ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Of course you know, this means WAR Gentlemen!" Microsoft makes its move.

(1/6) > >>

40hz:
Microsoft never ceases to amaze...or quit.

This in from OSNews:

Link to full article here.

* Microsoft Forces OEMs To Lock Devices Into Windows 8 Using UEFI
posted by Thom Holwerda on Fri 13th Jan 2012 16:20 UTC, submitted by moondevil

And so the war on general computing continues. Were you looking forward to ARM laptops and maybe even desktops now that Windows 8 will also be released for ARM? I personally was, because I'd much rather have a thin, but fast and economical machine than a beastly Intel PC. Sadly, it turns out that all our fears regarding UEFI's Secure Boot feature were justified: Microsoft prohibits OEMs from allowing you to install anything other than Windows 8 on ARM devices (the Software Freedom Law Center has more).

I had honestly hoped that I was wrong with my concerns over Secure Boot. Really, I hoped so hard. Sadly, 'tis not to be true. It turns out Microsoft has been lying to us all this time (shocker, right?), and despite their sugared words, they're definitely going to force OEMs into not allowing anything but Windows to be installed on ARM devices.

In response to the initial concerns over Secure Boot's potential anti-alternative operating system nature, Microsoft stated it would not force OEMs into anything. "OEMs have the ability to customize their firmware to meet the needs of their customers by customizing the level of certificate and policy management on their platform," Redmond promised, "Microsoft does not mandate or control the settings on PC firmware that control or enable secured boot from any operating system other than Windows."

Well, dip me in white chocolate and call me Lorelai, but the company has amended its Windows Hardware Certification Requirements, stating that OEMs are not allowed to disable Secure Boot on ARM machines, or even offer the option for users to turn it off ...
--- End quote ---

The above article contains a link to the Software Freedom Law Center's assessment of what Microsoft has gotten up to. Read it here.

Suggestion: Read the both articles. Then get angry. Then get very angry. Then start complaining. Loudy and to anyone within earshot.
 >:(

app103:
Another step closer.

hpearce:
In the final analysis, if you don't like windows or how it operates.... don't buy it.

Josh:
In the final analysis, if you don't like windows or how it operates.... don't buy it.

-hpearce (January 14, 2012, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
It is amazing how many problems would be solved if people followed this philosophy.

Renegade:

--- End quote ---

It's not that easy... When your clients demand it, you follow. Otherwise, you and your family starve. Very simple.

--- End quote ---
It is amazing how many problems would be solved if people followed this philosophy.
-Josh (January 14, 2012, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the thing -- we need more people to ditch it. The MS ecosystem is simply too pervasive.

I cannot ditch MS entirely. There's simply no way. I make my living on it. I'm not willing to starve my family because of "principles". My first priority is my family, and there's no way out for me with MS.

Yeah... It sucks... But until more people opt out of MS locked technologies, I'm going to be dragged along with them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version