topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Waterfox has now been accepted as a Mozilla project  (Read 53162 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Waterfox has now been accepted as a Mozilla project
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 02:31 PM »
I'm not sure how Waterfox differs from other Firefox clones.  I've been running PaleMoon for a while now, after a Firefox update wreaked havoc with my setup.  I've been delighted with PaleMoon, which accepted all my Firefox add-ons and which can run at the same time as Firefox if I wish.  And unlike one earlier report in this thread, I've had no problem doing e-commerce with PaleMoon.  One of the things I like most about PaleMoon is the extremely helpful participation of the developer in the forum.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Hmm, now that Waterfox runs like crap on this W8 machine I wonder if Pale Moon will run well?  I tried it on my HP desktop running Vistax64 and it didn't like it.  This Laptop isn't a real dual core.  It's a hyper-threading deal.  Maybe that's why a lot of the browsers seem to hang up when the network is jittery.  So far Opera 64 bit has been very nice on this Lappy.

edit: I looked up the CPU and I guess it is dual core.  I tried a new hw info program,WinAudit, and it said only logical cores hyper-threading.  So much for that theory.  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:37 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I'm giving Pale Moon x64 a try just for grins.  :)

Edit: so far it's definitely snappier than Waterfox.  I'll see how it goes. :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:54 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2013, 04:15 PM »
btw does anyone have a Pale Moon favorite reply saver thingy?  You are typing a reply to a post and the connection goes down along with all the text typed.  I tried one in FF but it seemed klunky(and I don't remember the name of it.)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2013, 04:30 PM »
btw does anyone have a Pale Moon favorite reply saver thingy?  You are typing a reply to a post and the connection goes down along with all the text typed.

You lose all the text when you hit Post/Preview if the connection is down?

I've just used the back button - just tried it now with the NIC disabled and all this text was still here.

Sometimes the text is lost but generally it survives.

BTW, what CPU is it ?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 04:35 PM »
btw does anyone have a Pale Moon favorite reply saver thingy?  You are typing a reply to a post and the connection goes down along with all the text typed.

You lose all the text when you hit Post/Preview if the connection is down?

I've just used the back button - just tried it now with the NIC disabled and all this text was still here.

Sometimes the text is lost but generally it survives.

BTW, what CPU is it ?

CPU is E1-1200.

Yeah I've done back button before.  But I got a weirdy where DonationCoder site disappeared and the college page where you have to submit an email address zapped into its place.  I'm trying Lazarus.  Although I think it may conflict on forums with built in autosave like SevenForums.  I'll try it for a few days.  Almost anything is better than total erasure,

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 05:00 PM »
CPU is E1-1200.

AMD don't do Hyper-Threading - they're real cores and their internal GPUs will generally beat the hell out of Intel's comparative product.

I was looking at get a small APU powered notebook, (11-13" ish), for a while ... unfortunately spouse-inflicted constraints came into effect  :(

EDIT: Just installed Form History Control to see how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:23 PM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 05:23 PM »
AMD don't do Hyper-Threading
  I tried a new system info utility and that's what it said.  Since then I looked it up on AMD.  I haven't done anything intensive yet.  My video conversion days are done.  Eventually I'll likely do some small vc++ compiles on it.  Right now I'm kind of lazy even to do the ahk stuff.  I have to get back into the swing of it.  :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 08:31 PM »
btw does anyone have a Pale Moon favorite reply saver thingy?  You are typing a reply to a post and the connection goes down along with all the text typed.  I tried one in FF but it seemed klunky(and I don't remember the name of it.)
I highly recommend the free add-on Lazarus.  I've used it for several years on both Firefox and Pale Moon, and it has saved me many times.  I haven't tried the newest version (3), since version 2.3 works well with Pale Moon and I've seen no need to change.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 07:41 AM »
btw does anyone have a Pale Moon favorite reply saver thingy?  You are typing a reply to a post and the connection goes down along with all the text typed.  I tried one in FF but it seemed klunky(and I don't remember the name of it.)
I highly recommend the free add-on Lazarus.  I've used it for several years on both Firefox and Pale Moon, and it has saved me many times.  I haven't tried the newest version (3), since version 2.3 works well with Pale Moon and I've seen no need to change.

Thanks for the info.  I'm using it in PM now.  So far so good.   :Thmbsup:

Edit: when I say "it" I mean Lazarus 2.3 that is.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:35 AM by MilesAhead »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23 AM »
I haven't tried the newest version (3), since version 2.3 works well with Pale Moon

"Options" in version 3 is so odd I almost investigated what it is about - but only almost. I saw a "buy"-button, and went no further. Did you by chance keep a version of the 2.3 installer, cyberdiva?

---------
version 3 Options: chrome://lazarus/content/options.html - 64 Pale Moon 24.2.0 20131124150054

2013-12-09_181216.gif

:tellme:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Curt, I think Lazarus (at least version 2.3) was simply a Firefox add-on that may still be available.  A Google search turned up
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/ .  You might give it a try.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Curt, I think Lazarus (at least version 2.3) was simply a Firefox add-on that may still be available.  A Google search turned up
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/ .  You might give it a try.

