topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Waterfox has now been accepted as a Mozilla project  (Read 53171 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Waterfox has now been accepted as a Mozilla project
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 09:02 PM »
It's still Windows only.  :-\

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 12:24 PM »
It's still Windows only.  :-\
Dude, check my links, there may be no need:
https://www.donation....msg275686#msg275686

Swiftfox still had a few glitches on my system (don't recall ATM what), but 64-bit Nightly has been running like a champ from day one.
Nightly updates and all...  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 02:08 PM »
^Had several annoying glitches with Swiftfox a while back and dumped it. Guess it's time to give it another try.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Yeah, the first time I tried it, I don't think it even ran.  The last time, it ran, but with a few caveats.  I'm chewing turkey at the in-laws for the nonce, so can't say what at the moment, though my foggy memory recalls it something to do with 32-bit, and I see they have a 64 bit build available now. 

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Not sure what consequences this has for Waterfox... "Turning off Win64 builds"

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Yeah, the first time I tried it, I don't think it even ran.  The last time, it ran, but with a few caveats.  I'm chewing turkey at the in-laws for the nonce, so can't say what at the moment, though my foggy memory recalls it something to do with 32-bit, and I see they have a 64 bit build available now. 

Well, I'm home with just the immediate family this year. And turkey won't be done for at least another hour...so I might as well post this while I have a few minutes.

Loaded and ran the 64-bit version of Swiftfox 3.6.13 under Linux. It is noticeably faster for some things. And it generally works fine - as long as I don't want to use some of my most used add-ons any more. Also locked up on a Google search a few times without warning and I had to "kill -9" it to force it to let go.

Oh well. Think I'm gonna stick to vanilla FF for the time being.

Onward! :Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Onward it is!! (though I do recommend Nightly)  :Thmbsup:

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Today both my Firefox and Waterfox failed to connect to Google services ("Trying to reach Google.com..."), making them unusable for my main tasks with Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar (and even some sites that used Google Analytics). This happened after I used CCleaner and forgot to close Waterfox during the process (not sure if that's related).

However everything worked fine in IE9 and Chrome. Which made me think, is this a ploy by Google to make people switch to Chrome? Or am I just being paranoid and messed something up with Waterfox/Firefox? (I'm on Win7, 64-bit).

For a page in Waterfox that has a Google Doc embedded in it, I get the message:

The page at https://docs.google.com says:
A server error occurred. Please press ’Reload' in your browser.

Again, it works fine in IE9 and Chrome.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:14 AM by dr_andus »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2013, 08:26 AM »
@dr_andus - FWIW my copy of Firefox 18.0 running under Linux connected to the GDocs page you referenced just fine. I was able to login to my account without incident.

Screenshot from 2013-01-17 09:23:05.png

Check your internet connection settings. You may be having a proxy issue with https.

Might also have something to do with a temporary problem accessing from the UK? I'm in the USA.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:32 AM by 40hz »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Thanks. You might be right that it's temporary but it's been happening all day, so I've been forced to switch to and set up Chrome, to be able to carry on working... Oh, well...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Waterfox is 16.01 and FF is 16.02

Waterfox is still 16.01, but Firefox is now 18.
Should I worry for the future of Waterfox?
 :tellme:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 10:11 AM »

sure that's only a couple of minor updates behind ;-)

(seriously though, I dont know)
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17 AM »

sure that's only a couple of minor updates behind ;-)

(seriously though, I dont know)

I'd take it more as a plus. :P  Mozilla's new "rush to release" marketing-driven dev cycle has been mostly a hassle for many Firefox users as far as I'm concerned.

And even if it weren't, I wouldn't be too concerned since a version "year" only lasts about three months at the rate the Moz Foundation is going. ;D

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2013, 11:20 AM »
dr_andus, I too am using Firefox (18.0) on Win 7 64-bit, and I had no trouble connecting to the URL you gave.  I also read my Gmail earlier today.  I have noticed that everything seems slower today, but that's not just when I'm using Firefox.  Perhaps some of my neighbors may be doing major downloads, or the stars in the heavens are misaligned, or . . .  Anyway, it may be that the problem you're having is only on your computer, not something affecting Firefox more generally.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2013, 12:13 PM »
cyberdiva - thanks. The thing is my access via Chrome or IE is fast, it seems only Waterfox is having difficulty. I thought I also tried Firefox but now when I try to launch Firefox Waterfox takes over and I don't seem to be able to run Firefox alongside it. But otherwise my internet access is fine.

