topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Increasing Notebook PC Volume  (Read 13084 times)

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Increasing Notebook PC Volume
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:57 PM »
Every ThinkPad I've ever owned has inadequate volume (using internal speakers).  When the sound is turned all the way up, I can hear no signs of distortion.  So I imagine that it could go louder.

Does anyone know how to get it louder?

Thanks -- Vincent

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Increasing Notebook PC Volume
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:18 PM »
Now this sounds like a great idea. I'm in the same boat with the speakers on my notebook - useless (and yet, like you Kruskal, I always have them at full volume with no distortion that I can detect)...

Mooseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:09 PM »
I did find this article that gives a way of increasing the sound:
http://www.netlobo.c...m/laptop_volume.html
By using the equalizer of a particular software, you can even limit the frequencies that will cause distortion (mostly the lower band or bass) and increase those that will allow you to hear better.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:26 PM »
!Thanks Mooseman, I'll take a look!

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 02:50 PM »
I did find this article that gives a way of increasing the sound:
http://www.netlobo.c...m/laptop_volume.html
By using the equalizer of a particular software, you can even limit the frequencies that will cause distortion (mostly the lower band or bass) and increase those that will allow you to hear better.
What we need to solve this problem in general is an equalizer (with amplification) that comes between the audio card and the rest of the system.

Vincent

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 03:06 PM »
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by the article as well. No doubt following the suggestions will improve things, but I'm looking for something that will simply increase the volume on my system without requiring me to tweak each app. On a related note, my notebook has on board sound (Centrino). I have circumvented the problem with a Creative USB soundcard - much, much improved when routed through some active speakers. Another interesting thing is that using headphones plugged into the onboard soundcard, I can crank the volume beyond the limits of my ability to bear it, which suggests that Vincent's original suggestion that there must be some way to increase the volume is right.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:58 PM »
I just downloaded a trial version of WebEQ which seems to be just what we are looking for.  Its system-wide equalizer permits +10db amplification. But during the most trivial initial tests I can't hear any difference in volume.  I will test more and report back.

Meanwhile you can test also: http://www.blazeaudi.../products/webeq.html

Vincent

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:20 PM »
I just downloaded a trial version of WebEQ which seems to be just what we are looking for.  Its system-wide equalizer permits +10db amplification. But during the most trivial initial tests I can't hear any difference in volume.  I will test more and report back.

Meanwhile you can test also: http://www.blazeaudi.../products/webeq.html

Vincent
Turns out I forgot to turn it on.  It comes out of the box off -- you have to push the Equalize button.

I can raise the volume so that I can hear distortion on most A/V sources.  But some remain so quite that +10db is not as much as I would want.  Still WebEQ is quite an improvement.

Vincent

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:23 AM »
Interesting - thanks for the link, I'm off to test it.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 12:30 AM »
I just paid for it.  I think you get an very small break additional if you buy it after you download the trial.

Vincent

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 08:55 AM »
I just paid for it.  I think you get an very small break additional if you buy it after you download the trial.

Vincent

Yes - it *looks* like you get an additional 10% off. I haven't installed it yet (went to be - it's now just about 7 am here), but am going to test fly it today.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 09:03 AM »
I have reported the following bugs/problems:

1- There is a very strange problem with the WebEQ program icon.  It displays as a blank at both Explorer sizes, although it looks fine in the change icon dialog and in the system tray.

2- You can't have it open minimized to the System Tray.

3- Should have a larger range than +-10db.

Vincent

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Hmmm... Interesting - it works with XMPlay no problem (with or without DFX processing the output) but in every other player I've tried if it is processing the sound my speakers crackle, regardless of whether or not it is the eq, bass boost, or both that is activated AND regardless of whether I am using one of the presets or have all of the sliders zeroed. Weird. So far I've tried WMP 11, iTunes, MusicMixerIP Premium and GOMPlayer (hadn't realised how nice an mp3 player GOMPlayer is until this morning). I tried all of them both with and without their respective equalizers (or equalizer plug-ins - DFX in WMP) enabled and disabled. Didn't make a difference.

Right, time to do some research on this - help manual and FAQ!

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Hmmm... Interesting - it works with XMPlay no problem (with or without DFX processing the output) but in every other player I've tried if it is processing the sound my speakers crackle, regardless of whether or not it is the eq, bass boost, or both that is activated AND regardless of whether I am using one of the presets or have all of the sliders zeroed. Weird. So far I've tried WMP 11, iTunes, MusicMixerIP Premium and GOMPlayer (hadn't realised how nice an mp3 player GOMPlayer is until this morning). I tried all of them both with and without their respective equalizers (or equalizer plug-ins - DFX in WMP) enabled and disabled. Didn't make a difference.

Right, time to do some research on this - help manual and FAQ!
Is it OK when the Equalize button is OFF?

I heard a lot of distortion with iTunes (Rock) at my Maximum setting, but it was fine at the Rock setting.  I AM using my notebook internal speakers, so it is quite a different situation then you have.

Vincent

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Hi Vincent - I'm running a Gateway Centrino notebook and the above was experienced using the onboard soundcard and the system speakers. What's weird is that I've just attached my Creative USB soundcard and the static is gone, regardless of the media player that I use. Funny that ONLY XMPlay gives good, clear sound when both it and WebEQ are running through the onboard sound/built in speakers.

Is it OK when the Equalize button is OFF?...I heard a lot of distortion with iTunes (Rock) at my Maximum setting, but it was fine at the Rock setting.

If the equalizer button is OFF everything is fine (but note that if the bass boost is ON, and the equalizer is OFF, the problem is there). I played around with all of the presets and it didn't make any difference. Anyway, I've contacted the developer and await his/her response. I'll report back.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Just an update - I still haven't heard from the developer - not a good sign. I *did* receive the links for the 10% discount if I purchase during the 14 day trial (I'm on day 5, apparently). Meanwhile the problem persists and I can see no way to fix it. I'll wait until the trial is finished, but I'm not feeling too motivated to purchase. I'm also not hugely impressed by the sound quality, which is quite tinny to my ears. DFX is much warmer... Anyway, Vincent - have you had any response from the developer to your suggestions? Just curious.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 09:13 AM by Darwin »

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 11:22 AM »
Just an update - I still haven't heard from the developer - not a good sign. I *did* receive the links for the 10% discount if I purchase during the 14 day trial (I'm on day 5, apparently). Meanwhile the problem persists and I can see no way to fix it. I'll wait until the trial is finished, but I'm not feeling too motivated to purchase. I'm also not hugely impressed by the sound quality, which is quite tinny to my ears. DFX is much warmer... Anyway, Vincent - have you had any response from the developer to your suggestions? Just curious.
They answered about a third of my questions/emails.  I'm not impressed.

But I do like their product.

Vincent

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Yeah - I should qualify/clarify the sound quality issue I mentioned - the presets aren't very impressive; I'm sure that if I played around with the settings I could improve upon it. For now, I've uninstalled it. It's completely useless to me as it stands and if I don't hear from the developer I won't be buying, anyway. If I do, I'll reload the trial and see...