topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DC Apps alternatives for LInux  (Read 19370 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DC Apps alternatives for LInux
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:57 AM »
I am seriously considering switch to linux and so far running few softwares under wine without any issues. As my offline work involves in programming domain, I have nothing to lose by switching to linux. Eclipse IDE and other programming lang sources. are accessible under linux, so there isn't any issue so far. Only thing I am finding it difficult is with some small apps for specific tasks, made in DC or outside DC and are windows only.

e.g.

• Find and Run Robot
  • URL Snooper
  • AHK? (not ironahk)

Any other DC software alternative available for linux?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DC Apps alternatives for LInux
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:03 AM »
My coding snack Excel2Html is explicitly also available for Linux, as it's written in Java ;D

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:38 AM »
Find and Run Robot

FWIW, I almost got FARR working under wine.  It does start up and various parts seem to work -- may be it's possible to get it fully working.  If you would rather go native, I recommend kupfer.

URL Snooper

A bit low-level, but I have used wireshark with some success.

AHK? (not ironahk)

I have found much less need for AHK under *nix -- though have happily used some of Skwire's software (e.g. sWeather) via wine.  Out of curiosity what kind of AHK functionality are you looking for?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:33 AM »
Thanks guys.

@ewemoa, I was thinking about making small handy widgets for text processing (word count and grammar stuff), I doubt AHK will work so thought about asking you guys if there is any powerful alternative on linux. I guess GTK and QT/Pyside seems to be the only option in case of linux.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 06:34 AM »

AHK? (not ironahk)

I have found much less need for AHK under *nix -- though have happily used some of Skwire's software (e.g. sWeather) via wine.  Out of curiosity what kind of AHK functionality are you looking for?

You could spend some time getting conversant with the Bourne Shell if you're looking for similar functionality. That's what they put it in there for. :) ;)

geeklogo.gifDC Apps alternatives for LInux

And ignore those odd-looking people who will tell you anything you can possibly want to do can be done better and faster in EMACS.
It probably can. But you don't want to start hanging out with that crew. ;D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:47 AM by 40hz »

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:21 AM »
You could spend some time getting conversant with the Bourne Shell if you're looking for similar functionality. That's what they put it in there for. :) ;)
 (see attachment in previous post)
And ignore those odd-looking people who will tell you anything you can possibly want to do can be done better and faster in EMACS.
It probably can. But you don't want to start hanging out with that crew. ;D
:lol:  emacs is a world unto itself.   You might want to learn vi  just because it's available 99.99% of the time.

Insert Brilliant Sig line here

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:56 AM »
Aren't emacs what are worn by dirty old men on the internet?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Aren't emacs what are worn by dirty old men on the internet?
-cranioscopical (January 19, 2012, 11:56 AM)

No. Those are eeeeew!!!-macs I think.

Which usually come with a pair of crepe-soled (creep-souled?) shoes.

Don't be afraid. Be very afraid. ;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Aw smokes, not another emacs vs. vi thread :nono2:
Just for the record...
I use Nano! :harhar:

Congrats on coming over to the dark side, mahesh, I and others here are at your service should you need it.
On that note...

Gnome-Do is, I think, the closest to what FARR does, and Docky is it's launchbar cousin.
Keep in mind it is written in Mono, which some find unappealing, but that also means If you're familiar with C#/.NET, then you'll probably find it easier to tweak/extend/bugfix.
KRunner is the KDE counterpart.
Launchy, Synapse, and Kupfer are alternatives.

There really isn't an alternative to URL Snooper, aside from the online video download services.
Maybe there's a Firefox extension that does something similar?

AutoHotKey is hard to beat, but there are quite a few powerful scripting languages readily available in most Linux distros, in fact perhaps too many.
(G)Awk+sed, Perl, and Lex/Yacc + Flex/Bison are all classics that deserve a look for their powerful regular-expression integration.
Python you already know, Ruby, Lua, Tcl/Tk, are some higher-level ones you might get familiar with, though they all have their quirks and advantages.
PyGTK would be the alternative to PySide, though I'll admit Qt takes the prize for cross-compatibility.
Glade makes for a good alternative to QtCreator as well.

If you just need to pass a few infos to your shell scripts via simple dialog boxes, Zenity or it's fork Yad will do quite nicely.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:11 AM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Aw smokes, not another emacs vs. vi thread :nono2:

Hope not. I don't think DC has enough bandwidth or storage space for one of those pointless debates. ;D

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01 PM »
  • AHK? (not ironahk)

I nice AHK-like program for Linux is Autokey. It uses Python as its scripting language but is otherwise similar in function to AHK: "AutoKey is a desktop automation utility for Linux and X11. It allows you to manage collection of scripts and phrases, and assign abbreviations and hotkeys to these. This allows you to execute a script or insert text on demand in whatever program you are using. AutoKey features a subset of the capabilities of the popular Windows-based AutoHotkey, but is not intended as a full replacement. For a Linux-based implementation of AutoHotkey, see IronAHK."
RetroRoleplaying -- Tabletop Roleplaying Games Before D20
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45 PM »
LMAO... vi vs. emacs... not from me!  It's all personal preference.

Would that all of DC loved Linux as much as some of us do. :)

I'm just thinking first DC, next the world...