Yup.  I downloaded and installed it yesterday.  Seems to work fine in Pale Moon.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Waterfox 26
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Waterfox 26 was released 26 Dec 2013, and today I was finally being informed! But I cannot be bothered to try it now when 7 weeks have passed, and we know Mozilla wants to push a new version every 6 weeks. Oh, so many things are not how they should be, talking about Waterfox. As an example, the latest Waterfox on the program's  homepage on SourceForge is from 2011  :o Confused? Wait for the next episode of WaterSoap, eh... WaterFox  ,  if ever there will be one!

7 weeks late, this was in my mail today:

2014-02-13_160718.gif

Did you try Waterfox 26? Please tell!!  :tellme:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Did you try Waterfox 26? Please tell!!
  I'm using it now.  At least on my Laptop Windows 8.0 it is really herky jerky.  Unusable really.  Just now when I logged in it took 3 letters of my user name, then sat there for 10 seconds before echoing the rest.

Seems it is totally out performed by Pale Moon and even FF 27.0 32 bit portable.  In fact now that Pale Moon is stable again I should uninstall it.  The only reason I put it back on was to have a "default" browser.  And doing that with portables just doesn't work right.

I think I'll take it off now.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2014, 04:41 PM »
thank you for the mini-report, Miles. I have been using Pale Moon for a couple of months, and am very pleased with it.

2014-02-13.gif
http://www.palemoon.org/

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2014, 10:18 PM »
And for those with netbooks that have Atom processors: Pale Moon Intel Atom builds

Pale Moon - Intel Atom™ builds
This version of Pale Moon is optimized specifically for use on Intel Atom™ processors.
Many low-powered netbooks and laptops are equipped with this processor, and using a build of Pale Moon specifically optimized for this processor will reduce power consumption and increase speed of the browser for these systems.

Please note the following:

• These builds are specifically optimized for Intel Atom™ processors, and are not recommended for regular Intel or AMD processors. The extra optimizations only work on Atom processors and will execute significantly slower than the normal version of Pale Moon on a non-Atom processor.
  • These builds are otherwise exactly the same as the normal desktop version of Pale Moon, built from the same source code. No other changes are made to the browser.

Also, with the latest update of Tab Mix Plus (0.4.1.3), my F3 key has stopped being eaten during searches - it works normally again.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:29 PM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 10:59 AM »
I have been using Pale Moon for a couple of months, and am very pleased with it.

I see you are running the latest. I'm using 24.3.0.  It seems fine so I've been reluctant to update.  But if you don't notice anything funky then I guess it's time. :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Miles, I too use Pale Moon 24.3.2 and have not had any problems.  I switched from Firefox to Pale Moon
about a year ago and have been very happy with it, both with the program itself and with the active participation of the developer in the Pale Moon forums. 

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Miles, I too use Pale Moon 24.3.2 and have not had any problems.  I switched from Firefox to Pale Moon
about a year ago and have been very happy with it, both with the program itself and with the active participation of the developer in the Pale Moon forums. 

I know what you mean about the forum.  I posted a couple of times and got replies from the developer.  A nice forum there.  I didn't notice any sarcastic replies.  Although I didn't read a statistically significant sample.  :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 08:46 AM »
I know what you mean about the forum.  I posted a couple of times and got replies from the developer.  A nice forum there.  I didn't notice any sarcastic replies.  Although I didn't read a statistically significant sample.  :)
Yes, my experience too is that the forum is remarkably civilized.  It offers an especially striking contrast to the Mozilla/Firefox fan-boys forums.  And not only is the level of civility much higher on the Pale Moon forums, so too is the level of expertise, not just from the developer but also from a number of quite knowledgeable and helpful forum members.  :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Heh.  Speaking of fanboys... I didn't make many friends on Opera forum when I suggested that a triple mouse click just to select a line contributed to CTS.  :)  But them I'm not a mouse gestures guy.  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Silly me. I thought Pale Moon was x64 only so I never paid it any attention as I *need* my extensions. Now that I see that it's offered in an x86 version as well I'm off to try it out.

(Pro tip: buried on the web site it's explained that Pale Moon version numbers do not equate to Firefox version numbers, i.e. Pale Moon v24.3.2 is not based off of Firefox v24, but rather Firefox v27.)

I've literally just installed it. I'll have more of an opinion once I get my extensions installed and set up.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Well, that didn't last long.  >:(

Sticky Password is not compatible with Pale Moon.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Sticky Password is not compatible with Pale Moon.

do you mean, "not compatible with Firefox 27"? Pale Moon should be but a Firefox.

modifying:
I said it wrong. Of course PM 24.3.2 is not identical to Ff 27. However, I have not yet had any kind of troubles with extensions on Pale Moon.