Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 23, 2014, 01:19:41 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Waterfox has now been accepted as a Mozilla project  (Read 12513 times)
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

Waterfox is a x64 build of Firefox, I've been using it for a while after Pale Moon x64 was giving me some strange problems.  Pale Moon directory structure was also different to Firefox's, this was good for those times when programs expected to just dump things onto Firefox, (toolbars, bookmarks, etc), because they couldn't find the directories, (thus assumed no browser), but not so good when you were trying to get some plugin to work.

So far I haven't found any problems with using Waterfox over Firefox.

Powered by Mozilla & Waterfox 9.0.1
Jan 7, 2012
Posted by: MrAlex

Waterfox has now been accepted as a project by Mozilla and has been placed on their website! Waterfox 9.0.1 has also been released, but at the moment is only available through the internal updating program available in Waterfox 9.0. This is to try and iron out any issues for the release of Waterfox.

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »

VaporFox will be the 128bit version....sorry couldn't resist.

I have used it briefly, as with Pale Moon, it seems better than the original.
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »

I'd prefer SamanthaFox   tongue

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:41 PM »

80's...the memories  cheesy
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:08 AM »

... and if you're running Linux, get Swiftfox:
http://getswiftfox.com/

... or the Nightly build, if you like tempting fate, living on the edge or eating Fuguw:
http://nightly.mozilla.org

... or Swiftweasel if you're running Debian and actually care about all the trademark brouhaha:
http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org

Don't know how any of these stack up to Waterfox, especially because it's optimized for Windows, but the Swiftfox and Swiftweasel builds are optimized for different CPUs.

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
panzer
Participant

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:50:59 AM »

I am sad that I have to tell you this news, but Samantha is Lesbian btw.

smiley
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:28 AM »

I am sad that I have to tell you this news, but Samantha is Lesbian btw.

smiley

Doesn't stop me looking cheesy

Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:44:49 AM »

Fond memories indeed...and a titbit of info I didn't know about her.  Wink
MrCrispy
Participant

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »

Look, I realize this is the beauty of open source. But I don't need 3 separate release channels, nightlies, PaleMoon, Waterfox, the other customized builds on mozillazine. I don't need SrWare Iron, portableapps versions etc.

Just give me one damn install package that works. Give me an option for a portable install. Have an option in the app to accept beta updates, or only stable ones. This browser fragmentation is ridiculous, and no one cares about it.
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:56 AM »

Look, I realize this is the beauty of open source. But I don't need 3 separate release channels, nightlies, PaleMoon, Waterfox, the other customized builds on mozillazine. I don't need SrWare Iron, portableapps versions etc.

Just give me one damn install package that works. Give me an option for a portable install. Have an option in the app to accept beta updates, or only stable ones. This browser fragmentation is ridiculous, and no one cares about it.

I totally agree with you, this is really getting out of hand, and I had enough of it in the Firefox/Iceweasel debacle.
HOWEVER, it's apparently the only way to get a 64-bit version, as Mozilla hasn't gotten their act together enough to do that through the main channels, except for Nightly.
 undecided
* Edvard downloads Swiftfox

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

Waterfox is a x64 build of Firefox, I've been using it for a while ...

first launch error message: >The program could not start because MSVCR100.dll is missing.<
 tellme

Edited:
Okay; I found it in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)
 thumbs up
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:01:03 PM by Curt » Logged
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »

Waterfox is fast!  And regular firefox addons work??  Cool.

MilesAhead

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »

Waterfox is 16.01 and FF is 16.02 so is it up to date afa latest security whatever?

I'm going to try it. How can I resist a 64 bit browser written in C++? I'm waiting for the download to complete.

"I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
 - Groucho Marx

MilesAhead

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »

Not very encouraging.  The installer crashed with "The Application ran into a problem I couldn't handle. Sorry for the inconvenience."

And this splash screen popped up behind the install dialog.

- Groucho Marx

MilesAhead

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »

Not very encouraging.  The installer crashed with "The Application ran into a problem I couldn't handle. Sorry for the inconvenience."

And this splash screen popped up behind the install dialog.

I guess the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. Just like FF, if you select Custom Install instead of Typical, it craps out!! Hah hah hah

I'm on it now after doing Typical install. Seems SyncPlaces worked. But it did kind of hang a turn blue for a disconcerting about of time.  At least it came up with all my bookmark toolbar folders etc..

So time to surf and see if this thing flies. smiley

- Groucho Marx

MilesAhead

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »

It passed my "off the dime" test at any rate. I have it set to come up with Speed-Dial page. My test is, start MBAM doing a quick scan.  When it starts reading off the HD, start the browser.  Waterfox came right up!!  Not bad!!

Edit: I guess it should though. Seems to like to use at least 254 MB of memory even if you only have one page open!  But on an 8 GB machine I guess I can live with it.  Seems pretty solid. Only thing is even with hotkeys I can't seem to get tabs to open in foreground and background the way I want with mouse clicks, like I can with chrome.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:19:55 PM by MilesAhead » Logged

- Groucho Marx

MilesAhead

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »

btw is anyone else using FVD Speed Dial ??

I haven't tried the online sync part. But it's very similar to Speed-Dial 2 for chrome. When I first started moving dials around it was driving me nuts. I couldn't tell when the dial I was dropping near would swap or not. But I was moving too fast.  If you move the dragged dial around near the target it pops up arrows showing if you'll get a swap or it will just insert itself in the row. Looks like they did a nice job with it.

- Groucho Marx

Contro
Participant

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »

may you post a photo of the last version of Samantha Fox ?
 Kiss
MilesAhead

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

Places AddOn Info has a few tidbits of info regarding SyncPlaces, SortPlaces,CheckPlaces and SearchPlaces. For one, it shows how to set the max FF version in the xpi file.  A good idea before upgrading to a higher major FF version.

Also it has downloads for the last version of each AddOn.

- Groucho Marx

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »

So, would you say you're happy enough with it Miles?

Tom
MilesAhead

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »

Waterfox seems fine. I only use chromium as secondary now. I added StopAutoplay and AutoFillForms. AFF isn't as good as the chromium form filler. But it's ok.

- Groucho Marx

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »

Waterfox seems fine. I only use chromium as secondary now. I added StopAutoplay and AutoFillForms. AFF isn't as good as the chromium form filler. But it's ok.

Thanks, I'll give it a go

Tom
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 06:22:46 PM »

I've went back to Palemoon a couple of months ago - Waterfox was giving me some problems, (sorry, can't remember what).

No doubt as soon as Palemoon screws something up I'll swap back to Waterfox  cheesy

MilesAhead

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »

I tried Pale Moon. I downloaded their applet to transfer stuff from FF profile. Could not get it to work. About the only inconsistency I find with WF is it seems to drop more mouse clicks than most. But it came up with all my AddOns working except for Sync* family of AddOns. I just had to change the xpi file for max FF major version number to 16.

- Groucho Marx

4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »

I tried Pale Moon. I downloaded their applet to transfer stuff from FF profile.

I just copied my profile from Waterfox without using the transfer program, anything else was picked up through the inbuilt sync, (since the sync ID was copied along with the profile directory).

About the only inconsistency I find with WF is it seems to drop more mouse clicks than most.

That's it!  I got sick of it dropping mouse clicks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.048s | Server load: 0.04 ]