ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

As a counter-point to the SOPA/PIPA demonstration

<< < (3/21) > >>

Renegade:
http://rt.com/usa/news/megaupload-shut-million-authorities-231/

American authorities helped issue arrests on Thursday for four people in New Zealand that they say are responsible for the website.
--- End quote ---

Ahem... Since when do "American authorities" have jurisdiction in New Zealand?

Does anyone get where this is going? Global police? Police state? Police planet?

-Renegade (January 19, 2012, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was where I was going next.  All of these arrests were not made in America.  Which makes the timing doubly suspicious as that type of thing takes coordination.  What makes it worse is actually this line...

The agency said it executed more than 20 search warrants in the United States and eight countries...

--- End quote ---

That kind of thing takes massive coordination.
-wraith808 (January 19, 2012, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Add in this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-57362437-256/anonymous-goes-nuclear-everybody-loses/

My sources tell me the timing of the Megaupload arrests was no accident. The federal government, they say, was spoiling for a fight after the apparent defeat of SOPA/PIPA and not a little humiliation at the hands of the Web. And what better way to bolster the cause for cyber-crackdown than by pointing to a massive display of cyber-terrorism at the hands of everyone's favorite Internet boogeyman: Anonymous?

If the SOPA/PIPA protests were the Web's moment of inspiring, non-violent, hand-holding civil disobedience, #OpMegaUpload feels like the unsettling wave of car-burning hooligans that sweep in and incite the riot portion of the play. The result is always riot gear, tear gas, arrests, injury, and a sea of knee-jerk policies, laws, and reactions that address the destructive actions of a few, and not the good intentions of the many.

I don't truly know whether Anonymous was cleverly goaded into #OpMegaUpload. But I do know that an attack this big on this many government sites will effectively erase those good Internet vibrations that were rattling around Capitol Hill this week and harden the perspective of legislators and law enforcement who want to believe that the Web community is made up of wild, law-breaking pirates. That, ultimately, may help strengthen the business--and the emotional--case for the pro-SOPA, pro-PIPA lobby. Did the feds just get the last lulz?

--- End quote ---

Ya gotta wonder...

This is not going to end well...

wraith808:
That's just insane.  And that image... @MollyWood's tweet?  Yeah... I agree 100%

If you think the people behind the Patriot Act, DHS, and Gitmo will let this stand? You're insane.

--- End quote ---

Renegade:
That's just insane.  And that image... @MollyWood's tweet?  Yeah... I agree 100%

If you think the people behind the Patriot Act, DHS, and Gitmo will let this stand? You're insane.

--- End quote ---
-wraith808 (January 19, 2012, 09:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Absolutely!

They will not stop until they get their way. We're heading full steam into a prison constructed by twisted control freaks -- they're building it around us while we sleep. The recent protest was nothing more than the growl and snap of a sleeping dog reacting to a nightmare.

They will ram their police state legislation down our throats, and if they fail there, they'll ram it up our asses.

NSFW extended metaphorIf you can't taste their cock, it's because it's in your ass.

From another story:

http://www.infowars.com/internet-wars-anonymous-attacks-doj-after-feds-shut-down-megaupload/

The conspicuously timed raid “on Megaupload Thursday proved that the feds don’t need SOPA or its sister legislation, PIPA, in order to pose a blow to the Web,” writes the AnonOps Communications blog.
--- End quote ---

Exactly. SOPA and PIPA are NOT about piracy. They are Trojan horses to be used to silence dissent. SOPA and PIPA are anti-free speech.

TaoPhoenix:
This is one of the few sites with NSFW hiding buttons. I like that. Are users (Not mods) putting those on their posts and how do you do it?

Y'all are right that there's the Bluenose theme quietly silencing the far edges of the responses we'd really rather make. It's a really bounded version of the school bully trick "I'll bully you because I know the teachers won't care / be around every time, then when you lose your cool it will be when they conveniently are."

And re: your metaphor - there's lots of them to help with the ...

TaoPhoenix:

Ya gotta wonder...

This is not going to end well...

-Renegade (January 19, 2012, 09:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

What kind of unbelievable pace is this going at?! Damn I wish InternetSpeed was left for Kittens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version