topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How do I submit a freeware product for review?  (Read 21042 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How do I submit a freeware product for review?
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:51 PM »
 :)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do I submit a freeware product for review?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06 PM »
This section has instructions/rules and enough space to present what you have :tellme:.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Let me reword that. How do I submit a freeware product for review that I stumbled over online?  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Let me reword that. How do I submit a freeware product for review that I stumbled over online?  :D

You can always write up a "mini-review" of what you found and post it in this section.

But there's no "submit for review" queue or process here. And no review team or moderator. Reviews are independently written by DC members who take it upon themselves to do them on an ad hoc basis. It's all very informal.

If you were the product's developer, you could post on the link Ath provided and possibly make a general request that someone at DC to do a review of it.

But if it's just something you found, your only alternative is to write the review yourself, or mention it in a discussion and hope someone else gets interested enough to write a review.

Addendum: if it's just something you're trying to get reviewed (for whatever reason) you could always send a heads-up to the editors at sites like TheFreewareJunkie, TechSupportAlert, gHacks, or MakeUseOf. They're always looking for good software and services to review.
 :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:30 PM by 40hz »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 02:46 PM »
If you were the product's developer, you could post on the link Ath provided and possibly make a general request that someone at DC to do a review of it.
That's indeed how I interpreted the request, the comment fits in the category 'A picture says more than a thousand words' :huh:

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:36 PM »
You're right... it's something I found  8)

I just wanted to let everyone know it's out there. It's called Fast Duplicate Files Finder. I'm using it to find EXACT duplicate photos on my machine. It's lightning quick, thorough, nicely designed, novice-user friendly, etc. Unlike the others I've tried this one is set to match photos at 100% match by default.

Can I just provide a URL to the tech section of the creators site?  If I have to compose a forum page myself... it'll probably take me days and I'll probably just lose interest.

It's freeware that I didn't find on your site or Gizmo's. I just wanted to share it with everyone.

:(  This is an update to the incorrect sentence directly above   :-[

Gizmo's does have this at their site, and I remember reading their review, but the very-short review doesn't mention duplicate photo finding. That's why I continued searching and found it (another way) again.      :-[ Just thought I'd add this... because it's been buggin' me  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:34 AM by crabby3, Reason: more accurate info »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Can I just provide a URL to the tech section of the creators site?  If I have to compose a forum page myself... it'll probably take me days and I'll probably just lose interest.

I think you'll need to PM Mouser about that one. :)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I don't need to post a URL. Anyone can type Fast Duplicate Files Finder into their (IE) browser and click one of the first listings (under the Sponsor links). When they see MindGems Innovative Software Products on the header and click the Tutorials tab they'll see the functions. This is the URL I was going to provide.

I'm not trying to get a review for any reason.  I just thought that was how you handled freeware suggestions. I thought they needed to be reviewed  :-[

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21 PM »
They don't. And I was only responding to your asking if it would be ok to just post a URL.

I can't answer that.

But there's nothing wrong with opening a new topic under General Software, writing a few words (no need to write a book) about something you want to share ( including maybe why people might be interested in it) and then including a link.

Lots of us have done that. And no permission or approvals are needed.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 05:09 PM »
I don't know anything... how do I add a link to my new General Software topic. I copy pasted the URL but I don't see the usual underline appear like when you copy paste one in an email.

Never mind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:24 PM by crabby3, Reason: Found out how »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 06:21 PM »
The forum uses BBCode. You can enter it raw following this. Or you can just use the editor and highlight what you want to link from and hit the little globe button up above. Paste your URL in the box provided. When the box closes, the appropriate tags will have been inserted automatically.

You can also just type something like: www.google.com and the forum will usually be smart enough to know it's a URL and take you there if you click it.

Note: Links display as blue text with no underline in the forum. Like the word 'this' up above.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:28 PM by 40hz »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice, 40hz, I'll use it the next time I find some freeware worth sharing  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 06:36 PM »
My pleasure. Always glad to see a new face around here. Sorry it was such a hassle for you first time out.  See ya round the campus!  Don't be a stranger.  :)

Addendum: just so you know, we're not restricted to freeware or FOSS here. If you're aware of something good, share it. Doesn't matter if it's a commercial product. They even encourage developers to drop by and toot their own horn as long as they're not making straight advertisement or spam posts. Got a few developers in our ranks already.

How cool is that? 8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:45 PM by 40hz »