topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Getting crowdfunding for your project  (Read 3279 times)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Getting crowdfunding for your project
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:00 PM »
I found this article quite interesting:

http://www.rpgwatch....amp;ref=0&id=483

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Getting crowdfunding for your project
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Yeah, Kickstarter has been a boon to some folk I know  :up:.  It has also quashed a few dreams  :down:.  Personally, I'd rather find an angel than try to sell a concept to the unwashed crowd.  Crowdfunding is one (1) of the few crowd things that sometimes works.  But the whole crowd concept is base upon the assumption that {50|500|5,000|50,000|put your number here} people can't be wrong.  That's been proven a fallacy nearly uncountable times.

However, despite my negativism, I know a kid - barely twenty-something - who is currently in negotiations with a major player to market his [physical] invention(s), and a couple of coders who were able to create salable software through Kickstarter funding.  So, while it can be disappointing  :( - as noted in the article - it can also, given the proper presentation, finance a dream  :-*.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:11 AM »
The very talented violinist, Tracy Silverman, is using Kickstarter to fund his next album, rather than signing with a major label and letting them bankroll the project for him.

I wrote about it on my music blog. http://instrumentalu...racy-silvermans.html

Basically, he is asking everyone that is interested in buying his next album to do so in advance, and those funds will be used to produce the album. And if you are feeling really generous and want to throw in more, the more expensive perks would be a dream come true for a real diehard fan, including a violin lesson from him or even a private "house concert".

He has managed to raise about half of what he needs, but only has 17 more days to go to raise the other half.

I am really hoping he makes it. I'd pledge myself, but Kickstarter doesn't accept Paypal.  :(

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:26 PM »
He has managed to raise about half of what he needs, but only has 17 more days to go to raise the other half.

He made it!