ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nasty NTFS issue ? [Solved !]

<< < (4/6) > >>

MerleOne:
@Shades : thanks ! 

Still, what troubles me is why this defect would be revealed by a chkdsk@boottime. 

Shades:
Recently (after a power failure) I got a hard disk acting up. Not always, but after a random write action it would notify me that the SATA controller was acting up and preventing me from writing anything anymore while the complete system would grind to a halt (extremely slow).

So I use MHDD on the hard disk (2TB) I suspected to be the troublemaker and it found one error. After deducing that this error was located in one partition, I do not write to that particular partition anymore and the HD did not act up anymore.

As that partition contains data which I cannot move (with the current HD prices), I did the next best thing...splitting up that particular partition, so the part with the error is not accessible. Happy sailing ever since.

With the story above I just want to say that error messages and error causes are not always as closely related as you might expect. Re-attaching SATA cables (on both ends!) is the first thing I do when experiencing errors which could be (remotely) related to hard disk I/O. You would not believe how much computer problems are related to less than optimal connections.

MerleOne:
Thanks !  And BTW, try using HDD Regen demo version on this HDD.  If you know the approximate location, it will speed up the process.  AFAIK, the demo version allows the repair of one bad sector, then exits.  If there is just one it should be ok.  Beware that repair here means content destroyed, but no longer bothering the HDD controller.

4wd:
Still, what troubles me is why this defect would be revealed by a chkdsk@boottime.  
-MerleOne (January 14, 2012, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because at boot time there are files that aren't locked by the operating system and are therefore accessible for testing.  That's why it's always better to do an offline test and the main reason I always have some form of PE to boot from.

cmpm:
You could try these tools.
Let them run overnight, they take a while.
The rootkit detector will find stuff that is supposed be there though.
You should be able to spot the trouble, if any.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit/download.aspx

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/conficker-removal-tool/download.aspx

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/aurora-malware-removal-tool/download.aspx

Twice I was able to fix 2 different problems with the rootkit detector.
Once there was some .contentIE5 that was messing up my browsing.
Removed all the .contentIE5 stuff.

Never a boot problem with chkdsk as you describe,
but Sophos is very thorough imo.

A reboot is required after removal of problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version