoenix:

Not even TaoPhoenix's 200th post and already I'm becoming a fan. :Thmbsup:

;D
-40hz (January 27, 2012, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your choice of replies:

<Elvis> "Thank you - Thank you very much" </Elvis>

Or -

<Evil Commander> So glad to have you aboard, Cadet. I have a 5,000 post history on the net. You are my latest accolyte. </Evil Commander>

TaoPhoenix:
It is so amusing how people are mad about Google's continued reluctancy to stop their data misuse but don't see a reason to just stop using Google services. Oh well... people are stupid.

(Written without Google.)
-Tuxman (January 27, 2012, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I see a reason to stop Google use - I already am sticking with Yahoo Mail, which is much less connected to anything, and Intend to mostly sign out before going to Youtube, (damn work), and I try to use Startpage search which is (I think) Google data run through a double proxy.

40hz:
This e-mail has started showing up in  GMail inboxes.

Dear Google user,

We're getting rid of over 60 different privacy policies across Google and replacing them with one that's a lot shorter and easier to read. Our new policy covers multiple products and features, reflecting our desire to create one beautifully simple and intuitive experience across Google.

We believe this stuff matters, so please take a few minutes to read our updated Privacy Policy and Terms of Service at http://www.google.com/policies. These changes will take effect on March 1, 2012.

--- End quote ---

Be sure to go to the link in the letter. It spells out Google's new policies. It's an interesting read. Less informative than it could be due to a liberal sprinkling of "may" and "may or may not" hedge-wording.

I had said before that, at the very least, Google's policies remove any anonymity you think you may have when working with their services and products.

The following, taken from their new policy, confirms that to be the case:

(Note: I took the liberty of highlighting the key areas thay merit a closer look in case you still have doubts.)

Log information – When you access Google services via a browser, application or other client our servers automatically record certain information. These server logs may include information such as your web request, your interaction with a service, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account.

User communications – When you send email or other communications to Google, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services. When you send and receive SMS messages to or from one of our services that provides SMS functionality, we may collect and maintain information associated with those messages, such as the phone number, the wireless carrier associated with the phone number, the content of the message, and the date and time of the transaction. We may use your email address to communicate with you about our services.
--- End quote ---

Most disturbing is the retention of private user generated message content, which has no value whatsoever for Google's marketing - but which is very valuable for fishing expeditions conducted by various parties. Can you say: criticize your employer or the government and later face repercussions - and then wonder how they knew? Especially since you only did so in an email sent to your best friend?

A simple information request made as a favor - or through a subpoena - would be sufficient. Big Brother doesn't exactly watch you. But he does record every single word you utter and log every thing you do for later recall  - and evaluation.

It's called data mining. And it works.

Right now, these things have been perceived as fairly benevolent. Largely because egregious invasions of personal privacy have remained relatively rare - and were downplayed when reported.

But that's only because those who could most benefit from stripping privacy from all walks of personal life haven't felt sufficiently pushed against the proverbial wall to move on it. And the unfortunate truth is there's no guarantee they'll continue to feel that way in the future.

When you consider the huge degree of public disenchantment with politicians and the political process(mostly  over rampant corruption and excessive corporate influence mongering) governments worldwide have cause to be concerned. Because one message is now emerging loud and clear: "Business as Usual" is becoming less and less acceptable. And the public is getting fed up with it. The Arab Spring and Occupy movements are just the tip of the iceberg. There's a seismic shift starting. And when it finally goes into full swing - there will be some serious pushback by those who seek to maintain the status quo.

My biggest concern, with the heightened and heated level of rhetoric we're hearing in political circles, is the very real chance of us seeing our government switch into "wounded rhino mode." That's where the large and lumbering animal feels threatened, or becomes wounded, and lashes out with deadly and indiscriminate fury at anything and everything around it.

It's a very real concern...

Especially in an era where government sanctioned "shock & awe" is becoming the preferred response to everything: from a full-bore terrorist attack, all the way down to a local arrest for a minor felony.

No matter what town or city you're from in the USA, you'll see ninja-suited heavily armed police units responding any time an arrest is expected to be made. And that includes arrests for some of the most minor offenses imaginable.

Guess they need to do something to justify all the spending on "homeland security" training and equipment that's been used to militarize US local police forces in the last ten years.

The problem with tech like that is, once it's out there, it begs to be used. And often creates justification when justification can't be found.

So it goes. :-\

mahesh2k:
I don't get one thing though - Why apple and google fanbois think that privacy breach  and patent trolling from Facebook, MS and other corps is evil but from their messiah companies isn't ? Is there something that I am seriously not paying attention to? What makes google no-evil corp? Or people are just choosing it as necessary-evil?

Google has enough personal information and influence on people which could be easily accessible by governments/political parties/mega corps, google ain't saint to avoid their money or involvement. In fact indian government is in process to use RIM and Google for monitoring outgoing data in sensitive regions. Besides that google also pays to people like chris pirilio, scoble and few others to promote their services. Considering google's trolling in kenya for stealing small business information, It's pretty much possible that they can easily penetrate into third world countries without any political restriction and do *any* evil and get away with it. So it's not paranoia against them. Anyone with internet access can easily verify this. I still don't understand If I'm missing something about google or these journalists/social media folks/fanbois are riding on google to benefit their career or needs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version