There are some places that Linux falls flat in usability.  Maybe the happy hackers at DC can correct that ;)

I currently work for large, top xx corp where we started rolling Linux almost 3 years ago.  Today we have 1,350+ servers, we have version control, configuration management, central management, etc. 

<tooting my own horn>
We are the only platform to pass internal audit, and we did it the first time around.  Hey -- We had a green field and the whole of google to tell us what to do.  I'm just the guy who took advantage of it :)
</toot>

Server Linux is 100% ready to rule the world.

Desktop, not so much....  DC to the rescue!  :P
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Thanks edvard, rover, 40hz, rssaphire for help. It feels much clutterless while using linux desktop instead of windows atleast for now. I don't have av yet and i don't think i need it as of now. Anyway, I listen to radiosure trance channels and often record the sets. Is there any radiosure alternative or similar software for linux?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Anyway, I listen to radiosure trance channels and often record the sets. Is there any radiosure alternative or similar software for linux?

Tons.

I'm partial to Radio Tray. Don't know if it will fit the bill for you, but it's pretty much what I use for background streaming internet radio. It's not blinged out that much. But that's one of the reasons I like it since I'm not a 'dial' twiddler. I tend to do a "set & forget" when I find a channel I like.

It's also in the repositories of many distros, so you shouldn't need to hunt it down.

Alternatively, you can do a keyword search in your distro's package manager and see what's available. Since it doesn't really cost you anything but time to try several, there's bound to be something lurking in there that will work for you.

A fairly decent list of Linux based audio apps can be found here and here.

A good general guide to Linux audio can be found here.

Any other questions or things we NIXers can help you with, just let us know. :) :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:27 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 02:23 AM »
Thanks edvard, rover, 40hz, rssaphire for help.
No problem, always glad to help
 Anyway, I listen to radiosure trance channels and often record the sets. Is there any radiosure alternative or similar software for linux?
Like 40Hz said, there are tons, but if you want to record what you're listening to, and you know the address of your favorite streams, check these out:
http://lifehacker.co...pper-and-streamtuner
http://www.mplayerhq...ML/en/streaming.html

I've used streamripper on Windows before, and they are right, some overlap happens.
Shouldn't be a huge deal with long DJ sets though...
Don't know about mplayer, never used it.
Some people seem to think it's quite awesome, though.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Thanks for the Linux audio information 40hz.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I nice AHK-like program for Linux is Autokey. It uses Python as its scripting language but is otherwise similar in function to AHK

I didn't succeed in getting it to work with xterm.  Has any one else had luck with this?

Found this bit about using some other terminal:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=703736&page=11

Hmm...

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45 PM »
mahesh2k: Which distribution(s) are you trying?

I tried putting together some .deb packges for some Windows apps (to run via wine) and am testing them out.  If they work out, may be I'll make them available for download.  Any interest?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 06:52 PM »
I'm using ubuntu 11.04 on hard drive (and Slitaz in virtualbox). I do have Ubuntu 10.04/11.10 discs, just in case if i need them.

Sure, I can test those packages if you want.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I'm not familiar with whether / how well .deb files made for Debian will work on Ubuntu, but FWIW, the following is what I have for a recent beta for HFS:

HFS .deb

MD5: 7b3eb6c3bb50591ead14fb809dad84bf

Installation, usage, etc:

• Install via: sudo dpkg -i debfilename
  • Run via: hfs
  • Uninstall via: sudo apt-get remove hfs

After running hfs for the first time, a subdirectory should be created under your home directory named .hfs.  After uninstallation, you may want to delete this subdirectory but possibly keep (backup) any settings that may be in that directory.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:38 AM by ewemoa »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 03:12 PM »
ewemoa: I'm interested and I downloaded HFS.deb to my desktop in Knoppix. I would probably use it in Kubuntu or Mint since both say they are Debian based.

This branching to Linux topics is very welcome.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 03:22 PM »
I'm not familiar with whether / how well .deb files made for Debian will work on Ubuntu, but FWIW, the following is what I have for a recent beta for HFS:

DEBs generally work fine in Ubuntu or Mint since they are Debian under the hood. The generic DEBs may not work as well as packages specifically tweaked for your distro since many of them go off in their own directions with desktops and windows manager customizations. About the worst thing you'll run into is a dependency issue (missing or version problems).

What might cause you more of a problem is the beta status of what you're installing.

If it were in your distro's repository, the worst that might happen would be it acting flaky or crashing - in which case you just uninstall it. With a DEB however there's a very small, but very real chance of it breaking something if it stomps on a customized 'something' in your installation. More of a chance that could happen since it's a beta package.

So proceed with maybe just a tiny bit caution... :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:26 PM »
I'm interested and I downloaded HFS.deb to my desktop in Knoppix. I would probably use it in Kubuntu or Mint since both say they are Debian based.

Please let me know how it goes if you give it a try.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 05:27 PM »
The generic DEBs may not work as well as packages specifically tweaked for your distro since many of them go off in their own directions with desktops and windows manager customizations. About the worst thing you'll run into is a dependency issue (missing or version problems).

Thanks for the hints and tips!

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I'll get right on your deb file, have to fix my linux box.

In between, I was planning to use pyside for porting some of the coding snacks apps to linux. Only issue here is that I have trouble working with pyside on windows right now. I'll update shortly.