ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Apps alternatives for LInux

(1/6) > >>

mahesh2k:
I am seriously considering switch to linux and so far running few softwares under wine without any issues. As my offline work involves in programming domain, I have nothing to lose by switching to linux. Eclipse IDE and other programming lang sources. are accessible under linux, so there isn't any issue so far. Only thing I am finding it difficult is with some small apps for specific tasks, made in DC or outside DC and are windows only.

e.g.

* Find and Run Robot
* URL Snooper
* AHK? (not ironahk)
Any other DC software alternative available for linux?

Ath:
My coding snack Excel2Html is explicitly also available for Linux, as it's written in Java ;D

ewemoa:
Find and Run Robot
-mahesh2k (January 19, 2012, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, I almost got FARR working under wine.  It does start up and various parts seem to work -- may be it's possible to get it fully working.  If you would rather go native, I recommend kupfer.

URL Snooper

--- End quote ---

A bit low-level, but I have used wireshark with some success.

AHK? (not ironahk)

--- End quote ---

I have found much less need for AHK under *nix -- though have happily used some of Skwire's software (e.g. sWeather) via wine.  Out of curiosity what kind of AHK functionality are you looking for?

mahesh2k:
Thanks guys.

@ewemoa, I was thinking about making small handy widgets for text processing (word count and grammar stuff), I doubt AHK will work so thought about asking you guys if there is any powerful alternative on linux. I guess GTK and QT/Pyside seems to be the only option in case of linux.

40hz:

AHK? (not ironahk)
-mahesh2k (January 19, 2012, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have found much less need for AHK under *nix -- though have happily used some of Skwire's software (e.g. sWeather) via wine.  Out of curiosity what kind of AHK functionality are you looking for?
-ewemoa (January 19, 2012, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

You could spend some time getting conversant with the Bourne Shell if you're looking for similar functionality. That's what they put it in there for. :) ;)

DC Apps alternatives for LInux

And ignore those odd-looking people who will tell you anything you can possibly want to do can be done better and faster in EMACS.
It probably can. But you don't want to start hanging out with that crew. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version