ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

DC going offline to protest SOPA on Jan 18

<< < (5/16) > >>

rgdot:
Welcome back.

Probably can expect a SOPA/PIPA 'successor' after the US election

mouser:
For those who missed it:
DC going offline to protest SOPA on Jan 18

Target:
I also fail to see the value of this, but I guess it makes a statement of sorts

I can't help wondering if there's a better way of registering a protest - I have no idea if it's possible, but is it possible to block access to certain domains (government, media, RIAA, etc).  While it could be seen as tit for tat, it's also a demonstration of what might be expected if the legislation goes through...

just a thought

Renegade:
And.. we're back!

That was a very long 24 hours offline -- felt like a month to me.

And by the way it seems like the internet protests have had an effect: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/pipa-support-collapses-with-13-new-opponents-in-senate.ars
-mouser (January 19, 2012, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like a lot of flip-flopping there... I think that's a list of politicians that really shouldn't be re-elected. They're doing the same back-peddling as GoDaddy -- they're not sincere.

Even the snakes that co-sponsored it are flipping.

Carol Haynes:
Given that a lot of illegal video is captured from the studios own streaming websites - would a simple solution to reducing piracy be for ISPs to block the studio websites at DNS level? Of course the studio wouldn't get the revenue for the streaming either - but that is a minimal side effect given that they are so worried about privacy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version