ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I came to a conclusion this morning...

<< < (4/7) > >>

40hz:
I'm not *that* old. And I try to keep fairly active. Even so, it's annoying to stretch after sitting for a few hours, and something in my shoulders and neck makes a sound like an old mechanical music box being wound up followed shortly after by a 'pop' best described as the sound a deadbolt makes when it's unlatched.-40hz (January 25, 2012, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

you need Gokhale and more (same thread) ;-)
-tomos (January 25, 2012, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I definitely need something. I've been told it's the result of muscular tension brought on by stress.

Since I'm usually a fairly calm individual - and feel that way - I suspect I've become a master at subconsciously pushing it all down. And it's now reaching critical mass.

Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to check them out. :)

40hz:
I wished a friend a happy b-day on FB, and he replied that he'd totally forgotten about it. That tends to happen once you no longer love turning another year older. :D-Renegade (January 22, 2012, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not that old (or so I keep insisting) and I've long since lost the love of turning another year older. I don't usually completely space my birthday but perhaps that's because, like your friend, someone will remind me. I'll tell you though, I've had a hard time keeping track of my age since I was 19.
-Deozaan (January 25, 2012, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

That might be a symptom of thinking you're secretly immortal - or at least not truly believeing you aren't.

Funny thing about holidays, birthdays, and serendips...

When you're younger, you tend to breeze by them. Christmas parties? I'll pass. My birthday? Who cares?

But as you get older (and I don't mean standing at Death's door) it suddenly dawns on you one day that there's a significantly smaller number of them before you than there are behind you. And you now realize on a very deep and personal, rather than a purely intellectual level, that they will be coming to an end much sooner than you originally thought. At which point, they all become much more precious.

When you're flush, you tend not to count your change. When you're down to your last $1000, you look at calendars  - and start watching every penny.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why, as people get older, they appear more "sentimental" or maudlin to those who still haven't realized (on a gut level) that they really won't be living forever. As in: really... won't...be.

It's not so much older people get sentimental. It's more like they've just been...humbled by the realization that nothing is going to last forever. Not even them.

And once that happens, you tend to "lighten up."  ;D

I came to a conclusion this morning...

:Thmbsup:

mahesh2k:
 ;D

Stoic Joker:
Since I'm usually a fairly calm individual - and feel that way - I suspect I've become a master at subconsciously pushing it all down. And it's now reaching critical mass.-40hz (January 25, 2012, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you started getting annoyed by people asking you how you stay so calm yet? I've found that that is the first sign that Stoic needs a vacation before somebody gets hurt. :)

40hz:

Have you started getting annoyed by people asking you how you stay so calm yet? 

-Stoic Joker (January 25, 2012, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. But they're buried in the basement. And that sort is never missed... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version