topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DNA: do you really want to know?  (Read 4321 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DNA: do you really want to know?
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:55 AM »
Here's the thing: You pay anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars for a genetic test, but what you're really buying is a sense of control. You want to know your dread future and prepare for it - or even prevent it. But with most big genetic scares, like a predisposition for colon cancer, heart problems, or diabetes, what will the doctors tell you? Eat better, stop smoking, get more exercise. You don't need the Delphic Oracle to figure that out.

From an article over at http://www.wired.com....04/start.html?pg=10 (467 words/2254 characters)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DNA: do you really want to know?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:58 AM »
(467 words/2254 characters)
Good idea, to display the size of the article! I wouldn't think of it ;)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:05 AM »
(467 words/2254 characters)
Good idea, to display the size of the article! I wouldn't think of it ;)
Thanks :) I never like it to stumble over an interesting topic, open the page - only to find out it'd take 30 minutes to read while I have little time right now.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:00 PM »
I'd read about these services a few years back in Wired -- the one thing that really sparked my interest was mention of a specific gene -- if you don't have it, you can't/won't get lung cancer -- period.  As a happy smoker, I'd be curious to know if I was/wasn't prone to cancer.

Before anyone says anything, I know -- "if you're worried, quit, then it doesn't matter" -- but I doubt knowing would change my behavior, it's more a matter of morbid curiosity :)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:41 PM »
I'd read about these services a few years back in Wired -- the one thing that really sparked my interest was mention of a specific gene -- if you don't have it, you can't/won't get lung cancer -- period.  As a happy smoker, I'd be curious to know if I was/wasn't prone to cancer.

Before anyone says anything, I know -- "if you're worried, quit, then it doesn't matter" -- but I doubt knowing would change my behavior, it's more a matter of morbid curiosity :)
Well, if you really are the guy from your avatar you *are* one of those who has to go down smoking  ;D ;D

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 09:28 PM »
Going back and forth between my respirator and tobacco :)  And yeah, the avatar is yours truly.