topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Best Way to Share Kindle Books on Nook, Kobo, iPad  (Read 7176 times)

Elias6582

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Best Way to Share Kindle Books on Nook, Kobo, iPad
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:37 AM »
currently, if you own a Nook, Kobo, iPad ,or even some other ebook readers, without actually having a Kindle yourself. How you can read the Kindle books freely? Are you stuck with the DRM? ;D
  Amazon has tons and tons of books available for Kindle, and have chosen the standard AZW format as the one their reader uses, meaning readers can not read Kindle books on other E-readers freely or convert them to something else directly because the Kindle DRM protection.
epub is a widely accepted format, so here demonstrates how to enjoy Kindle books on Nook,Kobo,iPad freely that you legally purchased in Amazon.You can search the article how to remove drm from azw on kindle in epubsoft website.You can find out the  :Pbest solution demonstrations for kindle books reading on other devices!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Best Way to Share Kindle Books on Nook, Kobo, iPad
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:09 AM »
If you have an iPad, you can use the kindle app.  If you have the Nook, you can root it (I think).  But it's like a lot of other things... platform choice is key.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:59 PM »
The Kindle app for Android works with most tablets, but for ebook readers based on Android, like the Nook, you need to root the device in order to install the Kindle app.

A much better approach is to remove the DRM from the ebook and convert it from the Amazon AZW (encrypted Mobi) to ePub.  There are various ways to do this, but the easiest and most reliable is through the deDRM plugins for Calibre.

The deDRM tools may be downloaded from Apprentice Alf's Blog.

Note that there are legal and ethical issues involved in stripping DRM from ebooks or any other digital media.  I personally feel that if I have paid for a book, I have the right to read it however I want to, as long as I do not distribute it to anyone else.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Just for the record:
  • The OP by @Elias6582 looks like it could have been spam, as the site it directs the reader to is epubsoft.com, which appears to be a scam site that wants you to pay for eBook DRM removal and conversion tools that apparently are available for $FREE elsewhere.

• The comments made by @xtabber would seem to pass the test for truth and to contain good advice:
    ...A much better approach is to remove the DRM from the ebook and convert it from the Amazon AZW (encrypted Mobi) to ePub.  There are various ways to do this, but the easiest and most reliable is through the deDRM plugins for Calibre.
    The deDRM tools may be downloaded from Apprentice Alf's Blog.
    Note that there are legal and ethical issues involved in stripping DRM from ebooks or any other digital media.  I personally feel that if I have paid for a book, I have the right to read it however I want to, as long as I do not distribute it to anyone else.

Although I already had Calibre, until I read @xtabber's comment I was unaware that its useful plugins for deDRM (removal of DRM locks) and standards format conversion for eBooks were related to the tools available from Apprentice Alf's Blog, and where it says:
DRM Removal Tools for eBooks
Posted on September 10, 2012 by Apprentice Alf   
If you want to find out more about ebooks, DRM and why you will probably want to remove the DRM from your ebooks, see this post: Ebook Formats, DRM and You — Ebook Formats, DRM and You — A Guide for the Perplexed
If you already know that you want to remove the DRM from your ebooks, you’ve found the right place. While there are many sites that redistribute these tools, and some of the tools have their origins at other sites (mainly The Dark Reverser’s blog and I♥Cabbages blog), the most up-to-date versions of the tools are currently released here. Apprentice Alf (me) and some_updates have maintained the Kindle tools since this blog was created, and DiapDealer created and maintains the plugin versions of the tools, most of which first appeared in the set of tools distributed here.

In Ebook Formats, DRM and You — A Guide for the Perplexed, it makes the points: (my emphasis)
DRM: What it is and why you should care about it.
  • DRM is used by publishers to restrict what you can do with your ebooks. DRM controls which devices you can use to read your ebook, and stops you converting your ebooks from one format to another.
  • DRM makes buying and using ebooks harder. When you first start using ebooks, you might not notice the restrictions very much. But the restrictions are there.
  • There are several different DRM schemes. Ebooks with one DRM scheme can’t be read on a device that uses a different DRM scheme. Some DRM schemes limit ebooks to one device only, so if you want to read that ebook on a different device, it’s necessary to download the ebook again. Others require new devices to be authorised by a central server on the Internet.
  • When you want to use a different ebook reader, or if the supplier stops supporting the ebooks you’ve bought, you may lose access to your DRMed ebooks.
  • So to be able to read your ebooks on all the devices you have now, and to be sure that you will still be able to read your ebooks in the future, you will want to remove the DRM...

A couple of weeks back, I was sharply reminded of the truth of the first of those points when I started up my PC-based Amazon Kindle reader application (which links to my Kindle account and was supplied by Amazon for free). The thing had been working just fine, but this time it simply shut down with a blunt message that said "This application has expired" (or WTTE). No polite warning or suggestion to auto-update the application. Nothing. Nada. Just "Wham!".
I was livid. For whatever reason, Amazon management had deemed it OK to employ technology to reach into my PC to control and stop me from running an application I had running on it. Just like that.

It is categorically not OK, and I shall not be dictated to by Amazon or anyone else as regards what I do with my eBooks on my PC.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:53 AM »
Following on from my comments above: Backup those eBooks - protect your property.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:42 AM »
Best solution: do whatever it takes to convert each book to an unencrypted pdf.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Best solution: do whatever it takes to convert each book to an unencrypted pdf.

pdf???  You must not read a lot of ebooks.

ePub is a much better format for all readers except Kindle, which requires mobi.  In addition, since both are based on HTML and CSS, so they are likely to be decipherable long after pdf has moved on.

Of course, getting rid of the DRM is the most important thing.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:12 PM »
ePub is a much better format for all readers except Kindle, which requires mobi.  In addition, since both are based on HTML and CSS, so they are likely to be decipherable long after pdf has moved on.

+1.  And usually formatted better also.