ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

As a counter-point to the SOPA/PIPA demonstration

<< < (11/21) > >>

superboyac:
Perhaps part of the mistake is the idea that cash/currency (not sure what the proper term is) is the best way to control the world's power.  In earlier times, when it wasn't so easy to travel, or communicate, I can see this.  But now we can not only travel anywhere in the world in less than a day, we can communicate anywhere instantly, both audio and video, we have unlimited information accessible to us.  These were all effectively controlled by money before.  Directly.  But not anymore.  The way money ties into these things is very flexible now, and there are infinite ways to easily accomplish things with or without money.  So power and money now, globally, is very unique and far more complicated than it ever has been.

So I think the world is going to change as far as how we're used to thinking of money.  I have no idea how that works, but something has to change.  And if the change is just more rules, that's not going to be good for most people.  It's just going to make lives more uncomfortable for most.  And it's not like the powerful will really notice any difference in their lifestyle.  It's just a control issue.  The powerful will always be powerful, that's the way it works.  The beauty of something like the internet is that it doesn't make the powerful less powerful, it just gives MORE opportunities to those who previously didn't have any.  It's a win-win situation if done right.  But the powerful make it sound like they'll be losing something equal to what the less powerful is gaining, and that's not true.  If done right, it just opens up opportunities for others while those who are good stay good.

worstje:
All of you together have probably covered my opinion on this already, but there is one thing I do feel needs special mentioning: how 'copyright holders' got that MegaUpload advertisement pulled under the guise of the DMCA... while they have never owned any copyright on that material! That alone is to me the reason why SOPA/PIPA/ACTA/insert-four-letter-acronym-here should never happen: if they already abuse the current laws, then imagine what they could do with those despicable laws-in-the-making?

Is MegaUpload shady? Yes. I have no doubt they profited from less-than-legal activities.
However, according to the DMCA, especially according to the safe harbor proficiencies defined within, they were very much legal. They supported DMCA take down requests, did as much as the law asked of them to stay legal, and generally acted like a legit business. Compare that to some of their competitors who make none of those attempts, and you really scratch your head. MegaUpload is being made an example out of by the 'all filesharing is evil' crowd.

Apparently it is working, since some of those really shady competitors have since seriously cut back on their services, ripped out their ad-sponsorship programs and the likes. Good result? Maybe. But the way it was achieved is seriously depressing, since laws never remove rules: they only add more of them. :mad:

superboyac:
Is MegaUpload shady? Yes. I have no doubt they profited from less-than-legal activities.
-worstje (January 23, 2012, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
I would LOVE to be able to ask the same question to the banks where I put my money in.  When record companies continually screwed their talent, was that legal, was that shady?  Yet, it was so common that we now expect to hear stories of artists being screwed by the agencies.  But just because it's expected, does that make it legal now?  That's what it feels like.  When those artists were poor/normal people, wasn't their talent their power?  And when that power was converted to money, who got it?  And now that the companies are extremely powerful, they have put rules in place to prevent any of the power from backwards movement.  it feels like it sets up a situation for a one-way flow of power and money.

40hz:
When record companies continually screwed their talent, was that legal, was that shady?  Yet, it was so common that we now expect to hear stories of artists being screwed by the agencies.  But just because it's expected, does that make it legal now?  That's what it feels like.  When those artists were poor/normal people, wasn't their talent their power?  And when that power was converted to money, who got it?  And now that the companies are extremely powerful, they have put rules in place to prevent any of the power from backwards movement.  it feels like it sets up a situation for a one-way flow of power and money.
-superboyac (January 23, 2012, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely right.

In the past, musicians got royally screwed over by the recording industry.

Today, musicians get royally screwed over by many (if not most) of their listeners.

Yet somehow, this new reality makes things significantly better for all the working musicians out there.

(Ok. Can somebody please explain to me exactly what it is I'm missing in this logic?)
 ;D

Renegade:
Then STFU about piracy. Period.
-Renegade (January 23, 2012, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Ren - minor niggle & a personal request: Could we maybe not do the STFU thing here? There's better ways to say it...and this isn't MySpace. :)
-40hz (January 23, 2012, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry - not my intent to offend you or anyone here. The point is that if someone is unwilling to take someone's money, then don't complain. But I really can't apologize for the "STFU" there. I really mean it. Like, if someone is offered money, but they refuse to take it, well, I have less than zero sympathy for them. I have nothing but contempt for these people. If anything, I massively understated what I think/feel about that situation.

Perhaps my use of "you" vs. "someone" was inappropriate. I mean "you" as in if you are one of those that would do whatever is being referred to.

Still, I'll try to rein in myself and attempt to be somewhat more diplomatic. (No guarantees ;) :P )

(Have yet to address anything else... need to get back to vodka, then sleep ;) :P )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version