I really wonder if I messed something up by running CCleaner and not shutting Waterfox down. CCleaner usually forces browsers to be closed down to clear the cache, so I'm even surprised it was able to run with Waterfox open.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I just downloaded Pale Moon again, figuring by now whatever glitch was bothering me last year has been patched. Lo, it does seem to be a couple of seconds faster. Go switching!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 12:59 PM »
cyberdiva - thanks. The thing is my access via Chrome or IE is fast, it seems only Waterfox is having difficulty. I thought I also tried Firefox but now when I try to launch Firefox Waterfox takes over and I don't seem to be able to run Firefox alongside it. But otherwise my internet access is fine.

I really wonder if I messed something up by running CCleaner and not shutting Waterfox down. CCleaner usually forces browsers to be closed down to clear the cache, so I'm even surprised it was able to run with Waterfox open.

try a system restore?
Tom

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2013, 04:01 PM »
This seems further evidence that the problem isn't with Firefox or Waterfox in general but rather something that happened to them on your computer.  I was about to suggest trying a system restore, but I see tomos has beaten me to it.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. In the end I didn't go for the system restore because my most recent restore point was after a critical Windows update and it said my Firefox would need to be reinstalled if I went ahead.

So instead I uninstalled Waterfox first to see what would happen. The problem continued in Firefox (I think I had the latest version). Plus it kept telling me to install a bunch of java updates in a loop, without installing them. So I uninstalled Firefox and installed Pale Moon instead. All working fine now.

P.S. And I even got the little plus sign for "Open a new tab" back, which I lost somehow over time from both Firefox and Waterfox.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Waterfox is still 16.01, but Firefox is now 18. Should I worry for the future of Waterfox? :tellme:

Waterfox has been stuck at version 18.01 for very long, and the number of "issues" has been growing and growing. Yesterday facebook made it freeze again and again ("program not answering"), so now I am running the normal Firefox, and facebook is again acting normal. Good-bye, Waterfox, may you be updated.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:02 AM by Curt, Reason: wording »

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 08:37 AM »
I have used version 16 in the past. I had forgotten why I uninstalled it, I now installed version 18.0.1 and was reminded of why I removed version 16.
Some add-ons are not compatible: roboform not being the least. I will now remove version 18 as it has the same problems. Too bad, I enjoyed the speed.
JR

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 10:18 AM »
The main reason I stopped using Waterfox, Pale Moon etc. and returned to Firefox because the former couldn't handle e-commerce transactions properly. I'd be shopping, fill in all my details, hit "purchase" and then it turns out the transaction couldn't go through apparently because of the browser - in Chrome or Firefox the purchase would always go through. The one time I really want my browser to work is when I'm buying stuff and I'm about to pay...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Now that I'm using WiFi the thing I notice is when the network is busy or sporadic, FF 32 bit and Waterfox are just about unusable.  I noticed a mention of Opera 64 bit.  It's been a long time since I used Opera as my main browser.  But I gave it a try.  I'm pleasantly surprised.  I have Windows 8 on a Laptop and the text on many sites is easier to read in Opera.  But the main difference is that scrollbars almost never freeze in Opera during crappy network response when it is common on the other browsers.  Opera seems much snappier both after loading and in normal usage.

It still does some stuff to piss me off like putting crappy bookmarks on that I don't want.  But I can work around that stuff.  Just the fact it's usable out of the box is great.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Sorry if offtopic but MilesAhead please tell which version of Opera 64-bit you tried ?
Any link to download it ?

Thanks
Ska

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Sorry if offtopic but MilesAhead please tell which version of Opera 64-bit you tried ?
Any link to download it ?

Thanks
Ska

I'm running 12.14.  I tried the update to 12.16 but I had issues with Hotmail/Outlook Login.  12.14 seems fine though.