topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ashampoo Photo Commander 9: $9.99  (Read 6199 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ashampoo Photo Commander 9: $9.99
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:16 PM »
http://r.ashampoo.co...4604&lk=KirIvrqJ

Ashampoo Photo Commander 9 is quite new. I don't *feel* it is worth the normal $50 price tag, but I really think it gives good value for the money at only $9.99. It even has a "30 days money back guarantee".

2011-12-23_191323.gif

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:50 PM by Curt »

jeme

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ashampoo Photo Commander 9: $9.99
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 12:38 PM »
Wow, they actually give 70% discount to their entire program until tomorrow – see https://www.ashampoo.com/en/eur/lpa/xmas ...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 03:26 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder about all these image editors.  There are so many of them now.  Maybe we need a DC review   :huh:

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:05 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder about all these image editors.  There are so many of them now.  Maybe we need a DC review   :huh:

Problem is, I think, different packages have different strengths.

I use Serif's PhotoPlus X4 (commercial, pretty decent and I get discounts having been a Serif customer for millennia) but have recently found that the colour manipulation facilities and algorithms in Sagelight beat anything else I've tried hands down. But for layer-based editing, it's still PhotoPlus.

But Xara's P&G7 has a really good tool for removing unwanted junk from photos. Mostly, though, it's a vector editor with a good pedigree and a community of enthusiasts -- and an interface I struggle to get my head around.

(I last tried Ashampoo's thing a couple of versions back and thought it average to poor. But my take on this stuff is always extremely subjective, so probably best not to ask me to do a proper comparitive. :) )

-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Problem is, I think, different packages have different strengths.
You're probably right, but Adobe's are, for better or worse, a de facto standard.

I use Serif's PhotoPlus X4 (commercial, pretty decent and I get discounts having been a Serif customer for millennia)
And how many e-mails have you received brightly urging you to upgrade to X5?  :)

But Xara's P&G7 has a really good tool for removing unwanted junk from photos.
I think moderator Carol Haynes is a big fan of Xara stuff.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:30 PM »
But Xara's P&G7 has a really good tool for removing unwanted junk from photos.
I think moderator Carol Haynes is a big fan of Xara stuff.

Xara started out as a vector programme, I wonder how advanced the photo aspect is...
Tom

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:08 AM »
Xara started out as a vector programme, I wonder how advanced the photo aspect is...
They bury the photo manipulation stuff quite deep, considering the fact that "Photo" is the first word in the name after "Xara". My view on it so far -- given that I've had a copy for a while and still tend to defer to Sagelight and Serif first, for photo work -- is that it's still primarily vector-oriented and the interface is still too, er, Xara to make it a good tool for photo manipulation for non-Xara fans.

What I need to do, I guess, is force myself to use it for something, rather than take the line of least learning curve, and see if I get good results. I think I'm too lazy. :)
-- bests, Tim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:09 AM »
^ well that's a judgement in itself :D

I have Sagelight myself (and illustrator & Freehand for vector) so probably not going to be investing in Xara anyway...
Tom

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:33 AM »
^ well that's a judgement in itself :D
I expected it would be interpreted that way.  :)

Thing is, Xara (for vector work) is, and has been for many years, superb. Particularly the speed:functionality ratio is stunning. I want to get better with it, just because what can be done with it is quite breathtaking.

I'm usually a bit behind the curve with Xara, however. The pricing is normally beyond me so I pick up special offers on older versions and because it does stuff that (for me, anyway) is a bit less than mainstream, I keep it for cases of specific need but don't use it much.

The current thing brought a specific need (an awkward bit of photo manipulation that would have taken a very long time with a normal clone tool) and a special offer on pricing together and I bought into it. The "magic" extraction tool really is very good (even if I still have difficulty remembering how to get at it) and seems to match the capabilities of things I've only seen as very expensive Photoshop plugins.

The vector capabilities of Xara remain better than anything else I've ever used. It and a graphics tablet create the smoothest freehand lines I've ever been able to manage, without much (or sometimes any) need for post-editing of curves. But I CAN'T learn to like the interface.

I have Sagelight myself (and illustrator & Freehand for vector) so probably not going to be investing in Xara anyway...

I've never had the chance to play with Freehand. Well out of my budget range!  :mrgreen:
-- bests, Tim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:28 AM »

I've never had the chance to play with Freehand. Well out of my budget range!  :mrgreen:

veering off-topic now 
but just to say FreeHand looks pretty dead now (although there is a lawsuit proceeding against adobe - see http://www.freefreehand.org/).
I still use FreeHand in preference to Adobe Illustrator due to speed of FH (and slooowness of illustrator) - and familiarity I guess. Xara seems to have the speed advantage as well as you say.

Tom