topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SC doesn't capture cursor on web pages  (Read 9485 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SC doesn't capture cursor on web pages
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Salvete!  I use SC to capture portions of my sharepoint site, and then I send the images in email via thunderbird in order to show people how to do things (I am admin).  My problem is that SC won't capture the mouse cursor inside of any web page.  It will capture any open menu, highlighted menu item, or anything else - just no mouse cursor!  And I need it to capture that.  Is there a setting I have missed?  I can capture the mouse cursor in all other programs - just not Firefox.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: SC doesn't capture cursor on web pages
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Strange, it's capturing cursor here on firefox.  What operating system are you using? What capture mode are you using? Do you have the option set to Capture Cursor?   It's in right-click context menu.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Oh!  I'm sorry.  That was dumb of me not to give system stats.  I am using Windows XP Pro and SC v2.103.01, and Firefox 9.0.1.  Yes, "capture cursor" is checked in the system tray menu.

I push printscreen, then select the area, just like normal, and when the "New Screenshot" window appears, there is no cursor in the image, even then.  I know, it seems strange to me too.  But I have always had this problem with SC - and I've been using it for several years now.  I've never been able to capture the mouse cursor.  As soon as I push printscreen, the cursor disappears - and it happens like that only in Firefox and Thunderbird.  Every other program will allow the cursor to be captured.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:34 PM »
I push printscreen, then select the area,

Try doing a whole screen capture (or active window capture), rather than a REGION capture.  And tell me if that captures the cursor.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:57 PM »
That captures it!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 03:58 PM »
ok so that solves the mystery -- i think this came up before, ill see what i can do about captuing cursor in region capture mode.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Thank you so much!  I love SC quite a bit.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 04:52 PM »
hm, I've (just a few minutes ago) captured regions with cursor on FireFox 9 without hassle (select a region, then repeat last size & pos moving the cursor inside the region the second time), but then I'm on Win7 (x64), so that might be the 'solution'?

Maybe the OP needs to get his video drivers an update? And what video hardware is used (Intel built-in crap?)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55 PM »
The original OP reports that he is using Intel crap that comes with a Dell Precision T3400.  He is using an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29 AM »
The original OP reports that he is using Intel crap that comes with a Dell Precision T3400.  He is using an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290.
The crap part was intended and directed at the built-in video of the Intel processors and/or chipsets, not the rest of the processor :tellme:
Do you have the latest WHQL supported nVidia drivers for your NVS 290 installed? I've seen a lot of vague display-related issues caused by either old or non-WHQL drivers. Windows can act up in strange ways, because of that :-\

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Okay, you got me there.  I am using driverzone to find drivers that need updating, and discovered there is a newer version.  I'll try that and see what happens.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Honestly I don't think there is a mystery here as to the cause -- I don't think the cursor is captured in region select mode because the cursor is typically outside of the region as you select the end point of the region.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00 AM »
I updated the nvidia driver to vga_driver_nvidia_xp32_285.66, but the problem persists.

@mouser, but the mouse cursor disappears immediately when I push the printscreen button.  It dissappears even before I select any region.  Really, I'm not so inept,however, as to complain that the cursor isn't being captured in a place where the cursor didn't exist. :tellme:  I know I am capturing the area where the mouse cursor was.  However, since I updated the nvidia driver, I find that I can't capture the mouse cursor at all in a select-region command.  But it does capture the mouse in window-capture mode, and whole-screen mode.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 12:38 PM »
I dont think SC captures the mouse pointer *anywhere* when using "Grab selected region" (Shift+PrtScr).
Well it doesnt for me anyways...

If text is active, the text cursor is captured with this method.

(win7)
Tom

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 01:20 PM »
hm, I've (just a few minutes ago) captured regions with cursor on FireFox 9 without hassle (select a region, then repeat last size & pos moving the cursor inside the region the second time), but then I'm on Win7 (x64), so that might be the 'solution'?

Hmm...  Maybe I am inept....  I think I understand now.  I'm sorry, fellows, I assumed that SC would capture the cursor too with Grab Region.  It never occurred to me that it wasn't the case, so long as "capture cursor" was enabled.  After y'all's comments, I figured I must be missing something.  And, well, now I know I was.

It seems like a lot of steps: Start Capture Region, select region, discard image (I use the popup), reposition mouse in the invisible location (where you have to remember the bounds), and then "Repeat Grab" and then accept the image (with the popup, again) - all to get a grabbed region with the mouse cursor.  Maybe this could be an option, therefore?  To me, it seems very intuitive to "Grab Region" and get the mouse cursor if "Capture Cursor" is enabled.

Thanks for y'all's comments - now I understand what is happening.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 01:26 PM »
the repeat grab is not the way i would recommend.. actually i always recomment people just capture whole screen and then crop from sc.

but to let people capture cursor in region cap more, i can add a delay before capturing a region when you want to capture cursor, to give you time to move it where you want it.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Well, there is already a delay feature, but I have tried that, but it just delays before allowing you to select the capture region.  A delay before manually selecting a region seems rather unprofitable, maybe if "Use Delay" affected "Grab Region" differently.  Perhaps with "Use Delay" enabled (using the ms paramter's value), you could select the region and *then* the delay would come into play, which is what I think you are suggesting.  But my point is, that this could be how the delay actually should work with "Grab Region".  Does that make sense?  (Please imagine that I am speaking very humbly)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 01:43 PM »
the repeat grab is not the way i would recommend..

I just used that to prove that even Grab Selected Region can capture the mouse cursor from FF. Capturing the mouse cursor while using Grab Selected region would be impossible without a delay, to move the mouse back inside the selection :huh:

this could be how the delay actually should work with "Grab Region".
I'd formalize this into a feature request, :up: if needed :D

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Thanks, Ath, I'll do that straightaway. 8)
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=29593

Also, I understand exactly why you used the double screen grab procedure.  That way you don't have to do any cropping - you just have to remember where your grab-box was.  It's 6 one way, half-dozen the other. ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:28 PM by BGM »