ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

As a counter-point to the SOPA/PIPA demonstration

<< < (20/21) > >>

40hz:
^ And slavery, and poverty, and polio, and hunger, along with sanity, and legal process, and a host of other things. Strange place my country. It's neither as bad, nor as good as its more extreme detractors, and supporters, like to think it is.

That's the problem with a government as fluid as the one the US has. I gets replaced every 4 to 6 years so it doesnt have much in the way of long-term memory. And it's easily manipulated by well organized special interest groups as a result.

What I find amusing is how the US gets blamed by citizens of other countries when their governments go along with US inspired nonsense - much like the US used to blame something called "the communists" for everything that was wrong with the world. Unfortunately, the Soviet Union collapsed and deprived us of our favorite scapegoat. I wonder who other countries will decide to blame next after the collapse of the current USA sometime towards the end of this century?
 :)

superboyac:
^ And slavery, and poverty, and polio, and hunger, along with sanity, and legal process, and a host of other things. Strange place my country. It's neither as bad, nor as good as its more extreme detractors, and supporters, like to think it is.

That's the problem with a government as fluid as the one the US has. I gets replaced every 4 to 6 years so it doesnt have much in the way of long-term memory. And it's easily manipulated by well organized special interest groups as a result.

What I find amusing is how the US gets blamed by citizens of other countries when their governments go along with US inspired nonsense - much like the US used to blame something called "the communists" for everything that was wrong with the world. Unfortunately, the Soviet Union collapsed and deprived us of our favorite scapegoat. I wonder who other countries will decide to blame next after the collapse of the current USA sometime towards the end of this century?
 :)
-40hz (February 02, 2012, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
8)

Renegade:
What I find amusing is how the US gets blamed by citizens of other countries when their governments go along with US inspired nonsense...
-40hz (February 02, 2012, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

As usual, you're right. However, I do think that needs to be addressed somewhat to give you some reasons why... From a Canadian perspective.

Now, I'm a Canadian expat. The situation for Canada is NSFW, so...

The Canadian Situation - NSFWIf Ottawa can't taste Washington DC's cock, it's because Washington DC's cock is in Ottawa's ass.

What's the difference between policy in Washington and policy in Ottawa?

ANSWER: Washington's policy is domestic. Ottawa's is imported.

Why are they the same?

They both have "Made in USA" labels on them.

For **** sakes... Gardasil is now on the Canadian health docket for boys! (Source - Source) And that's just one example. For anyone that is interested in spending a day or 2 doing some research, find out about Monsanto... Another American disease that has infected Canada.

Complete and total insanity. (That started south of the border. Not Mexico.)

When sanity returns to Washington, it will also return to Ottawa.

Addressing the sickness in Canada is largely a waste of time because the root disease is in Washington. Well... That's not completely true, but I'm certainly not going to post the truth about the situation here at DC. Suffice it to say, that in the normal mainstream view (however distorted it is), if we can cure that root cause, and return America to what it was meant to be, that will filter up into Canada and Canada will become healthy again.

Got some nutty idea about how to silence people? Hey! Tell the knot heads in Ottawa! They'll swallow it! (Because the difference between love and like is... back to the NSFW analogy above...)

When the US gets a cold, Canada gets the flu.

A healthy America means a healthy Canada.

I sincerely want to see America restored to the beautiful ideas that it was founded upon. That means a better Canada, and a reason for me to go back at some point.

As it stands, if the US remains as it is, I will never set foot there again.

40hz:
Addressing the sickness in Canada is largely a waste of time because the root disease is in Washington. Well... That's not completely true, but I'm certainly not going to post the truth about the situation here at DC. Suffice it to say, that in the normal mainstream view (however distorted it is), if we can cure that root cause, and return America to what it was meant to be, that will filter up into Canada and Canada will become healthy again.
-Renegade (February 02, 2012, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ren - I'm not quite sure what you mean. But my take is that Canada is its own country. If it isn't, and it's just an un-annexed part of the USA, then there's nothing to be done for it.

But I have far too much respect for Canada and its people to accept that. (And if I'm wrong about them - please don't tell me, ok?)

Maybe it's just an act put on for the Yankee touristas, but the last few times I was up in Montreal, Canadian nationalism seemed alive and quite healthy in both the French and non-French community. In some places it went beyond vibrant. A few times I 'd even characterize it as virulent considering how more than one semi-drunk felt the need to demonstrate such feelings to me each time I was up there.  ;D

But if Ottowa is 'ramping' all over its people, do yourselves a big favor and do something about it before you have a situation, and a shortage of former constitutional protections, like the US now has.

I sincerely want to see America restored to the beautiful ideas that it was founded upon.

--- End quote ---

Truth is, the US is sitting on what is probably the most precarious knife edge it has seen since back when "those who had a say in the matter" decided to make break with their homeland and go it alone.

America is not going to go back to what it used to be any more than it did after the Civil War. If it weathers the storm it's brewed up for itself, there will be a new nation, with new understandings, and a new social contract. How much it retains of what it used to be is anybody's guess. But right now it's too soon to reliably predict which way it will ultimately tip. And Americans have never been overly respectful of the past.

So seriously...don't wait for us to take action.

And I do mean seriously! :tellme:

As a counter-point to the SOPA/PIPA demonstration

Renegade:
I sometimes have to laugh at people that talk about Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state... Canada is~! :D (We joke about it all the time -- it's nothing new. Americans tend to prefix that with, "No offense, but...")

You'll also hear Canadians complain about what sheeple they are... Sigh...

You have no idea how much I've put into trying to push some friends and family back in Canada towards some semblance of sanity... Some are on board. Some don't care. Some stare like a deer in the headlights. Some refuse to believe what's right in front of them. But, that's not a Canadian problem -- that's people in general.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version